Show that the total weight w of an assembly in thermal equilibrium is

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that the total weight of an assembly in thermal equilibrium is at its maximum. This involves establishing an equation and using differentiation to prove that it is a maximum. The example given is when two systems with different energies can exchange energy to form a total system, and the maximum probability occurs when the derivative of the probability with respect to the total energy is equal to zero, or when the temperatures of the two systems are equal, indicating thermal equilibrium. It is important to be able to generalize this concept to any thermodynamic system.
VHAHAHA

Homework Statement

Show that the total weight w of an assembly in thermal equilibrium is a maximum.

Homework Equations

S= k ln W?
dS = dQ/ T ?
S is maximize when thermal equilibrium is reached.

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all, i don't know what does "total weight w" means.
Dose it means the number of ways W that a total of N particles can be classified into energy levels?
I think that I have to establish a equation W = f(S) and use differentiation to prove that it is a maximum.
However, i have no clue to start my work.
Can someone give me some clues so that i can start my work? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would assume that the "weight" is a statistical weight, i.e. the relative probability. Here is a related example to get you started. Suppose you have two systems A and A' with energies E and E', respectively. These systems can exchange energy, and form a total system A0 with energy E0. The probability, say Pr(E0) that the total system A0 is in a particular state (configuration of A and A') depends on how the energy is distributed between A and A'. That is Pr(E0) = Pr(E,E'). The maximum probability occurs when the derivative vanishes, i.e. dPr(E0)/dE0 = 0, or equivalently dln(Pr(E0))/dE0 = 0 because the natural logarithm is a monotonically increasing function. In general, ln(Pr(E,E')) is proportional to ln(W(E)) + ln(W'(E')) + C, where W(E) and W'(E') are the number of microstates accessible to A and A' respectively, and C is a normalization constant. We recall that dln(W(E))/dE is proportional to 1/T, and likewise for the other system. This means that maximal probability implies equality of temperatures, which is the condition for thermal equilibrium. I have glossed over some details, leaving them to you. One last point is that you must be able to generalize this to any thermodynamic system. I hope this helps.

Last edited:

Related to Show that the total weight w of an assembly in thermal equilibrium is

1. What is thermal equilibrium?

Thermal equilibrium refers to a state in which the temperature of a system remains constant over time. In other words, there is no net transfer of heat between different parts of the system.

2. How is thermal equilibrium related to the weight of an assembly?

In thermal equilibrium, the weight of an assembly is determined by the balance between the forces acting on it, including gravitational force and thermal energy. This balance ensures that the assembly's weight remains constant.

3. How is the total weight of an assembly calculated?

The total weight of an assembly is calculated by summing the weights of all individual components within the assembly. This includes the weight of any materials, objects, or particles present in the assembly.

4. Why is it important to consider thermal equilibrium when measuring the weight of an assembly?

If an assembly is not in thermal equilibrium, its weight may vary due to changes in temperature. This can lead to inaccurate measurements and affect the overall stability and functionality of the assembly.

5. Can thermal equilibrium be achieved in all systems?

No, thermal equilibrium can only be achieved in closed systems, where there is no exchange of heat with the surrounding environment. In open systems, thermal equilibrium may not be possible due to constant heat exchange with the surroundings.

Back