Show that gof is uniformly continuous

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Continuous
In summary, given a uniformly continuous function $f$, and a uniformly continuous function $g$ both at a given point $A$, there exists a function $h$ such that $|h(x)-h(y)| < \delta$ for all $x,y \in A$, and $|g(f(x)) - g(f(y))| < \varepsilon$.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hi! :)
I am given the following exercise:
$f:A \to B,g:B \to R$
If $f$ is uniformly continuous at $A$ and $g$ is uniformly continuous at $B$,show that gof is uniformly continuous.
That's what I have tried so far:
Let $\epsilon'>0$.Since $f$ is uniformly continuous at $A$ there is a $\delta=\delta(\epsilon')>0$ such that $\forall x,y \in A$ with $|x-y|<\delta \Rightarrow |f(x)-f(y)|< \epsilon'$.

Let $\epsilon>0$.Since $g$ is uniformly continuous at $B$,there is a $w=w(\epsilon)>0$ such that $\forall u,v \in B$ with $|u-v|<w \Rightarrow |g(u)-g(v)|< \epsilon$.

Am I right so far?How can I continue?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
Hi! :)
I am given the following exercise:
$f:A \to B,g:B \to R$
If $f$ is uniformly continuous at $A$ and $g$ is uniformly continuous at $B$,show that gof is uniformly continuous.
That's what I have tried so far:
Let $\epsilon'>0$.Since $f$ is uniformly continuous at $A$ there is a $\delta=\delta(\epsilon')>0$ such that $\forall x,y \in A$ with $|x-y|<\delta \Rightarrow |f(x)-f(y)|< \epsilon'$.

Let $\epsilon>0$.Since $g$ is uniformly continuous at $B$,there is a $w=w(\epsilon)>0$ such that $\forall u,v \in B$ with $|u-v|<\epsilon \Rightarrow |g(u)-g(v)|< \epsilon$.

Am I right so far?How can I continue?

First you mean to say $f$ is uniformly continuous on $A$, $g$ is uniformly continuous on $B$.

Let $h=g\circ f: A\to \mathbb{R}$. We want to show this is uniformly continuous. What does the definition say? For any $\varepsilon > 0$ we can find $\delta > 0$ so that if $|x-y|<\delta \text{ and }x,y \in A$ then $|h(x)-h(y)| < \varepsilon $.

Now $|h(x)-h(y)| = |f(g(x)) - f(g(y))|$. Now the idea is that since $f$ is uniformly continuous if $g(x),g(y)$ are sufficiently close to each other then $|f(g(x)) - f(g(y))|$ can be made arbitrary small. So the question is how do you mean $g(x),g(y)$ close to each other? This is where you start to use uniform continuity of $g$.

ThePerfectHacker said:
First you mean to say $f$ is uniformly continuous on $A$, $g$ is uniformly continuous on $B$.

Let $h=g\circ f: A\to \mathbb{R}$. We want to show this is uniformly continuous. What does the definition say? For any $\varepsilon > 0$ we can find $\delta > 0$ so that if $|x-y|<\delta \text{ and }x,y \in A$ then $|h(x)-h(y)| < \varepsilon $.

Now $|h(x)-h(y)| = |f(g(x)) - f(g(y))|$. Now the idea is that since $f$ is uniformly continuous if $g(x),g(y)$ are sufficiently close to each other then $|f(g(x)) - f(g(y))|$ can be made arbitrary small. So the question is how do you mean $g(x),g(y)$ close to each other? This is where you start to use uniform continuity of $g$.

So,can I say it like that?

Let $\epsilon>0$.Since $g$ is uniformly continuous at $B$,there is a $w=w(\epsilon)>0$ such that $\forall u,v \in B$ with $|u-v|<w \Rightarrow |g(u)-g(v)|< \epsilon$.

We want to show that $|h(x)-h(y)|=|g(f(x))-g(f(y))|< \epsilon$,and this is true,if $u=f(x),v=f(y),w=\epsilon'$?? Or do I have to say something else to show that gof is uniformly continuous? :confused:

evinda said:
So,can I say it like that?

We want to show that $|h(x)-h(y)|=|g(f(x))-g(f(y))|< \epsilon$,and this is true,if $u=f(x),v=f(y),w=\epsilon'$?? Or do I have to say something else to show that gof is uniformly continuous? :confused:

You basically got it. Here is a more polished version of what you are trying to say.

Given $\varepsilon > 0$ choose $\delta > 0$ so that $|g(a) - g(b)| < \varepsilon $ provided that $|a-b| < \delta$. Now choose $\eta > 0$ so that $|f(x) - f(y)| < \delta$ provided that $|x-y| < \eta$. If $|x-y|<\eta$ then $|f(x)-f(y)| < \delta$ and then $|g(f(x)) - g(f(y)) | < \varepsilon$.

ThePerfectHacker said:
You basically got it. Here is a more polished version of what you are trying to say.

Given $\varepsilon > 0$ choose $\delta > 0$ so that $|g(a) - g(b)| < \varepsilon $ provided that $|a-b| < \delta$. Now choose $\eta > 0$ so that $|f(x) - f(y)| < \delta$ provided that $|x-y| < \eta$. If $|x-y|<\eta$ then $|f(x)-f(y)| < \delta$ and then $|g(f(x)) - g(f(y)) | < \varepsilon$.

I understand... :) Thank you very much!

FAQ: Show that gof is uniformly continuous

1. What does it mean for a function to be uniformly continuous?

Uniform continuity is a property of a function where for any given small change in the input, there is a corresponding small change in the output. In other words, the function does not have any sudden or abrupt changes in its behavior within a given interval.

2. How is uniform continuity different from regular continuity?

Uniform continuity is a stronger form of continuity compared to regular continuity. While regular continuity only requires the function to be continuous at each point, uniform continuity requires the function to be continuous across the entire domain. This means that there are no sudden or abrupt changes in the function's behavior, even at the boundaries of the domain.

3. How do you prove that gof is uniformly continuous?

To prove that gof (the composition of two functions) is uniformly continuous, we need to show that for any given epsilon (ε) value, there exists a corresponding delta (δ) value such that for all x and y in the domain of gof, if |x-y| < δ, then |(gof)(x)-(gof)(y)| < ε. In other words, we need to show that small changes in the input of gof result in small changes in the output of gof.

4. Are there any other conditions that must be satisfied for gof to be uniformly continuous?

In addition to the definition of uniform continuity, there are other conditions that must be satisfied for gof to be uniformly continuous. These include: both g and f must be continuous functions, the domain of f must be a subset of the domain of g, and the range of f must be a subset of the domain of g.

5. Why is it important to prove that gof is uniformly continuous?

Proving that gof is uniformly continuous is important as it guarantees that the composition of two functions is also continuous. This is useful in many areas of mathematics and science, including analysis, differential equations, and physics. It also allows us to make certain predictions and draw conclusions about the behavior of the composite function.