Show mechanical energy is not conserved in an inelastic collision.

In summary: The ratio of final to initial kinetic energy will be the inverse of that, (m1+m2)/m2, which is greater than 1.
brikayyy

Homework Statement

Using the equation for the final velocity of an inelastic collision, show that mechanical energy is not conserved in the collision. (Do this only with variables.)

Homework Equations

Vf = (m1v1i + m2v2i)/(m1 + m2)
KE = (1/2)mv2
TME = KE + PE

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly have no idea where to begin. I thought that maybe I could somehow use the equation of an elastic collision, but the problem says to use the one for inelastic collision.

Should I begin by rewriting the equation to look something like this?

Vf = Kf/Ki = [(1/2)m1v1i + (1/2)m2v2i]/[(1/2)(m1 + m2)]

TME has to equal zero if it's not conserved, right?

--

Thanks for any help provided!

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume that the case you are working on is the one in which after the collision the two bodies stick together right?? This is the classic case for inelastic collisions... and is compatible with the formula you give for the final velocity...

At this point you can just compute the final and initial kinetic energy... and for the final one you have an expression of the final velocity as function of the initial ones... you will easily see doing the math that this is different from the initial kinetic energy

tia89 said:
I assume that the case you are working on is the one in which after the collision the two bodies stick together right?? This is the classic case for inelastic collisions... and is compatible with the formula you give for the final velocity...

At this point you can just compute the final and initial kinetic energy... and for the final one you have an expression of the final velocity as function of the initial ones... you will easily see doing the math that this is different from the initial kinetic energy

Thanks for replying! Yes, it's completely safe to assume that. :)

I will try that, but I'm kind of confused as to why I'm computing kinetic energy? I thought that total mechanical energy would have to equal zero if it wasn't conserved, theoretically speaking.

brikayyy said:
I will try that, but I'm kind of confused as to why I'm computing kinetic energy? I thought that total mechanical energy would have to equal zero if it wasn't conserved, theoretically speaking.
Zero total mechanical energy after an inellastic collision only occurs if after the collision neither object is moving. In the more common case, total mechanical energy is reduced, but not to zero.

brikayyy said:
Thanks for replying! Yes, it's completely safe to assume that. :)

The final equation for v suggests a collision on a level straight, so TME = KE. If TME is not conserved, then TME of the two body system before the collision is not equal to TME afterwards.

For a conserved system, TME = const. so the total does not change with time.

brikayyy said:
I thought that total mechanical energy would have to equal zero if it wasn't conserved, theoretically speaking.

If something is indeed moving his mechanical energy will always be different from zero, as it will have some kinetic energy. Also in your case the ONLY way to have ##v_f=0## is that the initial velocity of one of the two bodies is already zero AND the mass of that object is infinite, OR the collision is head on and they have same mass and same velocity.

Now in your problem you have no indication of any potential energy involved, so mechanical energy reduces to kinetic energy. Non-conservation of that doesn't mean that final kinetic energy is zero (they would have to stop, so t is not general case) but that it is different from the initial kinetic energy. Do the math as I suggested and compare with the initial kinetic energy (simply the sum of the two initial kinetic energies) and you will see that this is the case.

One proof I've seen sets the starting velocity of one mass (say mass 2) to zero. It justifies this approach by saying if it wasn't zero you could make it so by using a co-ordinate system that moves at the initial velocity of mass 2.

So start with one mass stationary (eg V2i = 0) then..

Write an equation for conservation of momentum.
Write equations for the before and after KE.
Express as a ratio (eg KE Before/KE After)
Some things cancel
You are left with a ratio that must be >1.

tia89 said:
If something is indeed moving his mechanical energy will always be different from zero, as it will have some kinetic energy. Also in your case the ONLY way to have ##v_f=0## is that the initial velocity of one of the two bodies is already zero AND the mass of that object is infinite, OR the collision is head on and they have same mass and same velocity.
Or on a more general case, a head on collision where the magnitude of momentum of each object is the same: m1 v1 = - m2 v2,

Related to Show mechanical energy is not conserved in an inelastic collision.

1. How is mechanical energy defined?

Mechanical energy is the sum of kinetic and potential energy in a system. Kinetic energy is the energy of motion, while potential energy is the energy stored in an object due to its position or configuration.

2. What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision in which the total kinetic energy of the system is not conserved. This means that after the collision, the objects involved do not have the same amount of kinetic energy as they did before the collision.

3. Why is mechanical energy not conserved in an inelastic collision?

In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is converted into other forms of energy, such as sound, heat, or deformation. This means that the total mechanical energy of the system decreases, and therefore, it is not conserved.

4. Can mechanical energy be conserved in any type of collision?

No, mechanical energy can only be conserved in elastic collisions. In an elastic collision, the objects involved do not experience any loss of kinetic energy, and the total mechanical energy of the system remains constant.

5. How can the loss of mechanical energy be calculated in an inelastic collision?

The loss of mechanical energy in an inelastic collision can be calculated by subtracting the final mechanical energy of the system from the initial mechanical energy. The difference is the amount of energy that was converted into other forms during the collision.

Back