Show that the function equals to the zero function

In summary, we discussed how to prove that $u(x)\equiv 0$ in $\Omega$ given that $u(x)\geq 0$ is harmonic in $\Omega$ and is equal to $0$ on the boundary of a proper subset $\Omega'$. We first considered the case where $u\in C^0(\overline{\Omega'})$ and deduced that $u(x)=0$ in $\Omega'$. Then, we explored the condition for $\Delta u$ to be continuous, which requires $u\in C^2(\Omega)$. We then discussed the possibility of $\Delta u$ being positive at a point $p\in\Omega$, which was shown to imply the existence of
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

Let $u(x) \geq 0$ be harmonic in $\Omega$ and $u|_{\partial{\Omega'}}=0$ where the space $\Omega'$ is a proper subset of $\Omega$. I want to prove that $u(x) \equiv 0$ in $\Omega$.

If we suppose that $u \in C^0(\overline{\Omega'})$ we can deduce that $u(x)=0$ in $\Omega'$.

In order $\Delta u$ to be continuous we have to assume that $u \in C^2(\Omega)$, right?

So, suppose that $u \in C^2(\Omega)$.

Since $\Delta u$ is continuous, if there is a $p \in \Omega$ such that $\Delta u(p)>0$ then there is a ball $B(p,R)$ such that $\Delta u>0$ in $B(\rho,R)$.

So we have to show somehow that $B(\rho,R) \subset \Omega'$, right? (Thinking)

Physics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
Hello! (Wave)

Let $u(x) \geq 0$ be harmonic in $\Omega$ and $u|_{\partial{\Omega'}}=0$ where the space $\Omega'$ is a proper subset of $\Omega$. I want to prove that $u(x) \equiv 0$ in $\Omega$.

If we suppose that $u \in C^0(\overline{\Omega'})$ we can deduce that $u(x)=0$ in $\Omega'$.

In order $\Delta u$ to be continuous we have to assume that $u \in C^2(\Omega)$, right?

So, suppose that $u \in C^2(\Omega)$.

Since $\Delta u$ is continuous, if there is a $p \in \Omega$ such that $\Delta u(p)>0$ then there is a ball $B(p,R)$ such that $\Delta u>0$ in $B(\rho,R)$.

So we have to show somehow that $B(\rho,R) \subset \Omega'$, right? (Thinking)

Hey evinda! (Smile)

Isn't it given that $\Delta u=0$? (Wondering)

Instead I think we should look at a $p \in \Omega$ such that $u(p)>0$.
And we will want to prove that $\Delta u \ne 0$ somewhere then. (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
Hey evinda! (Smile)

Isn't it given that $\Delta u=0$? (Wondering)

Instead I think we should look at a $p \in \Omega$ such that $u(p)>0$.
And we will want to prove that $\Delta u \ne 0$ somewhere then. (Thinking)

Oh yes, you are right! (Smirk)

So suppose that there is a $p \in \Omega$ such that $u(p)>0$.
Since $u$ is continuous, there is a ball $B(p,R)$ such that $u(x)>0$ in $B(p,R)$.
Is it right so far? How can we continue? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Oh yes, you are right! (Smirk)

So suppose that there is a $p \in \Omega$ such that $u(p)>0$.
Since $u$ is continuous, there is a ball $B(p,R)$ such that $u(x)>0$ in $B(p,R)$.
Is it right so far? How can we continue? (Thinking)

It's right, but I wouldn't know how to continue from there.

I was thinking more of applying the mean value theorem for functions of several variables. (Thinking)

So do we pick $x, y \in \Omega$ and a $c \in (0,1)$? Then since $u$ is differentiable do we have the following?

$$u(y)-u(x)=\nabla{u}((1-c)x+c y) \cdot (y-x)$$

Or isn't this the mean value theorem for functions of several variables?

evinda said:
So do we pick $x, y \in \Omega$ and a $c \in (0,1)$? Then since $u$ is differentiable do we have the following?

$$u(y)-u(x)=\nabla{u}((1-c)x+c y) \cdot (y-x)$$

Or isn't this the mean value theorem for functions of several variables?

Yes. That's the one I meant.

If we pick $\mathbf y=\mathbf p$ and $\mathbf x\in \partial \Omega'$ it follows that $(\mathbf y-\mathbf x)\ne \mathbf 0$ and $u(\mathbf y)-u(\mathbf x) > 0$, and therefore $\nabla{u}((1-c)\mathbf x+c \mathbf y) \ne \mathbf 0$. (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
Yes. That's the one I meant.

If we pick $\mathbf y=\mathbf p$ and $\mathbf x\in \partial \Omega'$ it follows that $(\mathbf y-\mathbf x)\ne \mathbf 0$ and $u(\mathbf y)-u(\mathbf x) > 0$, and therefore $\nabla{u}((1-c)\mathbf x+c \mathbf y) \ne \mathbf 0$. (Thinking)

We have that $(\mathbf y-\mathbf x)\ne \mathbf 0$ since $p \in \Omega \setminus{\overline{\Omega'}}$, right?

What do we get from the fact that $\nabla{u}((1-c)\mathbf x+c \mathbf y) \ne \mathbf 0$? (Thinking)

evinda said:
We have that $(\mathbf y-\mathbf x)\ne \mathbf 0$ since $p \in \Omega \setminus{\overline{\Omega'}}$, right?

We have $u(\mathbf y)>0$ and $u(\mathbf x) =0$.
Therefore $\mathbf y \ne \mathbf x$.

I thought we only knew that $\mathbf p \in \Omega \setminus{\partial\Omega'}$? (Wondering)
What do we get from the fact that $\nabla{u}((1-c)\mathbf x+c \mathbf y) \ne \mathbf 0$? (Thinking)

We found a point where $\nabla$ is non-zero.
Can we take it one step further, and show that we can find a point where $\Delta=\nabla\cdot \nabla$ is non-zero?
That is, applying the mean value theorem again? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
We have $u(\mathbf y)>0$ and $u(\mathbf x) =0$.
Therefore $\mathbf y \ne \mathbf x$.

I thought we only knew that $\mathbf p \in \Omega \setminus{\partial\Omega'}$? (Wondering)

Oh yes, right. (Nod)

I like Serena said:
We found a point where $\nabla$ is non-zero.
Can we take it one step further, and show that we can find a point where $\Delta=\nabla\cdot \nabla$ is non-zero?
That is, applying the mean value theorem again? (Wondering)

Previously we had to suppose that $u$ is differentiable and now that $\nabla{u}$ is. So in general we have to suppose that $u \in C^2(\Omega)$, right?

So we pick the same $\boldsymbol x, \boldsymbol y, c$ as before and since $\nabla{u}$ is differentiable we have:

$$\nabla u(\boldsymbol x)- \nabla u(\boldsymbol y)=\nabla \cdot \nabla u((1-t) \boldsymbol x+ t \boldsymbol y) \cdot (\boldsymbol y- \boldsymbol x)= \Delta u((1-t) \boldsymbol x+t \boldsymbol y) \cdot (\boldsymbol x-\boldsymbol y)$$Is it right so far?

We have that $\boldsymbol x-\boldsymbol y \neq \boldsymbol 0$ .
But we can not deduce from $u(\boldsymbol x) \neq u(\boldsymbol y)$ that $\nabla u(\boldsymbol x)-\nabla u(\boldsymbol y) \neq \boldsymbol 0 $, can we? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Previously we had to suppose that $u$ is differentiable and now that $\nabla{u}$ is. So in general we have to suppose that $u \in C^2(\Omega)$, right?

It's given that $u$ is harmonic in $\Omega$.
Doesn't that imply that $u \in C^2(\Omega)$? (Wondering)
So we pick the same $\boldsymbol x, \boldsymbol y, c$ as before and since $\nabla{u}$ is differentiable we have:

$$\nabla u(\boldsymbol x)- \nabla u(\boldsymbol y)=\nabla \cdot \nabla u((1-t) \boldsymbol x+ t \boldsymbol y) \cdot (\boldsymbol y- \boldsymbol x)= \Delta u((1-t) \boldsymbol x+t \boldsymbol y) \cdot (\boldsymbol x-\boldsymbol y)$$Is it right so far?

We have that $\boldsymbol x-\boldsymbol y \leq \boldsymbol 0$ .
But we can not deduce from $u(\boldsymbol x) \leq u(\boldsymbol y)$ that $\nabla u(\boldsymbol x)-\nabla u(\boldsymbol y) \neq \boldsymbol 0 $, can we? (Thinking)

Let's reduce the problem to a one-dimensional problem first.
Suppose we have a function $f:\mathbb R \to \mathbb R$ with $f(x) \ge 0$ and $f\in C^2(\mathbb R)$.
And suppose we know that $f(0)=f(1)=0$.

Now suppose there is a $p \in (0,1)$ such that $f(p)>0$.
Then it follows from the mean value theorem that there are points $c \in (0,p)$ and $d \in (p,1)$, such that:
$$f'(c) = \frac{f(p) - 0}{p-0} > 0 \\ f'(d)= \frac{0-f(p)}{1-p} < 0$$
Right? (Wondering)

Now let's define $g: \mathbb R \to \mathbb R$ with $g(x) = f'(x)$.
So we have $g(c) > 0$ and $g(d) < 0$.
Then it follows from the mean value theorem that there is an $e \in (c,d)$, such that:
$$g'(e) = \frac{g(d)-g(c)}{d-c} < 0$$
Right? (Wondering)

In other words, there is a point $e \in (0,1)$, such that $f''(e) < 0$.
More generally, if a smooth function first goes up and then goes down, there must be a point where the second derivative is negative. (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
It's given that $u$ is harmonic in $\Omega$.
Doesn't that imply that $u \in C^2(\Omega)$? (Wondering)

Oh yes, right... (Nod)

I like Serena said:
Let's reduce the problem to a one-dimensional problem first.
Suppose we have a function $f:\mathbb R \to \mathbb R$ with $f(x) \ge 0$ and $f\in C^2(\mathbb R)$.
And suppose we know that $f(0)=f(1)=0$.

Now suppose there is a $p \in (0,1)$ such that $f(p)>0$.
Then it follows from the mean value theorem that there are points $c \in (0,p)$ and $d \in (p,1)$, such that:
$$f'(c) = \frac{f(p) - 0}{p-0} > 0 \\ f'(d)= \frac{0-f(p)}{1-p} < 0$$
Right? (Wondering)

Now let's define $g: \mathbb R \to \mathbb R$ with $g(x) = f'(x)$.
So we have $g(c) > 0$ and $g(d) < 0$.
Then it follows from the mean value theorem that there is an $e \in (c,d)$, such that:
$$g'(e) = \frac{g(d)-g(c)}{d-c} < 0$$
Right? (Wondering)

In other words, there is a point $e \in (0,1)$, such that $f''(e) < 0$.
More generally, if a smooth function first goes up and then goes down, there must be a point where the second derivative is negative. (Thinking)

I understand. But applying the mean value theorem for functions of several variables we just get one equation.
How can we get something about $\nabla{u}$? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Oh yes, right... (Nod)

I understand. But applying the mean value theorem for functions of several variables we just get one equation.
How can we get something about $\nabla{u}$? (Thinking)

Erm... I'm not sure any more.
I can tell that with $u(p)>0$ there will be a point where $\nabla u \ne 0$, but now I'm unsure how to turn that into a point where $\Delta u \ne 0$. (Worried)

I think we can apply the maximum principle:
[box=green]
Let $u = u(x), x = (x_1, …, x_n)$ be a $C^2$ function which satisfies the differential inequality
$$Lu = \sum_{ij} a_{ij}(x)\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x_i\partial x_j} +
\sum_i b_i\frac{\partial u}{\partial x_i} \geq 0$$
in an open domain $Ω$, where the symmetric matrix $a_{ij} = a_{ij}(x)$ is locally uniformly positive definite in $Ω$ and the coefficients $a_{ij}, b_i = b_i(x)$ are locally bounded. If $u$ takes a maximum value $M$ in $Ω$ then $u ≡ M$.
[/box]

If we pick $Lu=\Delta (-u) = 0 \ge 0$, it follows from $(-u) \le 0$ that $-u\equiv 0$. (Thinking)

I haven't seen directly this theorem.
Could we use for example also the following?

Let $u \in C^2(\Omega)$ satisfies in the space $\Omega$ the relation $Lu \geq 0$. We suppose that $\Omega$ satifies the interior sphere condition.
If $c=0$ then $u$ does not achieve its maximum in $\Omega$ if it is not constant.

And we also have the following:

Suppose that $L$ is an elliptic operator in $\Omega$, $c \equiv 0$.
If $Lu \geq 0$ then $u$ achieves its maximum in $\partial{\Omega}$, i.e. $\sup_{\overline{\Omega}} u= \sup_{\partial{\Omega}} u$.

From that we can deduce that $u \equiv =0$ in $\Omega'$. Right?
But how can we deduce that $u=0$ in $\Omega$?

Or isn't it as I say? (Thinking)

evinda said:
I haven't seen directly this theorem.
Could we use for example also the following?

Let $u \in C^2(\Omega)$ satisfies in the space $\Omega$ the relation $Lu \geq 0$. We suppose that $\Omega$ satifies the interior sphere condition.
If $c=0$ then $u$ does not achieve its maximum in $\Omega$ if it is not constant.

evinda said:
And we also have the following:

If $Lu \geq 0$ then $u$ achieves its maximum in $\partial{\Omega}$, i.e. $\sup_{\overline{\Omega}} u= \sup_{\partial{\Omega}} u$.

From that we can deduce that $u \equiv =0$ in $\Omega'$. Right?
But how can we deduce that $u=0$ in $\Omega$?

Or isn't it as I say?

That looks correct to me. (Nod)

Since the interior sphere condition is not given, I guess we'll need the second theorem.
To deduce that $u=0$ in $\Omega$, perhaps we can use the proof for the theorem and tweak it a bit.
Do you have the proof for the theorem available? (Wondering)

You mean the proof of this lemma:

?

The proof is the following:

$a_{11} \geq \lambda >0$, $e^{\gamma x_1}$ $\gamma$ constant

$L e^{\gamma x_1}=(\gamma^2 a_{11}+ \gamma \beta_1) e^{\gamma x_1} \geq \lambda (\gamma^2- \gamma \beta_0) e^{\gamma x_1}>0$ where $\beta_0 \geq \frac{|\beta_1|}{\lambda}$, $\gamma> \beta_0$.

$L(u+ \epsilon e^{\gamma x_1})=Lu+ \epsilon L e^{\gamma x_1} >0$ $(\epsilon>0)$

so $u+ \epsilon e^{\gamma x_1}$ is such that

$\sup_{\overline{\Omega}} (u+ \epsilon e^{\gamma x_1}) \leq \sup_{\partial{\Omega}} (u+ \epsilon e^{\gamma x_1}) \forall \epsilon>0$

And then we take the limit $\epsilon \to 0$.

Does this proof somehow help? (Thinking)

evinda said:
so $u+ \epsilon e^{\gamma x_1}$ is such that

$\sup_{\overline{\Omega}} (u+ \epsilon e^{\gamma x_1}) \leq \sup_{\partial{\Omega}} (u+ \epsilon e^{\gamma x_1}) \forall \epsilon>0$

I don't understand this last step.
Can you explain it? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
I don't understand this last step.
Can you explain it? (Wondering)

I think that we use this lemma:

If $c<0, Lu \geq 0$ or $c \leq 0, Lu>0$ then u $(C^2(\Omega) \cap C^0(\overline{\Omega}))$ does not achieve its positive maximum at the interior points of $\Omega$ $(\overline{\Omega} \setminus{\partial{\Omega}})$.In our case, $c \leq 0, Lu>0$.

evinda said:
I think that we use this lemma:

If $c<0, Lu \geq 0$ or $c \leq 0, Lu>0$ then u $(C^2(\Omega) \cap C^0(\overline{\Omega}))$ does not achieve its positive maximum at the interior points of $\Omega$ $(\overline{\Omega} \setminus{\partial{\Omega}})$.

Do you have a proof for that? (Wondering)
In our case, $c \leq 0, Lu>0$.

I presume $c$ is defined as $c = u|_{\partial\Omega}$?

If we have $c=0$ for $u$, don't we have $c>0$ for $u+\epsilon e^{\gamma x_1}$?
Or am I missing something? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
I presume $c$ is defined as $c = u|_{\partial\Omega}$?

No $c$ is a function that appears at the elliptic operator.

We have that $Lu=\sum_{i,j=1}^n a_{ij}(x) u_{x_i x_j}+ \sum_{i=1}^n \beta_i(x) u_{x_i}+c(x)u$

If $c=0$ we talk about the maximum, but if $c \leq 0$ we talk about the positive maximum.

I like Serena said:
Do you have a proof for that? (Wondering)

Yes. The proof is the following:

$Lu \equiv \sum_{i,j=1}^n a_{ij}(x) u_{x_i x_j}+ \sum_{i,j=1}^n \beta_i u_{x_i}+ cu$

We suppose that in $x_0 \in \overline{\Omega} \setminus{\partial{\Omega}}$ u achieves its positive maximum.

In $x_0 $ we have $cu \leq 0, \sum_{i=1}^n \beta_i u_{x_i}=0, \sum_{i,j=1}^n a_{ij} u_{x_i x_j} \leq 0$.In $x_0 \in \overline{\Omega} \setminus{\partial{\Omega}}$ where we have the positive maximum , it holds

1) $Lu|_{x_0}<0$ contradiction since $Lu \geq 0$

2) $Lu|_{x_0 } \leq 0$ contradiction since $Lu>0$.

Related to Show that the function equals to the zero function

1. What does it mean to show that a function equals to the zero function?

To show that a function equals to the zero function means to prove that the output of the function is always equal to zero for all possible inputs. In other words, the graph of the function would be a straight line at y=0, passing through the origin.

2. How can I prove that a function equals to the zero function?

To prove that a function equals to the zero function, you can use various methods such as direct substitution, algebraic manipulation, or calculus techniques like differentiation or integration. The method you choose will depend on the complexity of the function and the tools you have available.

3. Can a function equal to the zero function without being identically zero?

Yes, a function can equal to the zero function without being identically zero. This means that the function can have other values besides zero, but these values will not affect the overall output of the function, which will always be zero.

4. Is showing that a function equals to the zero function the same as proving a function is constant?

No, showing that a function equals to the zero function means that the output is always zero, while proving a function is constant means that the output is always the same value, which could be any number. A constant function is a special case of a zero function, where the output is always equal to a specific number.

5. Why is it important to show that a function equals to the zero function?

Showing that a function equals to the zero function is important in many mathematical applications, as it allows us to simplify expressions and solve equations more easily. It also helps us understand the behavior of a function and its relationship with other functions. Additionally, it can be used to prove theorems and solve real-world problems.