Show that it's a solution and solve the primarities...

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses solving congruence equations using Fermat's theorem and Euler's theorem. The main idea is that if $(a,n)=1$, then $a^{\phi(n)-1}b$ is a solution of $ax \equiv b \pmod n$. However, there were some calculation mistakes made, leading to incorrect solutions. After realizing the mistakes, the correct solutions were found.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

I am looking at the following exercise:

• Let $p$ a prime and $p \nmid a$,prove that $a^{p-2}b$ is a solution of $\displaystyle{ax \equiv b \pmod p}$
    Solve: $2x \equiv 1 \pmod{31} \\ 3x \equiv 17 \pmod{29}$
  • If $(a,n)=1$,prove that $a^{\phi(n)-1}b$ is a solution of $\displaystyle{ax \equiv b \pmod n}$
    Solve: $3x \equiv 5 \pmod{26} \\ 10x \equiv 21 \pmod{49}$

That'a what I have tried:

• $$(a,p)=1$$
    So,from Fermat's theorem:

$$a^{p-1} \equiv 1 \pmod p \Rightarrow a \cdot a^{p-2}b \equiv b \pmod p$$

$$\text{So, } a^{p-2}b \text{ is a solution of } ax \equiv b \pmod p$$

$$2x \equiv 1 \pmod {31}$$
    $$\text{As } (2,31)=1,\text{ there is exactly one solution,and according to the exercise,it is this one: } 2^{31-2}=2^{29}$$
    $$x \equiv 2^{29}\pmod {31} \Rightarrow x \equiv 16 \pmod{31}$$$$3x \equiv 17 \pmod{29}, (3,17)=1, \text{ so there is exactly one solution,and according to the exercise,it is this one: } 3^{29-2} \cdot 17$$
    $$x \equiv 3^{29-2} \cdot 17 \pmod{19} \Rightarrow x \equiv 12 \pmod{29}$$
  • $$(a,n)=1, \text{ so from Euler's theorem: } a^{\phi(n)} \equiv 1 \pmod n$$
    $$a \cdot a^{\phi(n)-1} \equiv 1 \pmod n \Rightarrow a \cdot b a^{\phi(n)-1} \equiv b \mod n$$

$$So, b a^{\phi(n)-1} \text{ is a solution of } ax \equiv b \pmod n$$

$$3x \equiv 5 \pmod{26} , (3,16=1), \text{ so the only solution is : } 3^{\phi(26)-1}5=3^{11} \cdot 5 \equiv 19 \pmod{26} $$

$$10x \equiv 21 \pmod{49}, (10,49)=1, \text{ so the only solution is : } 10^{\phi(49)-1}21=10^{41} \cdot 21\equiv 10 \pmod{49}$$

Could you tell me if it is right or if I have done something wrong? (Thinking)

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi! (Smile)

Your reasoning is flawless! (Sun)

But... it appears you have made 2 calculation mistakes. (Worried)

I like Serena said:
Hi! (Smile)

Your reasoning is flawless! (Sun)
(Clapping)(Clapping)

I like Serena said:
But... it appears you have made 2 calculation mistakes. (Worried)

Oh yes , you are right!
At $3x \equiv 17 \pmod{29}$ the solution must be: $x \equiv 2 \pmod{29}$ and at $10x \equiv 21 \pmod{49}$,the solution must be $x \equiv 7 \mod{49}$.

Or am I wrong? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Oh yes , you are right!
At $3x \equiv 17 \pmod{29}$ the solution must be: $x \equiv 2 \pmod{29}$ and at $10x \equiv 21 \pmod{49}$,the solution must be $x \equiv 7 \mod{49}$.

Or am I wrong? (Thinking)

You found them! (Nod)

Well... I think still one of them is wrong. (Worried)

Your approach and solutions seem to be correct. You have used the correct theorems and properties to show that the given expressions are solutions to the given congruences. You have also correctly solved the given congruences using the solutions provided in the exercise. Great job!

Related to Show that it's a solution and solve the primarities...

1. What does it mean to "show that it's a solution"?

Showing that something is a solution means proving that it satisfies a certain equation or set of conditions. In other words, it is the process of demonstrating that a proposed answer or method is correct.

2. How do you show that something is a solution?

The method for showing that something is a solution depends on the specific problem or equation. However, generally speaking, you can show that something is a solution by plugging it into the equation or conditions and verifying that it satisfies them.

3. What are the primary steps for solving a problem?

The primary steps for solving a problem vary depending on the type of problem and the approach used. However, some common steps include understanding the problem, identifying known and unknown variables, choosing a method or strategy for solving, and checking the solution for accuracy.

4. What is the importance of solving problems in science?

Solving problems in science is crucial for advancing our understanding of the world and developing new technologies and techniques. It allows us to test and refine theories, discover new phenomena, and find practical applications for scientific knowledge.

5. Can you provide an example of solving a primary problem?

Yes, for example, let's say you are given the equation 2x + 4 = 10 and asked to solve for x. The primary steps for solving this problem would be to subtract 4 from both sides, then divide both sides by 2. This would result in x = 3, proving that 3 is the solution to this equation.