Showing scalar functions u(x,y,z) and v(x,y,z) are related

In summary, you proved that F(u,v) = 0 necessarily follows from ∇u x ∇v = 0. This in turn implies that F(u,v) = 0 is necessary.
bla1089
1.a. Show that ∇F[u(x,y,z),v(x,y,z)] = Fu∇v + Fv∇u
1.b. Show that a necessary and sufficient condition that u and v are functionally related by the equation F(u,v) = 0 is ∇u x ∇v = 0

Homework Equations

∇ = [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x}[/itex][itex]\widehat{i}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial y}[/itex][itex]\widehat{j}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial z}[/itex][itex]\widehat{k}[/itex]

3. The Attempt at a Solution 1.a
∇F[u(x,y,z),v(x,y,z)] = (Fuux + Fvvx)[itex]\widehat{i}[/itex] + (Fuuy + Fvvy)[itex]\widehat{j}[/itex] + (Fuuz + Fvvz)[itex]\widehat{k}[/itex] = Fu∇u + Fv∇v4. The attempt at solution 1.b
I'm honestly stuck. The necessary and sufficient condition throws me. If I work from the assumption that F[u,v] = 0, I can get:

∇F x ∇v = Fu∇u x ∇v = 0
∇F x ∇u = Fv∇v x ∇u = 0

Either of which lead to ∇u x ∇v = 0

But this seems to show neither necessity nor sufficiency.

I know that this leads to developing the Jacobian and I have an inkling that the delta function may help, but can't get anywhere with that. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
On the contrary, your work so far demonstrates necessity. You proved [itex]F(u,v) = 0 \implies \nabla u \times \nabla v = 0[/itex]. In other words, you proved [itex]\nabla u \times \nabla v = 0[/itex] is necessary follows from [itex]F(u,v) = 0[/itex].

Now prove [itex]\nabla u \times \nabla v = 0 \implies F(u,v) = 0[/itex] to demonstrate sufficiency.

Last edited:
QED Andrew said:
On the contrary, your work so far demonstrates necessity. You proved [itex]\nabla u \times \nabla v = 0 \implies F(u,v) = 0[/itex]. In other words, you proved [itex]F(u,v) = 0[/itex] necessarily follows from [itex]\nabla u \times \nabla v = 0[/itex].

Now prove [itex]F(u,v) = 0 \implies \nabla u \times \nabla v = 0[/itex] to demonstrate sufficiency.

Let F[u,v] = uv

∇F = u∇v + v∇u

Repeat the cross products? I guess I'm lost on the starting point to demonstrate sufficiency.

My previous post was in error, which I will proceed to correct with a detailed explanation.

Assume [itex]F(u,v) = 0[/itex].

[tex]F(u,v) = 0[/tex]

[tex]\implies \begin{cases} \frac{dF}{dx} = 0 \\\\ \frac{dF}{dy} = 0 \\\\ \frac{dF}{dz} = 0 \end{cases}[/tex]

[tex]\implies \begin{cases} \frac{\partial F}{\partial u}\frac{\partial u}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial F}{\partial v}\frac{\partial v}{\partial x} = 0 \\\\ \frac{\partial F}{\partial u}\frac{\partial u}{\partial y} + \frac{\partial F}{\partial v}\frac{\partial v}{\partial y} = 0 \\\\ \frac{\partial F}{\partial u}\frac{\partial u}{\partial z} + \frac{\partial F}{\partial v}\frac{\partial v}{\partial z} = 0 \end{cases}[/tex]

[tex]\implies \begin{cases} \frac{\partial F}{\partial u}\frac{\partial u}{\partial x} = -\frac{\partial F}{\partial v}\frac{\partial v}{\partial x} \\\\ \frac{\partial F}{\partial u}\frac{\partial u}{\partial y} = -\frac{\partial F}{\partial v}\frac{\partial v}{\partial y} \\\\ \frac{\partial F}{\partial u}\frac{\partial u}{\partial z} = -\frac{\partial F}{\partial v}\frac{\partial v}{\partial z} \end{cases}[/tex]

[tex]\implies \begin{cases} \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} \frac{\partial v}{\partial y} = \frac{\partial u}{\partial y}\frac{\partial v}{\partial x} \\\\ \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} \frac{\partial v}{\partial z} = \frac{\partial u}{\partial z}\frac{\partial v}{\partial x} \\\\ \frac{\partial u}{\partial y} \frac{\partial v}{\partial z} = \frac{\partial u}{\partial z}\frac{\partial v}{\partial y} \end{cases}[/tex]

Now, compute [itex]\nabla u \times \nabla v[/itex].

[tex]\nabla u \times \nabla v = (\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}\frac{\partial v}{\partial z} - \frac{\partial u}{\partial z}\frac{\partial v}{\partial y})\mathbf{i} - (\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\frac{\partial v}{\partial z} - \frac{\partial u}{\partial z}\frac{\partial v}{\partial x})\mathbf{j} + (\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\frac{\partial v}{\partial y} - \frac{\partial u}{\partial y}\frac{\partial v}{\partial x})\mathbf{k} = 0\mathbf{i} + 0\mathbf{j} + 0\mathbf{k} = \mathbf{0}[/tex]

We have proved [itex]\nabla u \times \nabla v = \mathbf{0}[/itex] necessarily follows from [itex]F(u,v) = 0[/itex]. In other words, [itex]\nabla u \times \nabla v = \mathbf{0}[/itex] is necessary for [itex]F(u,v) = 0[/itex].

Reversing the direction of the proof shows [itex]\nabla u \times \nabla v = \mathbf{0} \implies F(u,v) = 0[/itex]. Therefore, [itex]\nabla u \times \nabla v = \mathbf{0}[/itex] is sufficient for [itex]F(u,v) = 0[/itex].

You will notice we did not directly use the result from 1.a. in our answer to 1.b. I will investigate further and report any connection I discover. Cheers!

FAQ: Showing scalar functions u(x,y,z) and v(x,y,z) are related

1. How can I show that two scalar functions are related?

To show that two scalar functions, u(x,y,z) and v(x,y,z), are related, you can use the method of substitution. This involves substituting one function into the other and simplifying the resulting expression. If the simplified expression yields the same result as the other function, then they are considered related.

2. What is the purpose of showing that scalar functions are related?

Showing that scalar functions are related is important in understanding the relationship between different variables in a given system. It can also help in solving equations and predicting outcomes based on the relationship between the functions.

3. Can I use graphical methods to show the relationship between scalar functions?

Yes, graphical methods can be used to show the relationship between scalar functions. You can plot both functions on the same graph and observe their behavior and any patterns that may indicate a relationship.

4. Are there any other methods besides substitution to show the relationship between scalar functions?

Yes, there are other methods such as using derivatives or integrals to show the relationship between scalar functions. These methods can sometimes provide a more clear and concise way of demonstrating the relationship between the functions.

5. Can scalar functions be related in more than one way?

Yes, scalar functions can be related in multiple ways. It is possible for two functions to be related through substitution, derivatives, and integrals, and each method may reveal different aspects of their relationship. It is important to consider all possible methods when trying to show the relationship between scalar functions.

Back