Should you read a textbook more than once for mastery?

• Thread starter rxh140630
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Textbook
In summary: The number of times you read the material. I have read textbooks more than once, and I have also tried to understand the material without reading it more than once.
rxh140630
One of my professors is a very smart man and has done a lot of very important work/research. He says to obtain mastery you want to read a book front to back about 3 times. Is this an accurate statement in your experience? I feel that it may be.

Likes Leo Liu
Physics news on Phys.org
Nowhere as experienced as your prof, but I would say that time is always an important constraint.
Do you have time to work through the same book three times?

To my shame, I have never finished a textbook that I was trying to work though in my spare time completely. I like to understand the things that I read thoroughly, i.e. I get stuck on details and on entire chapters, trying to clarify questions before I move on. Doing it like this means that you take much longer than if you just read it not caring about stuff you don't understand. However, it might also mean that you don't have to read it again after you have finished.

In order to not get stuck infinitely, I started writing down questions that I came across. Is the particular question important to understand the next chapters? Then try to clarify it immediately. Is it just some minor detail? Just move on, and come back to the question after you have finished.

Likes Leo Liu, member 587159, JC2000 and 1 other person
It is true that textbooks are to be studied. Some are used for reference and others are read (essentially) all the way through. I doubt that I have ever read any textbook from beginning to end. Even if you go to a book only for reference, the part that you look at can be studied until it is clear.

Likes hutchphd
I am an absolute believer in the general physics rule of three: that I need to see a subject at least thrice (separated by "enough" time) in order to begin to understand it. At university perhaps only one of the iterations is reading the book and that makes it better. The intervening time is also important, but I am unsure of its required duration...

Likes Adesh
There is nothing magic doing something a given number of times to achieve proficiency. You do something as often as necessary to gain the desired proficiency or required understanding.

Likes FactChecker
rxh140630 said:
One of my professors is a very smart man and has done a lot of very important work/research. He says to obtain mastery you want to read a book front to back about 3 times. Is this an accurate statement in your experience? I feel that it may be.
Yes, three works roughly for me as well. Also, to learn something from two different sources seems to be important. It's the crossover between the same idea in two different contexts that seems to lodge the idea in my brain.

• Informative
Likes Leo Liu
You don't read a textbook. You work through a textbook.

Likes econreader
What works for me is reading something more advanced when I finish a topic. That makes the previous topic look easy.

Likes Adesh and PeroK
rxh140630 said:

Did you bother to ask him what he meant by "read a book"?

If you tell this to a non-science person, he/she will scratch his/her head and ask "what's the big deal of reading a book more than once?"

If you take the literal meaning of this, and read your general physics text, I can assure you that no matter how many times you "read" it, you won't learn anything beyond a superficial understanding of it. One doesn't "read" a physics textbook. As Vanadium pointed out, one has to work through a physics textbook.

I will quote Mary Boas in her "To The Student" preface in her classic "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences":

The only way to develop the skill necessary to use this material in your later courses is to practice by solving many problems. Always study with pencil and paper at hand. Don't just read through a solved problem - try to do it yourself! Then solve some similar ones from the problem set for that section...

That is how you work through a physics textbook if you want to understand the material. You don't just "read" it as if it's a novel.

Zz.

Likes radium, symbolipoint and JC2000
rxh140630 said:
No, it is very inaccurate a statement. Two things are important: (1) What you do with the material you read, while or as you read it, (2) How fast you examine/read/work-with the material you read; and when each of those is attended, (3) doing those two things 3 times might be enough or maybe not. Doing some of the book a fourth time might be very useful, or might only be for refreshment review; or maybe even at some future point, a fifth time "reading" might be useful.

rxh140630 said:
Regardless of whether you read the book or work through the book, there's another factor you should consider. It's rare for a single text to provide a great explanation of every topic that it attempts to explain. It might be really good at topics A-F, OK at G-K, and lousy at L-P. You won't know until you compare other texts. So if you go over (whatever that means) the entire text front-to-back 3 times over, the time and effort spent on A-F may have been well spent, on G-K partly wasted, and on L-P entirely wasted.

hutchphd said:
I am an absolute believer in the general physics rule of three: that I need to see a subject at least thrice (separated by "enough" time) in order to begin to understand it.
That phrase "begin to understand it" really feels like intimate to me, it happens to me many a times that I "know" something but my mind finds it as an "alien" and that's what it means that I don't "understand" it. Just because I can solve exercises of some topic after reading it doesn't mean that I have "understood" it, I should feel "familiar" (yes it should feel like a family member) to me.

Related to Should you read a textbook more than once for mastery?

1. Should I read a textbook more than once for mastery?

Yes, reading a textbook more than once is often necessary for mastery. This allows for better retention of the material and deeper understanding.

2. How many times should I read a textbook for mastery?

This can vary depending on the individual and the complexity of the material. Some people may need to read a textbook multiple times, while others may only need to read it once. It is important to read until you feel confident in your understanding of the material.

3. Is it better to read a textbook multiple times or to review notes and summaries?

Reading a textbook multiple times is generally more beneficial for mastery. This allows for a more thorough understanding of the material and helps to reinforce key concepts. However, reviewing notes and summaries can also be helpful in conjunction with multiple readings.

4. Can I just skim through a textbook instead of reading it multiple times?

Skimming through a textbook may be helpful for a quick review, but it is not as effective as reading it multiple times for mastery. Skimming may lead to missing important information and not fully understanding the material.

5. How can I make the most out of reading a textbook multiple times?

Take notes, highlight key points, and actively engage with the material while reading. This will help with retention and understanding. It is also helpful to take breaks in between readings to allow for better processing of the information.