Show that a point lies on the line of striction

• Thread starter Wolves Consortium
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Line Point
In summary, using the given information and reparametrization, we can show that any point on M that satisfies xu×xv=0 must lie on the line of striction.
Wolves Consortium

Homework Statement

Given M: x(u,v)=β(u)+vδ(u) is a ruled surface with length(β')=1 and length(δ)=1, also supposing δ'≠0. M may be parametrized by y(u,w)=ϒ(u)+wδ(u), where ϒ'⋅δ'=0 (this reparametrization is called the line of striction). Show that any point on M that satisfies xu×xv=0 must lie on the line of striction.

Homework Equations

• The problem asks for you to state that the reparametrization exists, which is fine if you allow ϒ(u)=β(u)+r(u)δ(u) for some function r(u) and allow w=v-r(u)
  • For the problem described, xu×xv= (β'(u) +vδ'(u))(δ(u)), and since ϒ'⋅δ'=0, I have: (β'(u) +vδ'(u))(δ(u))=ϒ'⋅δ'

The Attempt at a Solution

From here, I am stuck. I have tried algebraic manipulation to show that xu×xv is equivalent to y(u,w) if xu×xv=0, but I can not find any way to make this happen succinctly. Am I even going about this correctly? I know that such a point indicates that xu×xv is linearly dependent, but I don't understand what this signifies to the problem. Any help I could receive would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org

To show that any point on M that satisfies xu×xv=0 must lie on the line of striction, we can use the fact that length(β')=1 and length(δ)=1, and the given reparametrization y(u,w)=ϒ(u)+wδ(u).

First, we can rewrite xu×xv as (β'(u) +vδ'(u))(δ(u))=ϒ'⋅δ'. Since we know that length(β')=1 and length(δ)=1, we can substitute these values into the equation to get (β'(u) +vδ'(u))(δ(u))=1⋅1=1.

Next, we can rewrite ϒ'⋅δ' as (β'(u)+r(u)δ'(u))⋅δ'(u)=β'(u)⋅δ'(u)+r(u)δ'(u)⋅δ'(u). Since δ'≠0, we can divide both sides by δ' to get β'(u)+r(u)δ'(u)=β'(u)+r(u)=1.

Now, we can solve for r(u) to get r(u)=1-β'(u). Substituting this into our reparametrization, we get y(u,w)=β(u)+(v-1+β'(u))δ(u). This shows that any point on M that satisfies xu×xv=0 must lie on the line of striction, as the reparametrization is dependent on the value of v.

FAQ: Show that a point lies on the line of striction

1. How do you show that a point lies on the line of striction?

The most common method is to use the equation of the line of striction and plug in the coordinates of the point. If the equation is satisfied, then the point lies on the line of striction.

2. Can a point lie on the line of striction if it is not on the actual line?

Yes, a point can lie on the line of striction even if it is not directly on the line itself. This is because the line of striction represents the path that a particle would travel if it were to pass through the point.

3. What is the significance of the line of striction in scientific research?

The line of striction is an important concept in fluid mechanics and is used to study the motion of particles in a fluid. It helps to determine the path of a particle and its behavior in different flow conditions.

4. Can the line of striction be used to predict the behavior of all particles in a fluid?

No, the line of striction is a theoretical concept and its predictions may not always match real-world observations. Other factors such as turbulence and external forces can also affect the behavior of particles in a fluid.

5. Is the line of striction the same as the streamline of a fluid?

No, the line of striction and the streamline are two different concepts. The line of striction represents the path of a single particle, while a streamline represents the overall flow pattern of a fluid. However, in some cases, the line of striction may coincide with a streamline.

Back