Shouldn't dwarf planets be a subset of planets?

• B
  • Thread starter Jupiter60
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Planets
In summary, dwarf planets should be considered a type of planet, as they are a subset of planets just like dwarf stars are a subset of stars and dwarf galaxies are a subset of galaxies. While there is already a subset of stars and every main sequence star has a spectral type and a subset number, there is no need to create a more general category that includes both planets and dwarf planets. The IAU definition of planet has been criticized and many practitioners of planetary astronomy consider dwarf planets to be planets. Overall, dwarf planets should be classified as a type of planet, as they are not something different from planets, but rather a smaller version of them.
Jupiter60
After all, dwarf stars are a subset of stars and dwarf galaxies are a subset of galaxies, shouldn't a dwarf planet be a type of a planet?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I suppose the powers that be could call all of them "planets" and add a category of "major planets", but they don't really need to: for scientific consensus purposes, definitions are decided on by the people who write them and can be whatever they want them to be.

Likes 1oldman2
Jupiter60 said:
After all, dwarf stars are a subset of stars and dwarf galaxies are a subset of galaxies, shouldn't a dwarf planet be a type of a planet?
Dwarf main sequences stars are not a subset of main sequence stars, nor are dwarf galaxies a subset of galaxies. They are simply smaller stars, smaller galaxies, and smaller planets. Red dwarf (spectral type M) stars should not be confused with degenerate white dwarf stars. While they are both very small stars, one still fuses hydrogen (the red dwarf), whereas the other is a dead star (the white dwarf) and no longer fuses hydrogen.

Every stellar classification also has "dwarf" stars. Our own sun, for example, is a spectral type G2V and more imprecisely called either a "yellow dwarf" or a "G dwarf" star. "Dwarf" in this case merely refers to its size.

Besides there is already a subset of stars. Every main sequence star has a spectral type (O, B, A, F, G, K, M) and a subset number that refers to its effective surface temperature (0 through 9).

Last edited:
Why "should" they? Would that change in structure of the categorization lead to a change in their physical properties? Of course not. The utility of a categorization is to enable generalization (abstraction) and/or improve communication. Which purpose would that change address and how? Your question seems to me to be equivalent to asking whether the word "planet" should be capitalized. What possible difference would it make? Many (if not most) of their similarities with the planets are known, so there seems to be no good reason to invent a more general category which includes both planets and dwarf planets and nothing else. You may want to read more about the criticisms of the IAU definition of planet - Wikipedia article of that name discussed it, iirc.

Likes russ_watters
ogg said:
Why "should" they? Would that change in structure of the categorization lead to a change in their physical properties? Of course not. The utility of a categorization is to enable generalization (abstraction) and/or improve communication. Which purpose would that change address and how? Your question seems to me to be equivalent to asking whether the word "planet" should be capitalized. What possible difference would it make? Many (if not most) of their similarities with the planets are known, so there seems to be no good reason to invent a more general category which includes both planets and dwarf planets and nothing else. You may want to read more about the criticisms of the IAU definition of planet - Wikipedia article of that name discussed it, iirc.

If dwarf planets are not planets, they should call them by some other name, not "dwarf planets". Dwarf stars are stars and dwarf galaxies are galaxies. They're not something different from stars and galaxies, they're a type of stars and galaxies.

Jupiter60 said:
If dwarf planets are not planets, they should call them by some other name, not "dwarf planets".
Why? What difference does it make?

Jupiter60 said:
If dwarf planets are not planets, they should call them by some other name, not "dwarf planets".
This is a red herring argument. Interestingly, red herrings are almost always neither red nor herrings.

Actually, I quite agree with Jupiter60. I don't know of a single other case in all of astronomy where a "X Y" is not a type of Y, except for "dwarf planet." I think it's quite a silly way to build a category and I hope they come to their senses soon. But it's rather moot, because most actual practitioners of planetary astronomy certainly do consider dwarf planets to be planets, indeed they consider moons to be planets also. They just don't care what the official designation of planet is, they care about the physics and geology that unifies these obects. That's why you will find moons within the general field of "planetary astronomy." The definition for "planet" is only used outside planetary science, it's for elementary schools.

Ken G said:
I don't know of a single other case in all of astronomy where a "X Y" is not a type of Y, except for "dwarf planet."
Every science has its oxymoronic terms, including astronomy. For example, neutron star and Martian geology.

I think it's quite a silly way to build a category and I hope they come to their senses soon. But it's rather moot, because most actual practitioners of planetary astronomy certainly do consider dwarf planets to be planets, indeed they consider moons to be planets also.
Not amongst dynamicists. Your hopes are most likely as moot as were those of the discoverers of the first four asteroids, which were categorized as planets for the first half of the 19th century.

D H said:
Every science has its oxymoronic terms, including astronomy. For example, neutron star and Martian geology.
All the same, neither of those are counterexamples to my point.
Not amongst dynamicists. Your hopes are most likely as moot as were those of the discoverers of the first four asteroids, which were categorized as planets for the first half of the 19th century.
So your logic is, if you can cite a subset of astronomers who care about the official meaning of "planet", and I can cite a subset who don't care at all what other people regard as "planets", that makes my point moot? I don't follow that logic. What I'm saying is, there is an entire subfield of astronomy called "planetary astronomy" which, in general, includes essentially zero interest in the IAU classification of "planet", but a whole lot of interest in the common physics, and contrasts, among objects that are of interest to "planetary astronomy." In that latter camp, a "dwarf planet" is very much a subclass of "planet", expressly because of the interesting physics they share with what the IAU might wish to call a "planet." For them, it makes no difference at all how many planets we count in the solar system, it is their physics that they care about.

Last edited:

Related to Shouldn't dwarf planets be a subset of planets?

1. Why are dwarf planets not considered full-fledged planets?

Dwarf planets are not considered full-fledged planets because they do not meet all the criteria set by the International Astronomical Union (IAU) for a planet. According to the IAU, a planet must orbit around the sun, have enough mass to form a spherical shape, and have cleared its orbit of other objects. Dwarf planets, on the other hand, do not have enough mass to clear their orbit of other objects.

2. How are dwarf planets different from regular planets?

Dwarf planets are different from regular planets in terms of size, shape, and orbital characteristics. They are much smaller than regular planets and often have irregular shapes. Additionally, they do not have enough mass to clear their orbit of other objects, unlike regular planets.

3. Shouldn't dwarf planets be considered a subset of planets since they are orbiting the sun?

While dwarf planets do orbit the sun, this is not the only criteria for being considered a planet. As mentioned earlier, the IAU has set specific criteria for a celestial body to be classified as a planet, and dwarf planets do not meet all of these criteria. Therefore, they cannot be considered a subset of planets.

4. Why was the definition of a planet changed to exclude dwarf planets?

The IAU changed the definition of a planet in 2006 to exclude dwarf planets because the discovery of new celestial bodies, such as Eris and Ceres, raised questions about how to classify them. The IAU wanted to create a clear and specific definition for a planet to avoid confusion and inconsistencies in classification.

5. Can dwarf planets ever be reclassified as regular planets in the future?

It is unlikely that dwarf planets will be reclassified as regular planets in the future. The IAU definition of a planet is based on scientific research and consensus, and any changes to this definition would require significant evidence and agreement from the scientific community. However, the classification of celestial bodies is always evolving, so it is possible that new discoveries may lead to changes in the definition of a planet.

Back