Showing that a limit does not exist

• Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of proving that the limit of a function does not exist for any value of a. The approach suggested is to use contradiction and assume that the limit exists, but it is shown that this leads to a contradiction. The proof uses the density of rational and irrational numbers to show that the limit cannot be 0 or 1, which are the only possible values. It is also suggested to use the negation of the epsilon-delta definition for practice, or to use sequences of rationals and irrationals approaching each other to show that the limit does not exist. The conversation also briefly mentions the fact that between any two rationals or irrationals, there is always another number of the opposite type.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Let ##f(x) = 0## if ##x## is rational and ##=1## of ##x## is irrational. Prove that ##\lim_{x\to a} f(x)## does not exist for any ##a##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I need help setting this one up. I was thinking that maybe I can argue by contradiction and suppose that there exists an ##a\in \mathbb{R}## such that ##\lim_{x\to a} f(x) = L## for some ##L##. I don't know what the contradiction would then be though.

EDIT: Can I assume that ##L## is either 1 or 0? If so I think I know how to proceed.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

Let ##f(x) = 0## if ##x## is rational and ##=1## of ##x## is irrational. Prove that ##\lim_{x\to a} f(x)## does not exist for any ##a##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I need help setting this one up. I was thinking that maybe I can argue by contradiction and suppose that there exists an ##a\in \mathbb{R}## such that ##\lim_{x\to a} f(x) = L## for some ##L##. I don't know what the contradiction would then be though.

EDIT: Can I assume that ##L## is either 1 or 0? If so I think I know how to proceed.
Yes. ##|f(x)-L|\in \{\,|1-L|\, , \,|L|\,\}## which can only get arbitrary small, if ##L \in \{\,0\, , \,1\,\}## for otherwise there will be a constant gap.

Likes Mr Davis 97
fresh_42 said:
Yes. ##|f(x)-L|\in \{\,|1-L|\, , \,|L|\,\}## which can only get arbitrary small, if ##L \in \{\,0\, , \,1\,\}## for otherwise there will be a constant gap.
So would an argument go like this?

Let ##a\in\mathbb{R}##.
The only two possible values for a limit of ##\lim_{x\to a}f(x)## are ##0,1##, since otherwise there will always be a constant gap and hence ##f## would not get arbitrarily small.

However, ##\lim_{x\to a}f(x) \not = 1## for the following reason: Set ##\epsilon = 1/2## and let ##\delta > 0##. Then there exists a rational number ##x_0## in ##0<|x_0-a|<\delta## by the density of the rationals. However, ##|f(x_0)-1| = |0-1| = 1 \not < 1/2 ##, and so ##\lim_{x\to a}f(x) \not = 1##.

Also, ##\lim_{x\to a}f(x) \not = 0## for the following reason: Set ##\epsilon = 1/2## and let ##\delta > 0##. Then there exists a irrational number ##x_0## in ##0<|x_0-a|<\delta## by the density of the irrationals. However, ##|f(x_0)-0| = |1-0| = 1 \not < 1/2 ##, and so ##\lim_{x\to a}f(x) \not = 0##.

I am not sure what it's called, but I think there is a theorem stating something like between any 2 rational numbers, there is an uncountable infinite amount of irrational numbers. The uncountable may be the key.

Density is a good key. For any ##\delta > 0## you can always find a rational number ##r## and an irrational number ##j## such that ##|r-j| < \delta##. If the limit exists, then ##x \longmapsto f(x)## is continuous at ##a##. Now prove that it is not continuous by the ##\varepsilon-\delta## definition.

fresh_42 said:
Density is a good key. For any ##\delta > 0## you can always find a rational number ##r## and an irrational number ##j## such that ##|r-j| < \delta##. If the limit exists, then ##x \longmapsto f(x)## is continuous at ##a##. Now prove that it is not continuous by the ##\varepsilon-\delta## definition.
So does my proof work or not? If not then why not?

Your wording of what I had written is a bit strange. The principle is o.k., but I think you will have to start with the distinction of ##a## being rational or not, simply because in what you have written, you cannot rule out ##a=x_0## and with it ##f(x_0)=f(a)\,.## I still find you should work with the negation of the ##\varepsilon-\delta## definition for practicing.

Easier: use sequences of rationals/irrationals approaching irrationals/rationals together with the sequential characterisation of limits.

scottdave said:
I am not sure what it's called, but I think there is a theorem stating something like between any 2 rational numbers, there is an uncountable infinite amount of irrational numbers. The uncountable may be the key.

What I have always found mysterious is the fact that between any two rationals there is an irrational and between any two irrationals there is a rational. Nevertheless, there are a lot more irrationals than rationals!

Likes scottdave

Related to Showing that a limit does not exist

1. How do you prove that a limit does not exist?

In order to prove that a limit does not exist, you must show that the limit from the left and the limit from the right are not equal, or that they approach different values. This can be done through various methods such as using the epsilon-delta definition or evaluating the limit from different directions.

2. Can a limit not exist at a specific point?

Yes, a limit can fail to exist at a specific point if it approaches different values from different directions. This is known as a jump discontinuity and can be seen in functions such as the absolute value function.

3. What is an example of a function with a limit that does not exist?

The classic example of a function with a limit that does not exist is the function f(x) = 1/x. As x approaches 0, the values of the function from the left and the right approach different values (positive infinity and negative infinity), thus the limit does not exist at x=0.

4. Can a limit not exist at infinity?

Yes, a limit can fail to exist at infinity if the function approaches different values as x approaches positive or negative infinity. This is known as an infinite discontinuity and can be seen in functions such as f(x) = 1/x.

5. How can you use a graph to show that a limit does not exist?

A graph can be used to show that a limit does not exist by looking at the behavior of the function as it approaches the point in question. If the graph has a gap or a jump, then the limit does not exist. Additionally, if the graph has oscillations or approaches different values from different directions, the limit also does not exist.