Show H & \bar{H} Topological Groups if H Subgroup of G

In summary, if H is a subgroup of G and is also a subspace of G, then both H and \bar{H} are topological groups. This means that the restrictions of the multiplication and inverse maps to H are continuous, and that \bar{H} is also closed under the operations. This shows that H and \bar{H} are topological groups.
tomboi03
Let H be a subspace of G. Show that if H is also a subgroup of G, then both H and[tex]\bar{H}[/tex] are topological groups.

So, this is what I've got...

if H is a subgroup of G then H [tex]\subset[/tex] G.
Since H is a subspace of G then H is an open subset.

But, i don't even know if that's right.
How do i do this?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Clearly H is a group and it's a topological space. It need not be an open set on the topology on G (if it's a subspace in the sense I think you mean - a subset with the subspace topology).

What you need to show is that the restrictions of the multiplication and inverse maps to H are still continuous.
The [tex]\overline{H}[/tex] is more tricky. You need to show that it is closed under the operations too.

Let me know if this helps?

Related to Show H & \bar{H} Topological Groups if H Subgroup of G

1. What is a topological group?

A topological group is a mathematical structure that combines the properties of a group and a topological space. It is a set equipped with a binary operation (usually denoted by multiplication) that is continuous with respect to a chosen topology on the set.

2. What is a subgroup of a topological group?

A subgroup of a topological group is a subset of the group that is closed under the group operation and also forms a topological group when equipped with the induced topology from the larger group.

3. How is the relationship between a subgroup and a topological group defined?

A subgroup H is a subset of a topological group G if it contains the identity element of G and is closed under the group operation. Additionally, the induced topology on H must make it a topological group in its own right.

4. What is the significance of a subgroup being closed under the group operation?

If a subgroup is closed under the group operation, it means that the result of performing the group operation on any two elements in the subgroup will also be an element of the subgroup. This is an important property for maintaining the group structure.

5. How does the concept of a topological group relate to other mathematical structures?

Topological groups are a combination of group theory and topology. They are closely related to other mathematical structures such as Lie groups, which are topological groups that are also differentiable manifolds. They are also related to algebraic groups, which are topological groups that are also algebraic varieties.