Show that 1/f_n -> 1/f uniformly

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
In summary: Yes, you can take $\epsilon'=\dfrac{M^2\epsilon}{2}$, but only if $M^2\epsilon/2\le M/2$ (you need to choose the minimum of the two numbers).
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :cool:

I am looking at the following exercise:
Let $f_n: I \to \mathbb{R}$ a sequence of functions,that do not get zero anywhere.We suppose that $f_n \to f$ uniformly and that there is a $M>0$ such that $f(x) \geq M, \forall x \in I$.Show that $\frac{1}{x_n} \to \frac{1}{f}$ uniformly.

That's what I have tried:
Let $\epsilon>0.$
Since $f_n \to f$ uniformly $\exists n_0$ such that $\forall n \geq n_0: sup_{x \in I} \{f_n-f\} \leq \epsilon $.

For these $n \text{ and } \forall x \in I$, we have:
$$|\frac{1}{f_n(x)}-\frac{1}{f(x)}|=|\frac{f(x)-f_n(x)}{f_n(x) \cdot f(x)}| \leq \frac{sup_{x \in I} \{f_n-f\}}{|f_n(x)| |f(x)|}$$

$$M \leq |f(x)|=|f(x)-f_n(x)+f_n(x)| \leq |f_n(x)-f(x)|+|f_n(x)| \leq \epsilon + |f_n(x)| \Rightarrow |f_n(x)| \geq M-\epsilon \Rightarrow \frac{1}{|f_n(x)|} \leq \frac{1}{M-\epsilon}$$

So, $$sup_{x \in I} \{|\frac{1}{f_n(x)}-\frac{1}{f(x)}|\} \leq \frac{\epsilon}{M \cdot (M- \epsilon)} \to 0 $$

So, $$\frac{1}{f_n} \to \frac{1}{f} \text{ uniformly }$$
Could you tell me if it is right? Do I have to take maybe a specific $\epsilon$? (Thinking)

Physics news on Phys.org
The idea is correct, but there are a couple of remarks.

evinda said:
$$|f_n(x)| \geq M-\epsilon \Rightarrow \frac{1}{|f_n(x)|} \leq \frac{1}{M-\epsilon}$$
This holds only if $M-\epsilon>0$.

evinda said:
$$sup_{x \in I} \{|\frac{1}{f_n(x)}-\frac{1}{f(x)}|\} \leq \frac{\epsilon}{M \cdot (M- \epsilon)} \to 0 $$
$\dfrac{\epsilon}{M \cdot (M- \epsilon)}$ tends to 0? But it does not even depend on $n$...

Evgeny.Makarov said:
The idea is correct, but there are a couple of remarks.

This holds only if $M-\epsilon>0$.

$\dfrac{\epsilon}{M \cdot (M- \epsilon)}$ tends to 0? But it does not even depend on $n$...

What could I do to improve my idea? :confused:

evinda said:
What could I do to improve my idea?
In the beginning of the proof, you are given an $\epsilon>0$. You need to find an $N$ such that \[
\|1/f_n-1/f\|=\sup_{x\in I}|1/f_n(x)-1/f(x)|<\epsilon\qquad(*)
\]
for all $n>N$. Now, one of the first steps of the proof is instantiating the definition of uniform continuity of $f_n$ with some potentially different number $\epsilon'$:
\[
f_n\to f\text{ uniformly}\implies
\forall\epsilon'\,\exists n_0\,\forall n>n_0\;\|f_n-f\|\le\epsilon'\qquad(**)
\]
You know that whatever $\epsilon'$ you use, in the end you get an upper bound of the form
\[
\|1/f_n-1/f\|\le\frac{\epsilon'}{M(M-\epsilon')}.
\]
In order to obtain (*), we must have
\[
\frac{\epsilon'}{M(M-\epsilon')}\le\epsilon
\]
It is possible to solve this inequality for $\epsilon'$, but we can simplify it and at the same time ensure that $M-\epsilon'>0$, which will solve the second problem later. Unlike $\epsilon$, which was given, we can select $\epsilon'$. Let us do it so that $\epsilon'\le M/2$, i.e., $M-\epsilon'\ge M/2>0$. Then $1/(M-\epsilon')\le 2/M$, so
\[
\frac{\epsilon'}{M(M-\epsilon')}\le\frac{2\epsilon'}{M^2}.
\]
To make the right-hand side $\le\epsilon$, we make the second restriction: $\epsilon'\le\dfrac{\epsilon M^2}{2}$. So, if
\[
\epsilon'=\min\left(\frac{M}{2},\frac{\epsilon M^2}{2}\right)
\]
and we find $n_0$ by instantiating (**) with $\epsilon'$, then according to your calculations in post #1, we have
\[
\|1/f_n-1/f\|\le\frac{\epsilon'}{M(M-\epsilon')}\le\frac{2\epsilon'}{M^2}\le\epsilon.
\]
Choosing $\epsilon'\le M/2$ also allows concluding
\[
|f_n(x)| \geq M-\epsilon' \implies \frac{1}{|f_n(x)|} \leq \frac{1}{M-\epsilon'}
\]
because $M-\epsilon'>0$.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
In the beginning of the proof, you are given an $\epsilon>0$. You need to find an $N$ such that \[
\]
for all $n>N$. Now, one of the first steps of the proof is instantiating the definition of uniform continuity of $f_n$ with some potentially different number $\epsilon'$:
\[
\]
You know that whatever $\epsilon'$ you use, in the end you get an upper bound of the form
\[
\]
\[
\]
It is possible to solve this inequality for $\epsilon'$, but we can simplify it and at the same time ensure that $M-\epsilon'>0$, which will solve the second problem later. Unlike $\epsilon$, which was given, we can select $\epsilon'$. Let us do it so that $\epsilon'\le M/2$, i.e., $M-\epsilon'\ge M/2>0$. Then $1/(M-\epsilon')\le 2/M$, so
\[
\]
To make the right-hand side $\le\epsilon$, we make the second restriction: $\epsilon'\le\dfrac{\epsilon M^2}{2}$. So, if
\[
\]
and we find $n_0$ by instantiating (**) with $\epsilon'$, then according to your calculations in post #1, we have
\[
\|1/f_n-1/f\|\le\frac{\epsilon'}{M(M-\epsilon')}\le\frac{2\epsilon'}{M^2}\le\epsilon.
\]
\[
|f_n(x)| \geq M-\epsilon' \implies \frac{1}{|f_n(x)|} \leq \frac{1}{M-\epsilon'}
\]
because $M-\epsilon'>0$.
I understand..Thank you very much! :)

Evgeny.Makarov said:
\]
\[
\]
\[
\]
\[
\]
\[
\]
\[
\]
\[
\]
\[
\]
because $M-\epsilon'>0$.

Hello! (Smile)

I am looking again at the exercise..

At the end, when we have :

$$\frac{\epsilon'}{(M- \epsilon')M} \leq \frac{\epsilon' 2}{M^2}$$

couldn't we take $\epsilon'=\frac{M^2 \epsilon}{2}$ ? (Thinking)

How is it different from what I did?

Evgeny.Makarov said:
How is it different from what I did?

I just wanted to know if we could take,instead of the inequality,the equality.. (Blush)

I did use equality:
\[
\]
If the second number is smaller, then $\epsilon'=\frac{\epsilon M^2}{2}$. But the reasoning I suggested also uses the fact that $\epsilon'\le\frac{M}{2}$, which is the reason for using $\min$.

In fact, what do you mean by taking inequality? The two inequalities
\[
\epsilon'\le\frac{M}{2},\quad
\epsilon'\le\frac{\epsilon M^2}{2}\qquad(+)
\]
are constraints on $\epsilon'$ that are used in the proof. The logic of the proof says that given $\epsilon$, we choose an $\epsilon'$ and then an $n_0$ based on $\epsilon'$ in a way that guarantees $\|1/f_n-1/f\|\le\epsilon$ for all $n>n_0$. We have to choose a specific $\epsilon'$; we can't choose all $\epsilon'$ satisfying (+). So, an obvious choice is to select the smaller of the two values. We could also choose the half of the smaller and so on.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
I did use equality:
\[
\]
If the second number is smaller, then $\epsilon'=\frac{\epsilon M^2}{2}$. But the reasoning I suggested also uses the fact that $\epsilon'\le\frac{M}{2}$, which is the reason for using $\min$.

In fact, what do you mean by taking inequality? The two inequalities
\[
\epsilon'\le\frac{M}{2},\quad
\epsilon'\le\frac{\epsilon M^2}{2}\qquad(+)
\]
are constraints on $\epsilon'$ that are used in the proof. The logic of the proof says that given $\epsilon$, we choose an $\epsilon'$ and then an $n_0$ based on $\epsilon'$ in a way that guarantees $\|1/f_n-1/f\|\le\epsilon$ for all $n>n_0$. We have to choose a specific $\epsilon'$; we can't choose all $\epsilon'$ satisfying (+). So, an obvious choice is to select the smaller of the two values. We could also choose the half of the smaller and so on.

A ok.. I understood it..thank you very much! :)

Related to Show that 1/f_n -> 1/f uniformly

1. What does it mean for a sequence of functions to converge uniformly?

Uniform convergence means that for every value of x in the domain, the difference between the value of the function and its limit approaches 0 as n approaches infinity. In other words, the convergence happens at the same rate for every x in the domain.

2. How is uniform convergence different from pointwise convergence?

Pointwise convergence only requires that for each individual x in the domain, the value of the function approaches the limit as n approaches infinity. However, this does not guarantee that the convergence happens at the same rate for all x in the domain, which is the case for uniform convergence.

3. How do you prove that a sequence of functions converges uniformly?

To prove uniform convergence, you must show that for any given value of x in the domain, the difference between the value of the function and its limit can be made arbitrarily small for all n greater than some fixed number N. This can be done using the definition of uniform convergence and the properties of limits.

4. What is the significance of the 1/f_n -> 1/f statement in the given problem?

The statement 1/f_n -> 1/f means that the sequence of functions f_n converges pointwise to the function f, which is the limit of the sequence. This is important because it allows us to use the limit properties to prove that the sequence converges uniformly.

5. Why is proving uniform convergence important in mathematics and science?

Uniform convergence is important because it ensures that the limit of a sequence of functions is still a function, rather than a more complex object. This allows for easier analysis and computation of the limit, and also has applications in various areas of mathematics and science, such as in the study of series and integrals.