Showing that if lim a^2 = 0 implies lim a = 0

• Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
In summary: Nice profile picture. What/who exactly are these people? :)In summary, the equation ##a_n^2 = 0## converges to a limit as ##n\to\infty##.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Suppose that ##a_n## is a sequence such that ##\sum_{n=1}^\infty a_n^2## converges. Show that ##\lim_{n\to\infty}a_n = 0##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My idea was this. Since ##a_n^2## converges, we have that ##\lim_{n\to\infty}a_n^2 = 0##. I want to claim that ##\lim_{n\to\infty}a_n^2 = (\lim_{n\to\infty}a_n)^2 = 0##, but is this justified? Don't I have to know that ##a_n## does in fact converge before I can use the algebra of limits?

Physics news on Phys.org
You cannot reason that way: For ##a_n=(-1)^n## we have ##\lim a_n^2=1## whereas ##\lim a_n## does not exist. So at least more care is needed.

fresh_42 said:
You cannot reason that way: For ##a_n=(-1)^n## we have ##\lim a_n^2=1## whereas ##\lim a_n## does not exist. So at least more care is needed.
I think I can show it using an epsilon-delta proof:

Let ##\epsilon > 0##. There exists ##N## such that ##n\ge N## implies that ##|a_n^2| < \epsilon^2##. So ##|a_n| < \epsilon##, by taking the square root of both sides. Is this correct? Is this the best way to show this?

Mr Davis 97 said:
I think I can show it using an epsilon-delta proof:

Let ##\epsilon > 0##. There exists ##N## such that ##n\ge N## implies that ##|a_n^2| < \epsilon^2##. So ##|a_n| < \epsilon##, by taking the square root of both sides. Is this correct? Is this the best way to show this?
Yes.

You implicitly used ##\sum |b_n| < \infty \Longrightarrow \lim |b_n|=0\,##, so I'm not sure if you have this or still need to show it.

fresh_42 said:

Nice profile picture. What/who exactly are these people? :)

Easy solution: ##a_n^2 \to 0 \implies |a_n| \to 0 \implies a_n \to 0##

where I used that square root is continuous.

Likes Mr Davis 97

Related to Showing that if lim a^2 = 0 implies lim a = 0

1. How can we show that if the limit of a squared sequence is equal to zero, the limit of the original sequence must also be zero?

To prove this, we can use the fact that for any real number a, a^2 ≥ 0. Therefore, if lim a^2 = 0, it means that the terms of the sequence a^2 are getting closer and closer to 0. Since a^2 ≥ 0, the terms of the original sequence a must also be getting closer to 0, proving that lim a = 0.

2. Is it possible for the limit of a squared sequence to be equal to zero, but the limit of the original sequence to be non-zero?

No, it is not possible. As mentioned in the previous answer, for any real number a, a^2 ≥ 0. This means that if lim a^2 = 0, the terms of the sequence a^2 must be getting closer and closer to 0. Since a^2 ≥ 0, the terms of the original sequence a must also be getting closer to 0, and therefore the limit of a must also be equal to 0.

3. Can we use the same logic to prove that if lim a^3 = 0, then lim a = 0?

Yes, the same logic can be applied. For any real number a, a^3 ≥ 0. Therefore, if lim a^3 = 0, the terms of the sequence a^3 are getting closer and closer to 0. And since a^3 ≥ 0, the terms of the original sequence a must also be getting closer to 0, proving that lim a = 0.

4. What if the limit of a squared sequence is not equal to zero, does it mean that the limit of the original sequence is also not equal to zero?

Not necessarily. It is possible for the limit of a squared sequence to be non-zero, but the limit of the original sequence to be equal to zero. This is because squaring a negative number will result in a positive number, so even if the terms of the original sequence are negative, the terms of the squared sequence can still be getting closer to 0.

5. Can this concept be applied to other powers besides squared and cubed?

Yes, this concept can be applied to any power. For example, if lim a^4 = 0, then lim a = 0. This is because for any real number a, a^4 ≥ 0, so if lim a^4 = 0, the terms of the sequence a^4 must be getting closer and closer to 0, and therefore the terms of the original sequence a must also be getting closer to 0, proving that lim a = 0.