Show 2 functions have the same anti-derivative

• MHB
  • Thread starter NoWay1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, the question is to show that 2sin^2(x) and -cos(2x) have the same derivative. By using a double-angle identity for cosine, we can see that they are not equivalent but only differ by a constant. Therefore, they will have the same derivative.
NoWay1
So I have to show 2sin^2(x) and -cos(2x) have the same antiderative.

Here's how I approached this.

2sin^2(x) = 1-cos2x ==> u = 2x
intergral of that is
(u - sinu)/2 + c = x - (sinx)/2 + c

-cos2x ==> u = 2x
intregal of that is
(-sinu)/2 + c= -(sin2x)/2 + c

Have I calculated/approached this exercise wrongly? I don't see how they could be the same antiderative
I have another similar exercise with 2cos^2(x) and cos(2x).

Physics news on Phys.org
Since this question involves integral calculus, I have moved it here. :D

In order for two functions to have the same anti-derivative, they must in fact be equivalent. From a double-angle identity for cosine, we know:

\(\displaystyle \cos(2x)=1-2\sin^2(x)\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle -\cos(2x)=2\sin^2(x)-1\ne2\sin^2(x)\)

Thus, the two given functions are not equivalent, therefore they cannot have the same anti-derivative.

Can you use a similar line of reasoning for the second question?

Thanks a lot for the confirmation, way the question was presented was very confusing to me, as if they had to have the same antideravative

I think the question actually must be to show that the two functions have the same derivative.

As $\displaystyle \begin{align*} -\cos{(2\,x)} \equiv -\left[ 1 - 2\sin^2{(x)} \right] \equiv 2\sin^2{(x)} -1 \end{align*}$, which only differs from $\displaystyle \begin{align*} 2\sin^2{(x)} \end{align*}$ by a constant, they will in fact have the same derivatives.

This must be the answer I needed, thank you

Related to Show 2 functions have the same anti-derivative

What does it mean for two functions to have the same anti-derivative?

When two functions have the same anti-derivative, it means that their derivatives are equal. This is also known as the "fundamental theorem of calculus" and is an important concept in calculus.

How can I prove that two functions have the same anti-derivative?

In order to prove that two functions have the same anti-derivative, you must show that their derivatives are equal. This can be done through the use of algebraic manipulation or by using the "chain rule" and "product rule" for derivatives.

Can two functions have the same anti-derivative but still be different functions?

Yes, two functions can have the same anti-derivative but still be different functions. This is because the anti-derivative of a function is not unique, meaning that there can be multiple functions with the same derivative.

What are some common examples of functions with the same anti-derivative?

Some common examples of functions with the same anti-derivative include polynomials, trigonometric functions, and exponential functions. For example, both sin(x) and cos(x) have the same anti-derivative, which is -cos(x) + C.

Why is it important to understand when two functions have the same anti-derivative?

Understanding when two functions have the same anti-derivative is important because it allows us to simplify the process of finding integrals. By recognizing that two functions have the same anti-derivative, we can use this knowledge to quickly solve integrals without having to go through the entire process of integration by parts.