Showing that if f(a)=g(a) then f'(a)=g'(a)

• Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of the statement that if two functions are differentiable and equal at a point, and one is always less than or equal to the other, then their derivatives at that point are also equal. However, this proof is not valid as the derivative is a local statement and does not necessarily hold for a single point. The general conditions for this statement to be true are that the two functions must coincide in a small neighborhood of the point.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Show that if ##a\in D##, ##f,g : D\to \mathbb{R}## are both differentiable and ##x=a##, ##f(a)=g(a)##, and ##f(x)\le g(x)## for all ##x\in D##, then ##f'(a)=g'(a)##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a proof for this problem already, but I have a naive question. If the two functions are differentiable at ##a## and ##f(a)=g(a)##, why can't we just take the derivative of both sides to show that ##f'(a)=g'(a)##

Physics news on Phys.org
Try ##f(x) = x## and ##g(x) = x^2## at ##a = 0## or ##a = 1##.

Likes Mr Davis 97
DrClaude said:
Try ##f(x) = x## and ##g(x) = x^2## at ##a = 0## or ##a = 1##.
I see. What at the general conditions that would allow this to be true?

Maybe you are confused by the fact that
$$
f(x) = g(x) \quad \forall x
$$
implies that
$$
f'(x) = g'(x)
$$
but that doesn't mean that ##f(a) = g(a)## implies ##f'(a) = g'(a)##. If you come back to the definition of the derivative,
$$
f'(x) = \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(x+h) - f(x)}{h}
$$
you see that it is "non-local," it depends on the the value of ##f## at different points. That it why an equality at a single point, ##f(a) = g(a)##, doesn't mean that the derivatives will be the same at that point.

Mr Davis 97 said:
I have a proof for this problem already, but I have a naive question. If the two functions are differentiable at ##a## and ##f(a)=g(a)##, why can't we just take the derivative of both sides to show that ##f'(a)=g'(a)##
What you get wrong here is, that the derivative is a local statement: a property about the behavior in a small neighborhood of a point, here ##x=a##, whereas ##f(a)=g(a)## is only a statement about a single location.
Mr Davis 97 said:
I see. What at the general conditions that would allow this to be true?
That ##f(x)## and ##g(x)## coincide at least in a small neighborhood of ##x=a##.

@Mr Davis 97 Since your "theorem" is false I'm wondering where you got it. If it is from some text, please check what the exact statement in the text is. If it's a conjecture you made up, better luck next time. The conjecture reminds me of the theorem that if ##f(a)=g(a)## and ##f'(x)<g'(x)## for ##x>a##, then ##f(x) < g(x)## for all ##x>a##. Are you trying to come up with some sort of "converse" of that?

LCKurtz said:
@Mr Davis 97 Since your "theorem" is false I'm wondering where you got it. If it is from some text, please check what the exact statement in the text is. If it's a conjecture you made up, better luck next time. The conjecture reminds me of the theorem that if ##f(a)=g(a)## and ##f'(x)<g'(x)## for ##x>a##, then ##f(x) < g(x)## for all ##x>a##. Are you trying to come up with some sort of "converse" of that?

I think it's ok. Can you give a counterexample? I'm assuming ##D## contains an open set around ##a##, though it wasn't explicitly stated.

Dick said:
I think it's ok. Can you give a counterexample? I'm assuming ##D## contains an open set around ##a##, though it wasn't explicitly stated.
I agree, it looks right, and this open neighborhood is essential. It follows from differentiability, i.e. two equal limits.

Me, too, first thought that @DrClaude 's example had been meant as a counterexample, but it isn't, given the restrictions differentiability invokes.

I agree given the open interval thing. I was thinking of ##[a,\infty)## with right hand derivative at ##a## existing.

D is , in my experience, a Domain, aka, open, connected set. When you subtract the two derivatives you end up with ## Lim _{ h \rightarrow 0} \frac {f(a+h)-g(a+h)}{h}.## Since both are equal at a and continuous there, they are "equal" ( indefinitely close to each other) in a 'hood of a. You have the zero function (f(a)-g(a) ) and a small 'hood of it.

FAQ: Showing that if f(a)=g(a) then f'(a)=g'(a)

What is the meaning of "f(a)" and "g(a)" in this statement?

In this statement, "f(a)" and "g(a)" refer to the values of the functions f and g at the point a, respectively. This means that we are evaluating the functions at a specific input value, rather than considering the functions as a whole.

What does it mean for two functions to be equal?

Two functions are considered equal if they have the same output for every input. In other words, their graphs are identical and they have the same domain and range.

What is the significance of the statement "f'(a)=g'(a)"?

This statement means that the derivatives of the functions f and g at the point a are equal. The derivative of a function represents its instantaneous rate of change at a specific point, so this statement is saying that the rates of change of f and g are equal at the point a.

Can this statement be proven for all functions?

No, this statement is not true for all functions. It only holds true for differentiable functions, which means that they have a derivative at every point in their domain.

What is the process for showing that this statement is true for specific functions?

The process for proving this statement for specific functions involves using the definition of the derivative and applying algebraic manipulations. This typically involves taking the limit of the difference quotient and simplifying until it is equivalent to the derivative of the function. It may also involve using other known derivative rules and identities.

Back