Show that the motion is simple harmonic

In summary, The problem discusses a solid wooden cylinder of radius r and mass M that is weighted at one end so that it floats upright in calm seawater. It is pulled down a distance x from its equilibrium position and released. The goal is to show that the block will undergo simple harmonic motion and determine the period of oscillations, ignoring the resistive effects of water. The attempt at a solution involves using the equations F = W - Fb and F = ma, but there is confusion about the variables and how they relate to the buoyant force. Ultimately, the solution involves finding the equation F = -kx that satisfies the conditions for SHM, with the restoring force being proportional to the displacement and always pointing towards the equilibrium position.
Nemo's

Homework Statement

A solid wooden cylinder of radius r and mass M. It's weighted at one end so that it floats upright in calm seawater, having density ρ the buoy is pulled down a distance x from it's equilibrium position and released.
a- Show that the block will undergo s.h.m
b- Determine the period of oscillations (the resistive effects of water are ignored)

The Attempt at a Solution

F=W-Fb
g/ρ(ρ-ρw)=a

I was trying to get a=-w^2 x

Physics news on Phys.org
Nemo's said:

Homework Statement

A solid wooden cylinder of radius r and mass M. It's weighted at one end so that it floats upright in calm seawater, having density ρ the buoy is pulled down a distance x from it's equilibrium position and released.
a- Show that the block will undergo s.h.m
b- Determine the period of oscillations (the resistive effects of water are ignored)

The Attempt at a Solution

F=W-Fb
g/ρ(ρ-ρw)=a

I was trying to get a=-w^2 x

If it's shm the wood block satisfies the equation mx'' + kx = 0. Find k (and of course assume a finite initial condition. I would pick x(0+). Your first equation F = W - Fb is germane. The second one I can't figure out.

rude man said:
The second one I can't figure out.

I used Fnet=ma
so W-Fb=ma
ρVg-ρw*V*g=(M+m)a
Vg(ρ-ρw)=(M+m)a
((M+m)/ρ)g(ρ-ρw)=(M+m)a
Then I crossed out (M+m)

Nemo's said:
I used Fnet=ma
so W-Fb=ma
ρVg-ρw*V*g=(M+m)a

What's V? You need to define all your parameters.
Also pay attention to your parentheses. They don't make sense.

Anyway, bottom line is:
it's floating straight up in the water. If you push the cylinder down a distance x, what is the net force acting on it? That's your k.

You don't need gravity in your equation. Gravity is a constant force. When x=0 it's already taken into account, and it doesn't vary with x. So the only force left is buoyancy. How does it vary with x?

rude man said:
What's V? You need to define all your parameters.
Also pay attention to your parentheses. They don't make sense.
V is the total volume of the cylinder. ( I assumed that the cylinder is totally submerged in water; maybe that's not the case here
rude man said:
Anyway, bottom line is:
it's floating straight up in the water. If you push the cylinder down a distance x, what is the net force acting on it? That's your k.

You don't need gravity in your equation. Gravity is a constant force. When x=0 it's already taken into account, and it doesn't vary with x. So the only force left is buoyancy. How does it vary with x?
I'm not sure I understand this why isn't the weight of the cylinder taken into account ??
I think that as the block is pushed a distance x downwards, the bouyant force upwards increases (more water is being displaced now) however, I can't express this in a mathematical equation. Can I use Fb=ρblock *Areablock* x*g instead of ρ*Vsubmerged*g ??

Nemo's said:
V is the total volume of the cylinder. ( I assumed that the cylinder is totally submerged in water; maybe that's not the case here
It is not totally submerged. If it was there'd be no up-and-down s.h.m.
I'm not sure I understand this why isn't the weight of the cylinder taken into account ??

As I explained, it's a constant force canceled by the buoyancy of the floating cylinder. Since it's not a function of depth x it does not enter into the computation. However, if you had been asked to determine the position of the cylinder then you'd have had to use it.

I think that as the block is pushed a distance x downwards, the bouyant force upwards increases (more water is being displaced now) however, I can't express this in a mathematical equation. Can I use Fb=ρblock *Areablock* x*g instead of ρ*Vsubmerged*g ??

Why would ρblock have anything to do with the force as a function of depth x? What force pushes up on the block as you push it into the water? You yourself said 'buoyancy' which is correct. So express buoyancy force as a function of x, considering buoyancy = 0 at x = 0.

PS another way of looking at it is to realize that as you push the block down into the water the pressure on the block's bottom increases while the pressure on top stays at atmospheric pressure.

Likes 1 person
O.K I'll assume that the block is floating over water so that there's no submerged volume.
I will use Fb=ma and prove that a="a constant"*x, if this is true the motion must be SHM right??

Nemo's said:
O.K I'll assume that the block is floating over water so that there's no submerged volume.
I will use Fb=ma and prove that a="a constant"*x, if this is true the motion must be SHM right??

No, a is not a constant. a is acceleration and it changes with the block's position.

You're looking for an equation like F = ma = mx'' = -kx. Find k.

There has to be some submerged volume, otherwise it would bob to the surface and then not face an opposing force at its bottom proportional to -x.

Think of the block as sumberged about halfway & bobbing up and down with the top always above water and the bottom always below.

Likes 1 person
This was my solution

Let p represent density of the fluid
Let V represent the volume of water being displaced by the cube
Let s represent the length of one side of the cube
let x represent represent how far the block is displaced into the fluid

For this to be SHM it must satisfy the relation
F = -kx (Restoring force is proportional to the displacement and always points towards the equilibrium position)The restoring force is the buoyant which is as follows
F = Weight of Fluid Displaced
= pVg
= -p*(s^2)*x*g (since this is water p = 1.00 g/L)
F = -([s^2]/g)x

This satisfies the relation F = -kx where k = (s^2)/g

Related to Show that the motion is simple harmonic

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which a system oscillates back and forth around a central equilibrium position, with a constant amplitude and a constant period. It is described by a sinusoidal function, such as sine or cosine.

2. How do you know if a motion is simple harmonic?

A motion is considered simple harmonic if it follows Hooke's law, which states that the restoring force on an object is directly proportional to the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position. This means that the motion must be linear and have a constant force acting in the opposite direction of the displacement.

3. What is the equation for simple harmonic motion?

The equation for simple harmonic motion is x(t) = A*cos(ωt + φ), where x is the displacement from the equilibrium position, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the initial phase angle.

4. What is the relationship between frequency and period in simple harmonic motion?

The frequency of simple harmonic motion is the number of complete oscillations per unit time, while the period is the time it takes for one complete oscillation. The relationship between frequency (f) and period (T) is f = 1/T, meaning they are inversely proportional.

5. How is simple harmonic motion used in real-world applications?

Simple harmonic motion is used in various real-world applications, such as pendulums in clocks, mass-spring systems in car suspensions, and the motion of a swinging door. It is also used in the study of vibrations and waves in physics and engineering.