Show that ##\lim_{n->\infty} \frac{n^2}{2^n} = 0 ##

In summary, the problem is to show that the limit of n^2/2^n is 0 using the squeeze theorem. However, it can also be solved by showing that n^(2/n) is less than 2 using induction.
kwangiyu

Homework Statement

show that
[tex]\lim_{n->\infty} \frac{n^2}{2^n} = 0 [/tex]

Homework Equations

squeeze theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to use squeez theorem. I don't know how to do it because don't know how to reduce [itex]2^n[/itex]

However, I can solve this question like this.

Given [itex]\epsilon>0[/itex], find [itex]M \in N[/itex] such that [itex] M > max (4, \frac{1}{\epsilon}) [/itex] [itex]\mid \frac{n^2}{2^n} \mid = \frac{n^2}{2^n} < \frac{n}{n^2} = \frac{1}{n} < \frac{1}{M} <\epsilon[/itex]

[itex]2^n > n^2[/itex] and [itex]if x>4 [/itex]My question is how can I solve this problem with squeez theorem ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What about ##2^n > n^3## ?
And I think you also need it in your prove. How became ##n^2 < n## in the above?

fresh_42 said:
What about ##2^n > n^3## ?
And I think you also need it in your prove. How became ##n^2 < n## in the above?
oh.. I made mistake. but 2^n < n^3 isn't it ?

Yes, although you then need a higher lower bound for ##M##. ##4## won't do anymore, but this isn't a problem.
And with that, your proof works and you can also use the same estimations for the squeeze theorem.

kwangiyu said:

Homework Statement

show that
[tex]\lim_{n->\infty} \frac{n^2}{2^n} = 0 [/tex]

<snip>
My question is how can I solve this problem with squeez theorem ?
Is there some reason you need to use the squeeze theorem?

The expression you're taking the limit of can be written as ##\left(\frac{n^{2/n}} 2\right)^n##
The problem then boils down to showing that ##\frac{n^{2/n}} 2 < 1##, which can be done using induction.

Likes sysprog
Looks like the OP did not state/show whether he could proceed to solution...no follow up on his part.

Related to Show that ##\lim_{n->\infty} \frac{n^2}{2^n} = 0 ##

1. What does the notation "lim" stand for in this equation?

The notation "lim" stands for the limit of a sequence, which represents the value that the sequence approaches as the number of terms in the sequence approaches infinity.

2. How do you show that the limit of the sequence is equal to 0?

To show that the limit of the sequence is equal to 0, we can use the formal definition of a limit and show that for any small positive number ε, there exists a positive integer N such that for all n greater than or equal to N, the absolute value of the difference between n^2/2^n and 0 is less than ε.

3. What does the notation "n->∞" mean in the equation?

The notation "n->∞" means that the value of n is approaching infinity, or getting larger and larger without bound.

4. Why is it important to prove that this limit equals 0?

This limit is important in many mathematical and scientific fields, as it represents the rate of growth or decay of a sequence. Knowing that this limit equals 0 can provide insight into the behavior of the sequence and help make predictions about its future values.

5. Is there a specific method for showing that this limit equals 0?

Yes, there are several methods for showing that this limit equals 0, such as using the Squeeze Theorem, the Ratio Test, or the Monotone Convergence Theorem. These methods involve manipulating the equation and using mathematical principles to show that the limit approaches 0.