Show that the polynomial has no real roots

In summary, The polynomial $x^8-x^7+x^2-x+15$ has no real roots. To prove this, the function $f(x)=x^8-x^7+x^2-x$ is considered and it is shown that $f(x)+15$ is a shifted version of $f(x)$ along the y-axis. It is then shown that the minimum value of $f(x)$ is greater than 15, thus proving that the polynomial has no real roots. The method used involves finding the minimum value of $f(x)$ by solving $f'(x)=0$, but since $f'(x)$ has no nice real roots, the value cannot be found. Instead, it is shown that $f
Saitama
Problem:
Show that the polynomial $x^8-x^7+x^2-x+15$ has no real root.

Attempt:
I am not sure what should be the best way to approach the problem.

I thought of defining $f(x)=x^8-x^7+x^2-x$ because $f(x)+15$ is basically a shifted version of $f(x)$ along the y-axis. So if $15$ is greater than the minimum value of $f(x)$, I can conclude that the polynomial in the question has no real roots.

$f(x)$ can be written as $x(x-1)(x^6+1)$ i.e $f(x)$ has $1$ and $0$ as its real roots. $f'(x)=8x^7-7x^6+2x-1$ and this has no nice real roots. I can't find the minimum value of $f(x)$ if I can't solve $f'(x)=0$. I am stuck here.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
So $f(x)<0\iff 0<x<1$. We have $f(x)=x(x−1)(x^6+1)\ge-|x(x−1)(x^6+1)|$ and
\[
|x(x−1)(x^6+1)|\le|x|\cdot|x-1|\cdot|x^6+1|<1\cdot1\cdot2=2
\]
for $0<x<1$. Therefore, $f(x)>-2$.

See http://mathhelpboards.com/challenge-questions-puzzles-28/prove-equation-has-no-real-solution-8986.html?highlight=real+roots.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
So $f(x)<0\iff 0<x<1$. We have $f(x)=x(x−1)(x^6+1)\ge-|x(x−1)(x^6+1)|$ and
\[
|x(x−1)(x^6+1)|\le|x|\cdot|x-1|\cdot|x^6+1|<1\cdot1\cdot2=2
\]
for $0<x<1$. Therefore, $f(x)>-2$.

Thanks Evgeny.Makarov! :)

Opalg said:
See http://mathhelpboards.com/challenge-questions-puzzles-28/prove-equation-has-no-real-solution-8986.html?highlight=real+roots.

I did not know that the very same problem had been already discussed here, thanks Opalg, nice to know I was along the right lines. :)

FAQ: Show that the polynomial has no real roots

1. What does it mean for a polynomial to have no real roots?

When a polynomial has no real roots, it means that there are no values for the variable in the polynomial that would result in the polynomial being equal to 0. In other words, the polynomial does not intersect with the x-axis on a graph.

2. How can you prove that a polynomial has no real roots?

One way to prove that a polynomial has no real roots is by using the Rational Root Theorem, which states that if a polynomial has any rational roots, they must be in the form of p/q where p is a factor of the constant term and q is a factor of the leading coefficient. If there are no such roots, then the polynomial has no real roots.

3. Can a polynomial have no real roots but still have complex roots?

Yes, a polynomial can have no real roots but still have complex roots. This means that the roots of the polynomial would be in the form of a+bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit.

4. Are there any other methods for determining if a polynomial has no real roots?

Yes, the Descartes' Rule of Signs and the Intermediate Value Theorem are two other methods that can be used to determine if a polynomial has no real roots. Descartes' Rule of Signs looks at the signs of the coefficients to determine the possible number of positive and negative roots. The Intermediate Value Theorem states that if a polynomial changes signs between two values, then there must be a root between those two values.

5. What are some real-life applications of knowing if a polynomial has no real roots?

Knowing if a polynomial has no real roots can be useful in various fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. For example, in engineering, polynomial functions are often used to model real-world systems and knowing if a polynomial has no real roots can help engineers determine the behavior of the system. In economics, polynomial functions can be used to model market trends and knowing if a polynomial has no real roots can help analysts make predictions about the market.

Back