Show that matrix A is not invertible by finding non trivial solutions

• Thread starter black_hole
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, the homework statement is trying to find a matrix B that is invertible and has a trivial solution for Bx=0. If B is not invertible, then there are infinitely many solutions for Bx=0.
black_hole

Homework Statement

The 3x3 matrix A is given as the sum of two other 3x3 matrices B and C satisfying:1) all rows of B are the same vector u and 2) all columns of C are the same vector v.

Show that A is not invertible. One possible approach is to explain why there is a nonzero vector x satisfying both Bx = 0 and Cx = 0.

^^I'm having a hard time seeing why Bx=0 and Cx=0 should have nonzero solutions. I envision a matrix {{u1,u2,u3},{u1,u2,u3},{u1,u2,u3}} * some column vector = 0 but I'm just not seeing how to go about this when u1,u2,u3 could be anything.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

Bx=0 and Cx=0 are homogeneous system of equations. So there are only two posibilities for their solutions. 1. Either the solutions are trivial and unique or 2. Infinitely many solutions.

Ask yourself if B is invertible? If it is, then multiply both sides of Bx=0 by its inverse to obtain only the trivial solution exists. If A is not invertible, then it must case 2.

Let me know if it helps.

hmm, you've given me something to think about. So I can see how B is not invertible because well Gaussian elimination on it fails, but what about C? I don't think you can immediately see it by trying to do the more familiar elimination steps, so is it enough to say that in a way it a dependent matrix?

Try writing out Cx=0 explicitly.

I am not sure what you mean by elemination failing. However, elimination give many rows of zero and hence infinitely many solutions for Bx=0. Consider doing elimination on C for a 2x2 matrix with the same columns and see what are your solutions.

If you have learn the determinant, then the determinant also gives you the answer imeddiately.

First of all, what do you know about a matrix that has linearly dependent row or column vectors?

vela said:
Try writing out Cx=0 explicitly.

oh I see, if you try to eliminate one you end up eliminating all the others in the row as well

lmedin02 said:
I am not sure what you mean by elemination failing. However, elimination give many rows of zero and hence infinitely many solutions for Bx=0. Consider doing elimination on C for a 2x2 matrix with the same columns and see what are your solutions.

If you have learn the determinant, then the determinant also gives you the answer imeddiately.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. That is what I meant.

Ok. I think I got it. Thank you all for your quick replies!

FAQ: Show that matrix A is not invertible by finding non trivial solutions

1. How do I determine if a matrix is invertible?

To determine if a matrix is invertible, you can check if its determinant is equal to 0. If the determinant is 0, the matrix is not invertible.

2. What is a non-trivial solution?

A non-trivial solution is a solution to a system of equations that is not simply 0 for all variables. In the context of finding non-trivial solutions to show a matrix is not invertible, it means finding a solution that is not simply 0 for all values of the variables in the matrix.

3. Can a matrix be non-invertible?

Yes, a matrix can be non-invertible. This means that there is no inverse matrix that can be multiplied with the original matrix to get the identity matrix. In other words, the matrix is not reversible.

4. What is the purpose of showing a matrix is not invertible?

The purpose of showing a matrix is not invertible is to prove that it cannot be reversed or undone. This can be useful in various applications, such as in solving systems of equations or in cryptography.

5. How can I find non-trivial solutions to show a matrix is not invertible?

To find non-trivial solutions, you can use various methods such as Gaussian elimination or computing the determinant. These methods will help you find values for the variables in the matrix that result in a non-zero solution, thus showing that the matrix is not invertible.