Show that this plane wave satisfies the Schrödinger Eqn

In summary, the Schrödinger Equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the evolution of a quantum system's wave function over time. A plane wave is a type of wave with a constant disturbance on perpendicular planes. To show that a plane wave satisfies the Schrödinger Equation, its function is substituted and solved for. This is important in confirming the validity of the wave function in describing the quantum system. If a plane wave satisfies the Schrödinger Equation, it accurately describes the system's behavior and allows for predictions and calculations to be made.
Old_sm0key

Homework Statement

I'm asked to show that the two dimensional plane wave (for constant C)
[tex]\psi \left ( \mathbf{r} \right )=Ce^{-i\mathbf{k}\cdot \mathbf{r}}[/tex]
satisfies the Schrödinger equation:
[tex]-\frac{\hbar^{2}}{2m_e}\frac{\mathrm{d}^2 \psi\left ( \mathbf{r} \right )}{\mathrm{d} \mathbf{r}^2}=E\psi\left ( \mathbf{r} \right )[/tex]
but I'm flummoxed by differentiating wrt a vector, [itex]\mathbf{r}[/itex]. Can someone explain how I should understand this differential, so that I can produce the required equality?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The intended meaning of ##d^2/d\boldsymbol{r}^2## is the Laplace operator ##\nabla^2##.

Related to Show that this plane wave satisfies the Schrödinger Eqn

1. What is the Schrödinger Equation?

The Schrödinger Equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes how the wave function of a quantum system evolves over time.

2. What is a plane wave?

A plane wave is a type of wave in which the disturbance (such as the amplitude or phase of the wave) is constant on planes that are perpendicular to the direction of propagation.

3. How do you show that a plane wave satisfies the Schrödinger Equation?

To show that a plane wave satisfies the Schrödinger Equation, we substitute the plane wave function into the equation and solve for the wave function and its derivatives. If the resulting equation is equal to the original Schrödinger Equation, then the plane wave satisfies the equation.

4. Why is it important to show that a plane wave satisfies the Schrödinger Equation?

It is important to show that a plane wave satisfies the Schrödinger Equation because it confirms that the wave function is a valid solution to the equation and accurately describes the quantum system being studied.

5. What does it mean if a plane wave satisfies the Schrödinger Equation?

If a plane wave satisfies the Schrödinger Equation, it means that the wave function is a valid solution and accurately describes the behavior of the quantum system. This allows us to make predictions and calculations about the system's properties and behavior.