Show that f(x) is irreducible over Q and Q(2^(1/5))

• Thread starter demonelite123
  • Start date
In summary, Eisenstein's Irreducibility Criterion allows us to determine that x^3 + 6x^2 - 12x + 2 is irreducible in \mathbb{Q} as well as in \mathbb{Q}(\sqrt[5]{2}). However, the second part of the problem is still a bit confusing to me.
demonelite123
Show that [itex] x^3 + 6x^2 - 12x + 2 [/itex] is irreducible in [itex] \mathbb{Q} [/itex] as well as in [itex] \mathbb{Q}(\sqrt[5]{2})[/itex].

the first part i have no trouble with since it follows straight from Eisenstein's Irreducibility Criterion. For the second part i am pretty confused though. i tried looking at the solution to help me understand it but i wasn't sure what the solution did.

They say that [itex] [\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt[5]{2}): \mathbb{Q}] = 5 [/itex] and i understand that since [itex] \sqrt[5]{2} [/itex] is the root of irreducible [itex] x^5 - 2 [/itex] so the degree of the field extension is 5. They then said that if [itex] x^3 + 6x^2 - 12x + 2 [/itex] was reducible, then it would have a linear factor and then there would be a root in [itex] \mathbb{Q}(\sqrt[5]{2}) [/itex]. Then since this root has degree 3 and since 3 does not divide 5, then [itex] x^3 + 6x^2 - 12x + 2 [/itex] is irreducible in [itex] \mathbb{Q}(\sqrt[5]{2})[/itex].

i do not understand the part about the 3 not dividing the 5. I assume they are using the theorem that says [F:K] = [F:E][E:K] if K is a subfield of E and E is a subfield of F. i suspect that this theorem is being used but i don't know how they are using it exactly. can someone help explain? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Indeed, since we can find an [itex]\alpha\in \mathbb{Q}(\sqrt[5]{2})[/itex] that is a root of [itex]x^3+6x^2-12x+2[/itex], this means that this polynomial is a minimal polynomial of [itex]\alpha[/itex]. Thus [itex][\mathbb{Q}(\alpha),\mathbb{Q}]=3[/itex].

Now we have that

[tex][\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt[5]{2}),\mathbb{Q}]=[\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt[5]{2}),\mathbb{Q}(\alpha)][\mathbb{Q}(\alpha),\mathbb{Q}][/tex]

This means that

[tex]5=[\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt[5]{2}),\mathbb{Q}(\alpha)]*3[/tex]

Or 3 divides 5. Which is impossible.

yes that makes sense. i was initially confused on which field to pick but i understand now why Q(a) was chosen. thank you for your reply.

Related to Show that f(x) is irreducible over Q and Q(2^(1/5))

1. What does it mean for a function to be irreducible?

A function is considered irreducible over a field if it cannot be factored into two non-constant polynomials over that field. In other words, the function cannot be written as the product of two or more simpler functions.

2. How can you show that a function is irreducible over Q (the rational numbers)?

To show that a function is irreducible over Q, you can use the rational root theorem to test if there are any rational roots. If there are no rational roots, then the function is irreducible over Q.

3. How do you prove that a function is irreducible over Q(2^(1/5))?

To prove that a function is irreducible over Q(2^(1/5)), you can use the Eisenstein's criterion. This states that if a polynomial has integer coefficients and a prime number divides all coefficients except the leading coefficient, and the prime number squared does not divide the constant term, then the polynomial is irreducible over Q(2^(1/5)).

4. Can a function be irreducible over one field but not another?

Yes, a function can be irreducible over one field but not another. For example, a function can be irreducible over Q but reducible over Q(2^(1/5)). This is because the prime number used in Eisenstein's criterion may not divide all coefficients when considering a different field.

5. What is the significance of proving that a function is irreducible over a field?

Proving that a function is irreducible over a field is important because it helps to understand the structure and behavior of the function. It also allows us to make conclusions about the function's roots and its relationship to other fields. Additionally, irreducible functions play a crucial role in many mathematical applications, such as cryptography and coding theory.