Showing that a particular G_delta set exists with a measure property

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a set E that is assumed to be bounded. The speakers consider the possibility of E being covered by a countable collection of open, bounded intervals, but conclude that this set is not countable. They suggest using the assumption of E being bounded to gain control over the covers and potentially prove that their intersection is a G_\delta set. The conversation also mentions the need to manipulate the covers to obtain the correct measure.
jdinatale
png_zps63374024.png

Ok, I don't think I'm on the right track here. I ASSUMED that the set of all countable collections [itex]\{I_k\}_{k = 1}^\infty[/itex] of nonempty open, bounded intervals such that [itex]E \subseteq \bigcup_{k = 1}^\infty I_k[/itex] is a countable set itself, which it probably isn't.

I'm not even sure where to start on this problem. I feel like I need to use the assumption that E is bounded. I know if E is bounded, then E can be covered by a finite number of nonempty open, bounded intervals.

Physics news on Phys.org
jdinatale said:
png_zps63374024.png

Ok, I don't think I'm on the right track here. I ASSUMED that the set of all countable collections [itex]\{I_k\}_{k = 1}^\infty[/itex] of nonempty open, bounded intervals such that [itex]E \subseteq \bigcup_{k = 1}^\infty I_k[/itex] is a countable set itself, which it probably isn't.

It's not. If you had a countable family of covers of this type, could you show that their intersection was a [itex]G_\delta[/itex] set? Presumably that's the direction that you were going with this part of the argument. Then you'd at least have a [itex]G_\delta[/itex] cover, and all that is left is to rig it so that it has the correct measure.

I'm not even sure where to start on this problem. I feel like I need to use the assumption that E is bounded. I know if E is bounded, then E can be covered by a finite number of nonempty open, bounded intervals.

You have a decent start. You just don't have any control (measure-wise) over your covers. You need to use the assumption that [itex]E[/itex] is bounded to get that control. If [itex]E[/itex] is bounded, what can you say about its outer measure?

Related to Showing that a particular G_delta set exists with a measure property

What is a G_delta set?

A G_delta set is a set in a topological space that can be expressed as an intersection of countably many open sets.

What is a measure property?

A measure property is a property that describes the size or extent of a set in a mathematical space. It is often used to quantify the concept of "size" or "volume" of a set.

How can we show that a particular G_delta set exists with a measure property?

This can be done by constructing the G_delta set as an intersection of countably many open sets, and then showing that it satisfies the desired measure property using mathematical techniques such as measure theory or topology.

What is the importance of proving the existence of a G_delta set with a measure property?

Proving the existence of such a set can have important implications in various fields of mathematics, such as analysis, topology, and measure theory. It can also help us better understand the structure and properties of mathematical spaces.

Are there any practical applications of G_delta sets with measure properties?

Yes, G_delta sets with measure properties have practical applications in fields such as probability theory, physics, and engineering. They can also be used in the construction of fractals and other mathematical objects.