Showing forces between 2 current loops are in accord with Newtons 3rd law

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that the forces between two current loops follow Newton's 3rd law. The equation for the force between the loops is given, and the attempt at a solution involves setting up coordinates and integrating around each loop. However, it is suggested that simply interchanging the loops and changing the sign of the distance will show that the sign of the force also reverses, thus proving Newton's 3rd law.
EngageEngage

Homework Statement

show that the forces between two current loops obey Newtons 3rd law.

Homework Equations

[tex] \textbf{F}_{12}=\frac{\mu I_{1}I_{2}}{4 \pi s^{2}} d\textbf{r}_{1}\times(d\textbf{r}_{2}\times \textbf{s}) [/tex]
s is the distance between the elements of current

The Attempt at a Solution

So, i have to show that:
[tex] \textbf{F}_{12}=-\textbf{F}_{21}[/tex]
I will set all the scalar stuff equal to a constant k. i use the BAC CAB rule to get:
[tex]\textbf{F}_{12}=k(d\textbf{r}_{2}(d\textbf{r}_{1}\cdot\textbf{s})-\textbf{s}(d\textbf{r}_{1}\cdot d\textbf{r}_{2}))[/tex]

I set up my coordinate system so that my first loop lies at x = 0, and the other at x = 1, with equal radii, r = 1, which gives me the following equations:
[tex]
d\textbf{r}_{1}=(-sin(\theta),cos(\theta),0)d\theta[/tex]
[tex]d\textbf{r}_{2}=(-sin(\phi),cos(phi),0)d\phi[/tex]
[tex] \textbf{s}=\frac{\textbf{r}_1-\textbf{r}_{2}}{||\textbf{r}_1-\textbf{r}_{2}||}=\frac{(cos(\theta)-cos(\phi),sin(\theta)-sin(\phi),-1)}{||(cos(\theta)-cos(\phi),sin(\theta)-sin(\phi),-1)||}[/tex]
Is this right? This will allow me to first integrate around the first loop and then the second. When I do the resulting integral i end up getting 0. Could someone please tell me why I am doing this incorrectly? Any help is greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you have to integrate anything. Can't you just show that if you interchange 1<->2 (which means also changing s->-s) that the sign of the integrand reverses?

Related to Showing forces between 2 current loops are in accord with Newtons 3rd law

What is Newton's 3rd law?

Newton's 3rd law, also known as the law of action and reaction, states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when two objects interact, the forces they exert on each other are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction.

How do current loops demonstrate Newton's 3rd law?

Current loops, or closed circuits of electric current, demonstrate Newton's 3rd law because the magnetic forces between them are always equal and opposite. This means that the force exerted by one loop on the other is matched by an equal and opposite force exerted by the second loop on the first.

What is the relationship between the direction of the forces and the direction of the current loops?

The direction of the forces between two current loops is always perpendicular to the plane of the loops and follows the right-hand rule. This means that if the current in one loop flows in a clockwise direction, the force on the other loop will be in the opposite direction.

Can the forces between current loops be repulsive?

Yes, the forces between two current loops can be either attractive or repulsive. This depends on the direction of the current in each loop. If the currents are in the same direction, the forces will be attractive. If the currents are in opposite directions, the forces will be repulsive.

Why is it important to understand the forces between current loops in relation to Newton's 3rd law?

Understanding the forces between current loops in relation to Newton's 3rd law is important because it helps us to accurately predict and explain the behavior of electric currents. It also allows us to design and optimize devices that use electric currents, such as motors and generators, based on the principles of Newton's 3rd law.