Show that there are no a,b such that a^n-b^n | a^n + b^n

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
In summary, in the given conversation, the participants discuss the problem of showing that there are no solutions to the equation $a^n-b^n \mid a^n+b^n$ for certain values of $a,b,$ and $n$. They go through various steps and eventually reach a contradiction, proving that the equation has no solutions. The conversation also touches on the concept of numbers being a certain distance apart and the implications for their common factors.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hey again! (Mmm)

I want to show that there are no $a,b \geq 1, n \geq 2$ such that $a^n-b^n \mid a^n+b^n$.

That's what I have tried so far:

$$\exists k \in \mathbb{Z} \text{ such that } a^n+b^n=k(a^n-b^n)$$

Let $d=(a,b)$, $a_1=\frac{a}{d} \ , b_1=\frac{b}{d}$ , then $(a_1,b_1)=1$

So,we have :

$$d^n \cdot a_1^n+d^n \cdot b_1^n=k(d^n \cdot a_1^n-d^n \cdot b_1^n) \\ \Rightarrow a_1^n+b_1^n=k(a_1^n-b_1^n) \\ \Rightarrow (k-1) a^n=(k+1) b_1^n$$

But...how could I continue? (Thinking) (Thinking)

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hmm... this is SOLVED?
But... but... I have just figured it out! (Crying)

I like Serena said:
Hmm... this is SOLVED?
But... but... I have just figured it out! (Crying)

It doesn't matter that it is solved.. I would be glad to hear also your idea! (Happy)

evinda said:
$$(k-1) a_1^n=(k+1) b_1^n$$

Well... we already know that $(a_1, b_1) = 1$.
And since $k-1$ and $k+1$ are only 2 points apart, that must mean that they either have only the factor 2 in common, or they are co-prime.

So let's assume $k-1$ and $k+1$ are co-prime for now.
Then that can only mean that $(k-1) =b_1^n$ and $a_1^n=(k+1)$, since a prime factorization is guaranteed to be unique.

In turn that means that $a_1^n$ and $b_1^n$ are 2 points apart.
But... that is not possible if $(a_1, b_1)=1$ and $n>1$.

Contradiction! (Bandit)(Thinking)

We can apply the same line of reasoning if $(k-1,k+1)=2$.

evinda said:
It doesn't matter that it is solved.. I would be glad to hear also your idea! (Happy)

So what is your solution? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Well... we already know that $(a_1, b_1) = 1$.
And since $k-1$ and $k+1$ are only 2 points apart, that must mean that they either have only the factor 2 in common, or they are co-prime.

Is it known,that if we have two numbers that are two points apart,that they either have only the factor 2 in common, or they are co-prime? (Thinking) (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
So let's assume $k-1$ and $k+1$ are co-prime for now.
Then that can only mean that $(k-1) =b_1^n$ and $a_1^n=(k+1)$, since a prime factorization is guaranteed to be unique.

In turn that means that $a_1^n$ and $b_1^n$ are 2 points apart.
But... that is not possible if $(a_1, b_1)=1$ and $n>1$.

Contradiction! (Bandit)(Thinking)

We can apply the same line of reasoning if $(k-1,k+1)=2$.

Why if $(a_1,b_1)=1$,isn't it possible that $a_1^n \text{ and }b_1^n$ are 2 points apart?? :confused:

I like Serena said:
So what is your solution? (Wondering)

We suppose that:

$$a^n-b^n \mid a^n + b^n (1)$$

Let $d=(a,b), a_1=\frac{a}{d}, b_1=\frac{b}{d} \Rightarrow a=a_1 \cdot d , b=b_1 \cdot d$

$$(1) \Rightarrow a_1^n d^n-b_1^n d^n \mid a_1^n d^n+b_1^n d^n \Rightarrow a_1^n-b_1^n \mid a_1^n+b_1^n$$

Now,we have that:

$$a_1^n-b_1^n \mid a_1^n+b_1^n \text{ and } a_1^n-b_1^n \mid a_1^n-b_1^n \text{ , so we conclude that } a_1^n-b_1^n \mid 2 b_1^n$$

As $(a_1,b_1)=1 \Rightarrow (a_1^n-b_1^n,b_1^n)=1$

So, $a_1^n-b_1^n \mid 2 b_1^n \Rightarrow a_1^n-b_1^n \mid 2$,but this cannot be,because:

We suppose that $a_1>b_1$,Then:

$$a_1 \geq b_1+1 \Rightarrow a_1^n \geq (b_1+1)^n \Rightarrow a_1^n-b_1^n \geq (b_1+1)^n-b_1^n=2^n-1>2, \text{ so it is a contradiction.}$$

evinda said:
Is it known,that if we have two numbers that are two points apart,that they either have only the factor 2 in common, or they are co-prime? (Thinking) (Thinking)

Suppose we have two numbers $u$ and $v$ with $(u,v)=d$.
Then there must be some distinct $m$ and $n$ such that $u=md$ and $v=nd$.
This implies that $|u-v| = |m-n| d \ge d$.
So two numbers are always at least their gcd apart.

If the gcd would be greater than 2 than the numbers have to be more than 2 points apart. (Thinking)
Why if $(a_1,b_1)=1$,isn't it possible that $a_1^n \text{ and }b_1^n$ are 2 points apart?? :confused:

The smallest possible difference between $a_1^n$ and $b_1^n$ occurs when $a_1$ and $b_1$ are 1 point apart.
So let's assume $b_1=a_1+1$.
Then $b_1^n = (a_1+1)^n = a_1^n + n a_1 + ... + 1$.
So the difference between $a_1^n$ and $b_1^n$ is always greater than $na_1$, which is at least 2 when $n>1$ and $a_1 \ge 1$.

So the difference between $a_1^n$ and $b_1^n$ is greater than 2.
We suppose that:

$$a^n-b^n \mid a^n + b^n (1)$$

Let $d=(a,b), a_1=\frac{a}{d}, b_1=\frac{b}{d} \Rightarrow a=a_1 \cdot d , b=b_1 \cdot d$

$$(1) \Rightarrow a_1^n d^n-b_1^n d^n \mid a_1^n d^n+b_1^n d^n \Rightarrow a_1^n-b_1^n \mid a_1^n+b_1^n$$

Now,we have that:

$$a_1^n-b_1^n \mid a_1^n+b_1^n \text{ and } a_1^n-b_1^n \mid a_1^n-b_1^n \text{ , so we conclude that } a_1^n-b_1^n \mid 2 b_1^n$$

As $(a_1,b_1)=1 \Rightarrow (a_1^n-b_1^n,b_1^n)=1$

So, $a_1^n-b_1^n \mid 2 b_1^n \Rightarrow a_1^n-b_1^n \mid 2$,but this cannot be,because:

We suppose that $a_1>b_1$,Then:

$$a_1 \geq b_1+1 \Rightarrow a_1^n \geq (b_1+1)^n \Rightarrow a_1^n-b_1^n \geq (b_1+1)^n-b_1^n=2^n-1>2, \text{ so it is a contradiction.}$$

Nice! (Cool)

Why can we conclude that? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Suppose we have two numbers $u$ and $v$ with $(u,v)=d$.
Then there must be some distinct $m$ and $n$ such that $u=md$ and $v=nd$.
This implies that $|u-v| = |m-n| d \ge d$.
So two numbers are always at least their gcd apart.

If the gcd would be greater than 2 than the numbers have to be more than 2 points apart. (Thinking)

Interesting! (Nerd)

I like Serena said:
The smallest possible difference between $a_1^n$ and $b_1^n$ occurs when $a_1$ and $b_1$ are 1 point apart.
So let's assume $b_1=a_1+1$.
Then $b_1^n = (a_1+1)^n = a_1^n + n a_1 + ... + 1$.
So the difference between $a_1^n$ and $b_1^n$ is always greater than $na_1$, which is at least 2 when $n>1$ and $a_1 \ge 1$.

So the difference between $a_1^n$ and $b_1^n$ is greater than 2.

I understand! (Smile)
I like Serena said:
Why can we conclude that? (Wondering)

$$a_1^n-b_1^n \mid a_1^n-b_1^n \text{ and } a_1^n-b_1^n \mid a_1^n+b_1^n, \text{ so } a_1^n-b_1^n \text{ divides also the difference of these numbers : } \\ a_1^n-b_1^n \mid a_1^n+b_1^n-a_1^n+b_1^n \Rightarrow a_1^n-b_1^n \mid 2b_1^n$$

evinda said:
$$a_1^n-b_1^n \mid a_1^n-b_1^n \text{ and } a_1^n-b_1^n \mid a_1^n+b_1^n, \text{ so } a_1^n-b_1^n \text{ divides also the difference of these numbers } $$

Why is that? (Sweating)

I like Serena said:
Why is that? (Sweating)

If a number divides two numbers,it divides also any linear combination of them..Or am I wrong?? (Thinking)

evinda said:
If a number divides two numbers,it divides also any linear combination of them..Or am I wrong?? (Thinking)

Hmm... maybe... if so, why would that be? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Hmm... maybe... if so, why would that be? (Wondering)

$$a_1^n-b_1^n \mid a_1^n-b_1^n \text{ and } a_1^n-b_1^n \mid a_1^n+b_1^n , \text{ so } a_1^n-b_1^n \text{ divides any linear combination of } a_1^n-b_1^n \text{ and } \\ a_1^n+b_1^n \text{ so it divides also their difference: } \\ a_1^n-b_1^n \mid (a_1^n+b_1^n)-(a_1^n-b_1^n) \Rightarrow a_1^n-b_1^n \mid a_1^n+b_1^n-a_1^n+b_1^n \Rightarrow a_1^n-b_1^n \mid 2b_1^n $$ (Nerd) (Smirk)

evinda said:
$$a_1^n-b_1^n \mid a_1^n-b_1^n \text{ and } a_1^n-b_1^n \mid a_1^n+b_1^n , \text{ so } a_1^n-b_1^n \text{ divides any linear combination of } a_1^n-b_1^n \text{ and } \\ a_1^n+b_1^n \text{ so it divides also their difference: } \\ a_1^n-b_1^n \mid (a_1^n+b_1^n)-(a_1^n-b_1^n) \Rightarrow a_1^n-b_1^n \mid a_1^n+b_1^n-a_1^n+b_1^n \Rightarrow a_1^n-b_1^n \mid 2b_1^n $$ (Nerd) (Smirk)

Okay! (Mmm)

Related to Show that there are no a,b such that a^n-b^n | a^n + b^n

1. What does the statement "a^n-b^n | a^n + b^n" mean?

The symbol "|" in this statement represents "divides evenly into." So, the statement is saying that a^n-b^n is a factor of a^n + b^n with no remainder.

2. How can you prove that there are no values of a and b that satisfy this equation?

We can prove this by contradiction. Assume that there exist values of a and b that satisfy the equation. Then, we can rearrange the equation to get a^n = (a^n-b^n)(a^n+b^n). This means that a^n is a multiple of both (a^n-b^n) and (a^n+b^n). However, this is impossible since (a^n-b^n) and (a^n+b^n) are always relatively prime, meaning they do not have any common factors other than 1. Therefore, our assumption is false and there are no values of a and b that satisfy the equation.

3. Can you provide an example of values for a and b that do not satisfy the equation?

Yes, for any values of a and b where a is not equal to b, the equation will not hold. For example, if a = 2 and b = 3, then a^n-b^n = 2^n-3^n and a^n+b^n = 2^n+3^n. Since 2^n-3^n does not divide evenly into 2^n+3^n, this disproves the equation.

4. Is this equation true for all values of n?

No, this equation is only true for specific values of n. For example, if n = 2, then the equation becomes a^2-b^2 | a^2 + b^2, which can be simplified to (a-b)(a+b) | (a^2 + b^2). This is a well-known result in number theory known as Fermat's Christmas Theorem. However, for other values of n, this equation does not hold.

5. What is the significance of this equation in mathematics?

This equation is significant because it is a special case of Fermat's Last Theorem, which states that there are no positive integer solutions to the equation a^n + b^n = c^n for n > 2. This particular case, known as the "Christmas Theorem," has been proven by mathematicians and is used in various proofs and applications in number theory. It also highlights the beauty and complexity of number theory, as well as the importance of careful mathematical reasoning and proof techniques.