Showing similarity solution satisfies its ODE

• Thread starter K29
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode
In summary, the author is trying to solve for the velocity by plugging in the similarity solution into the original PDE. However, they are lost and need someone to help them.
K29

Homework Statement

Working with a fluids problem I have derived a pde in [itex]v(y,t)[/itex]. It does not seem to matter but I'll write the PDE I derived, in case:

[itex]\frac{\partial v}{\partial t}=\upsilon \frac{\partial ^2 v}{\partial y^2}[/itex]

Assuming I know that the similarity solution below will work in solving the pde:

[itex]v(y,t)=F(\xi)[/itex] where [itex]\xi = \frac{y}{\sqrt{t}}[/itex]

I need to simply show that [itex]F(\xi)[/itex] satisfies the ODE [itex]\frac{d^2 F}{d \xi^{2} }+\frac{\xi}{2\upsilon }\frac{dF}{d \xi}=0[/itex]

subject to boundary conditions [itex]F(0)=U[/itex]
[itex]F(\infty)=0[/itex]

([itex]\upsilon[/itex] and [itex]U[/itex] are constants related to the original PDE problem & its boundary conditions)

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't quite understand what I am supposed to do here. I tried simply solving the ODE, and I get an answer [itex]F=C\frac{2\upsilon}{x}e^{\frac{-x^2}{4\upsilon}}[/itex]

It was just a quick page of scribbling to see the form of the ODEs solution. It might be slightly wrong, but it does not seem to allow me to show the similarity solution satisfies the ODE.

Please help, with some guidance on what to do. I don't have much experience with similarity solutions, but I have read up on how they are actually derived from PDEs. The above question seems to be simpler than actually deriving it. But I'm a bit lost as to where to start.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you just need to plug u expressed via F into the original PDE and the boundary conditions for u and derive the ODE and the boundary conditions for F.

K29 said:

Homework Statement

Working with a fluids problem I have derived a pde in [itex]v(y,t)[/itex]. It does not seem to matter but I'll write the PDE I derived, in case:

[itex]\frac{\partial v}{\partial t}=\upsilon \frac{\partial ^2 v}{\partial y^2}[/itex]

Assuming I know that the similarity solution below will work in solving the pde:

[itex]v(y,t)=F(\xi)[/itex] where [itex]\xi = \frac{y}{\sqrt{t}}[/itex]

I need to simply show that [itex]F(\xi)[/itex] satisfies the ODE [itex]\frac{d^2 F}{d \xi^{2} }+\frac{\xi}{2\upsilon }\frac{dF}{d \xi}=0[/itex]

subject to boundary conditions [itex]F(0)=U[/itex]
[itex]F(\infty)=0[/itex]

([itex]\upsilon[/itex] and [itex]U[/itex] are constants related to the original PDE problem & its boundary conditions)

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't quite understand what I am supposed to do here. I tried simply solving the ODE, and I get an answer [itex]F=C\frac{2\upsilon}{x}e^{\frac{-x^2}{4\upsilon}}[/itex]

It was just a quick page of scribbling to see the form of the ODEs solution. It might be slightly wrong, but it does not seem to allow me to show the similarity solution satisfies the ODE.

Please help, with some guidance on what to do. I don't have much experience with similarity solutions, but I have read up on how they are actually derived from PDEs. The above question seems to be simpler than actually deriving it. But I'm a bit lost as to where to start.

Thanks.

That coefficient on the right hand side of the differential equation is the kinematic viscosity, not the velocity.

When you apply this methodology, the partial derivative of v with respect to y is the ordinary derivative of F with respect to [itex]\xi[/itex] times the partial derivative of [itex]\xi[/itex] with respect to y. The partial derivative of v with respect to t is the ordinary derivative of F with respect to [itex]\xi[/itex] times the partial derivative of [itex]\xi[/itex] with respect to t. I'm sure you can figure out how to extend this further. The whole problem is worked out in detail in Transport Phenomena by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot.

Thanks for the help

FAQ: Showing similarity solution satisfies its ODE

1. What is a similarity solution?

A similarity solution is a type of solution to a differential equation that can be written in terms of a single variable, known as the similarity variable. This type of solution is useful in simplifying and solving complex differential equations.

2. How do you know if a similarity solution satisfies its ODE?

A similarity solution satisfies its ODE if it can be substituted into the differential equation and results in a true statement. This means that the solution satisfies all of the conditions and constraints set by the original differential equation.

3. What are the benefits of using a similarity solution to solve an ODE?

Using a similarity solution can greatly simplify the process of solving a differential equation. It allows for the reduction of the number of variables, making the equation easier to manipulate and solve. It can also reveal patterns and relationships that may not be immediately apparent in the original equation.

4. Can a similarity solution be used for any type of ODE?

No, a similarity solution can only be used for certain types of ODEs, specifically those that exhibit certain symmetries. These include equations that are invariant under scaling, translation, or rotation.

5. Are there any limitations to using a similarity solution?

Yes, there are limitations to using a similarity solution. It can only be used for certain types of ODEs, as mentioned before, and it may not always provide the most accurate or complete solution. In some cases, it may only provide an approximation of the actual solution.