Show that the graph is convex for all values of ##x##

In summary, @anuttarasammyak is saying that we need to minimize x^2+3x and that this is at x=-1.5. The minimal value of x^2+3x is -2.25 and the minimal value of e^{x^2+3x} is 1/e^{(9/4).}
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Kindly see attached
Relevant Equations
differentiation
1686629535288.png

Part (a) no problem...chain rule

##\dfrac{dy}{dx}= (2x+3)⋅ e^{x^2+3} =0##

##x=-1.5##

For part b,

We need to determine and check if ##\dfrac{d^2y}{dx^2}>0##

##\dfrac{d^2y}{dx^2}=e^{x^2+3x} [(2x+3)^2+2)]##

Now any value of ## x## will always give us, ##\dfrac{d^2y}{dx^2}>0##

The other way/approach would be to pick any two points on the curve and check whether the straight line joining the two points lies under/over the curve to ascertain convex property.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let me follow you.
[tex]x^2+3x=x(x+3)=(x+3/2)^2-9/4[/tex]
Its minimum is -9/4 at x= -3/2 where ##y=e^{-9/4}## which is also an only minium for y of
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow -\infty}y=\lim_{x \rightarrow +\infty}y=+\infty[/tex]

Last edited:
Likes chwala
anuttarasammyak said:
Let me follow you.
[tex]x^2+3x=x(x+3)=(x+3/2)^2-9/4[/tex]
Its minimum is -9/4 at x= -3/2 where ##y=e^{-9/4}## which is also an only minium for y of
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow -\infty}y=\lim_{x \rightarrow +\infty}y=+\infty[/tex]
Boss,
Are you certain of the minimum value ##\left[-\dfrac{9}{4}\right]##? or i am reading the wrong script! Ok seen what you meant. We have to be careful with the english here :biggrin: the minimum is actually the value ##[e^{-\frac{9}{4}}]##.

You can always use WA to check a solution:
1686664386913.png

You misunderstood what @anuttarasammyak has written.

In order to minimize ##e^{x^2+3x}## we need to minmize ##x^2+3x## which is at ##x=-1.5.##
The minimal value of ##x^2+3x## is therefore ##-2.25.##
The minimal value of ##e^{x^2+3x}## is thus ##1/e^{(9/4)}.##

All this happens at ##x=-1.5.##

Last edited:
Likes chwala
fresh_42 said:
The minimal value of ##x^2+3## is therefore ##-2.25.##
Typo: the minimal value of ##x^2 + 3## is 3. I'm sure you omitted x in the second term.

Mark44 said:
Typo: the minimal value of ##x^2 + 3## is 3. I'm sure you omitted x in the second term.
Thank you. I corrected it.

Related to Show that the graph is convex for all values of ##x##

What does it mean for a graph to be convex?

A graph is said to be convex if, for any two points on the graph, the line segment connecting them lies above or on the graph. Mathematically, a function f(x) is convex if its second derivative f''(x) is non-negative for all x in its domain.

How do you determine if a graph is convex?

To determine if a graph is convex, you need to check the second derivative of the function. If the second derivative f''(x) is greater than or equal to zero for all x in the domain, then the graph is convex.

What is the significance of the second derivative in determining convexity?

The second derivative of a function provides information about the curvature of the graph. If the second derivative is positive, the graph is curving upwards, indicating convexity. If the second derivative is zero, the graph is a straight line, which is also considered convex. If the second derivative is negative, the graph is concave, not convex.

Can a function be convex if its second derivative is zero everywhere?

Yes, a function can be convex if its second derivative is zero everywhere. In this case, the function is linear, and a linear function is considered convex because the line segment between any two points on the graph lies exactly on the graph.

Are there any exceptions or special cases in determining convexity?

In general, the second derivative test is a reliable method for determining convexity. However, there are special cases, such as piecewise functions or functions with points of non-differentiability, where the second derivative test may not be directly applicable. In such cases, other methods, such as examining the definition of convexity directly, may be required.