Show Sentences Proof: "Hey Again! (Wasntme)

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
In summary, the author discusses how a set can be considered a constant depending on the context, then goes on to explain how to prove that a set is contained in another set.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hey again! (Wasntme)

I want to show the following:

• If $t \in A$, then $t \subseteq \cup A$
  • $\cup \varnothing=\varnothing$
  • $ \cup \{ a \}=a$
  • Let $x \in t$.

So, $\exists t (t \in A \wedge x \in t) \rightarrow x \in \cup A$.
    Therefore, $t \subseteq A$.
  • $$x \in \cup \varnothing \leftrightarrow \exists b (b \in \varnothing \wedge x \in b)$$

The empty set $\varnothing$ contains no elements, so there is no $b$ such that $b \in \varnothing$, so there is no $x$, such that $x \in \cup \varnothing$.

Therefore, $\cup \varnothing=\varnothing$.
  • $$x \in \cup \{ a \} \leftrightarrow \exists b (b \in \{ a \} \wedge x \in b) \leftrightarrow (b=a \wedge x \in b) \leftrightarrow x \in a$$

Therefore, $\cup \{ a \}=a$.
Could you tell me if it is right or if I have done something wrong? (Thinking)

Physics news on Phys.org
Very well! One minor remark about the first problem. You have a set called $t$. In the scope of this proof, it may be considered a constant. I would not call a variable bound by $\exists$ by the same name $t$. The object immediately following $\exists$ is a variable, not a constant, so when you say $\exists t$ you introduce a new variable that happens to have the same name as the existing object $t$. Then, for example, saying "There exists some $t$ (in fact, it is equal to the set $t$ mentioned above)" would be awkward. So I would say
\[
x\in t\land t\in A\to\exists u\;(x\in u\land u\in A)\to x\in\bigcup A.
\]
Saying that the last implication holds by definition of $\bigcup A$ would not hurt, either. But overall, good job.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Very well! One minor remark about the first problem. You have a set called $t$. In the scope of this proof, it may be considered a constant. I would not call a variable bound by $\exists$ by the same name $t$. The object immediately following $\exists$ is a variable, not a constant, so when you say $\exists t$ you introduce a new variable that happens to have the same name as the existing object $t$. Then, for example, saying "There exists some $t$ (in fact, it is equal to the set $t$ mentioned above)" would be awkward. So I would say
\[
x\in t\land t\in A\to\exists u\;(x\in u\land u\in A)\to x\in\bigcup A.
\]
Saying that the last implication holds by definition of $\bigcup A$ would not hurt, either. But overall, good job.

I understand! Thank you very much! (Nod)

Related to Show Sentences Proof: "Hey Again! (Wasntme)

1. What is the meaning of "Hey Again! (Wasntme)"?

The phrase "Hey Again! (Wasntme)" is commonly used as a way to greet someone again, often in a playful or casual manner. The addition of "Wasntme" implies that the speaker is trying to deny or deflect responsibility for something.

2. Is "Hey Again! (Wasntme)" a commonly used phrase?

Yes, "Hey Again! (Wasntme)" is a commonly used phrase in informal conversations, especially among younger generations. It is often used as a playful way to reconnect with someone or to playfully deny responsibility for something.

3. What is the origin of "Hey Again! (Wasntme)"?

The exact origin of "Hey Again! (Wasntme)" is unclear, but it is believed to have originated in the early 2000s in popular culture, possibly from a song or movie. It has since become a popular phrase in informal communication and social media.

4. Is there a specific context in which "Hey Again! (Wasntme)" is used?

"Hey Again! (Wasntme)" is typically used in casual and informal contexts, such as among friends or on social media. It may also be used in a playful or sarcastic manner, depending on the tone and context of the conversation.

5. Can "Hey Again! (Wasntme)" have a negative connotation?

While "Hey Again! (Wasntme)" is often used in a lighthearted and playful manner, it can also have a negative connotation if used in a confrontational or accusatory manner. It is important to consider the tone and context of the conversation before using this phrase to avoid misunderstandings.