Show that -i is in the Mandelbrot Set

In summary: So, the summary is, In summary, the mandelbrot set is a set of complex numbers that stay within the boundary of a circle and repeat their sequence.
vorcil
1a:
show w = -i is in the mandelbrot set
show that -1-i is not in the mandelbrot set
is w= -0.1226 + 07449i in the mandelbrot set, first show that z2 =0

don't know how to do any of them

i tried, -(squareroot-1) ^2 = --1, + squareroot -1
idk

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly does it mean for a complex number to be in the Mandelbrot set? You need to have this definition in order to tell whether a give complex number is or isn't in this set.

I don't understand some of the things you have written:
"z2 = 0" Do you mean z2 = 0? If you don't know how to use the LaTeX controls, you can write this like so: z^2 = 0.

"-(squareroot-1) ^2 = --1, + squareroot -1"
I don't understand this at all, but you can write sqrt(-1) to mean the square root of -1 (which is i).

For a number to be in the mandelbrot set, it means that it stays within the boundary of that circle thing, and it repeats in a sequence, where a number not in the mandelbrot set dosen't stay in the boundary and dosen't repeat it's sequence

from that formula, Z1 = Z0^2 + Z0 (each time 0 is incremented by 1

This is very poorly written. If you want to be a good itexematician you must learn to be precise and clear!

vorcil said:
For a number to be in the mandelbrot set, it means that it stays within the boundary of that circle thing, and it repeats in a sequence, where a number not in the mandelbrot set dosen't stay in the boundary and dosen't repeat it's sequence
You used the word "it" four times without saying what "it" refers to! (And with two different meanings!) You don't say what "that circle thing" is. You don't say what sequence you are talking about and you don't say what "stay in the boundary" means. What you should be saying is that a certain sequence remains bounded. And I can find no requirement that it "doesn't repeat its sequence". If a sequence eventually repeats, it certainly remains bounded.

from that formula
from what formula?
, Z1 = Z0^2 + Z0 (each time 0 is incremented by 1
Okay, this is the"formula" you referred to above and that gives the sequence you are referring to. But as given that implies that Z2= Z12+ Z1 which is incorrect. You want Zn+1= Zn2+ c for a fixed number c and Z0= c. When you ask "is -i in the Mandelbrot set" you are taking c= -i. Then [itex]Z_0= -i[/itex], [itex]Z_1= (-i)^2+ (-i)= -1- i[/itex], [itex]Z_2= (-1+1)^2+ (-i)= i[/itex], [itex]Z_3= (i)^2+ (-i)= -1-i[/itex] again!

It looks to me like that becomes repeating.

Sorry, thanks =]
I know how to use the mandelbrot set now(I think),

The mandelbrot set was not in my math book, and i didn't take notes during my lecture because i thought it was in the my mathematics book

Related to Show that -i is in the Mandelbrot Set

1. What is the Mandelbrot Set?

The Mandelbrot Set is a famous mathematical set discovered by Benoit Mandelbrot in 1978. It is a set of complex numbers that, when iteratively plugged into the equation Zn+1 = Zn2 + C, remain bounded. The set is known for its intricate and infinitely complex fractal patterns.

2. How is -i related to the Mandelbrot Set?

-i, or the imaginary number √(-1), is one of the complex numbers used in the equation to determine if a number is in the Mandelbrot Set. When -i is plugged into the equation, it remains bounded and therefore is in the Mandelbrot Set.

3. How is the Mandelbrot Set determined?

The Mandelbrot Set is determined by testing a large number of points on the complex plane. If a point remains bounded after a certain number of iterations, it is considered to be part of the set. The more iterations used, the more precise the determination becomes.

4. Why is -i important in understanding the Mandelbrot Set?

-i is important in understanding the Mandelbrot Set because it is one of the few complex numbers that remains bounded when plugged into the equation. This helps to demonstrate the complexity and beauty of the set, as well as its infinite nature.

5. How is the Mandelbrot Set used in science?

The Mandelbrot Set has applications in various branches of science, such as physics, biology, and computer science. It has been used to study chaotic systems, analyze patterns in nature, and improve compression algorithms. It also serves as a visual representation of the concept of infinity and has inspired new mathematical discoveries.