Showing that the Schrödinger equation implies the de Broglie relation when PE=0

In summary, the conversation is about the justification of the Schrödinger equation in the book "Physical Chemistry" by Atkins and de Paula. The authors derive the equation and show that it implies the de Broglie relation for a freely moving particle. They then present a solution to the simplified equation without showing the derivation. The solution is \psi=sin(kx) with k=\frac{(2mE)^{2}}{\hbar}. The person asking for help wants to understand the derivation of this solution and is directed to a resource for assistance.
qLinusq
Hello,

In the book physical chemistry (P. Atkins & Julio de Paula, 2009, 5 ED) the authors derive a justification of the Schrödinger equation.

1.) [tex]\frac{-\hbar^{2}}{2m} \frac{d^{2}\psi}{dx^{2}}+V(x)\psi=E \psi[/tex]

The derivation goes as follows:

Derivation:
We can justify the form of the Schrödinger equation to a certain extent by showing that it implies the de Broglie relation for a freely moving particle.
By free motion we mean motion in a region where the potential energy is zero (V=0 everywhere).

If V=0, equation 1 simplifies to:

2.) [tex]\frac{-\hbar^{2}}{2m} \frac{d^{2}\psi}{dx^{2}}=E \psi[/tex]

So far all good, however they then present a solution to equation 2. without showing how they obtained it.

The solution is:

[tex]\psi=sin(kx)[/tex]
[tex]k=\frac{(2mE)^{2}}{\hbar}[/tex]

I have no problem understanding that this is a valid solution however i would like to derive it myself.

Could you provide me with the derivation to the solution of equation 2?

/Thanks in advance,

Linus.

Physics news on Phys.org
qLinusq said:

I think you can find it here:

http://www.cliffsnotes.com/study_guide/Constant-Coefficients.topicArticleId-19736,articleId-19720.html

Last edited by a moderator:
qLinusq said:
i would like to derive it myself.

:confused: :smile:

Lol, yes I can see how what I wrote is contradicting. That is the kind of help that I was looking for actually.

/Thank you torquil :)

Related to Showing that the Schrödinger equation implies the de Broglie relation when PE=0

What is the Schrödinger equation?

The Schrödinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the time evolution of a quantum system. It is a differential equation that takes into account the wave-like nature of particles and is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a particular state at a given time.

What is the de Broglie relation?

The de Broglie relation, also known as the de Broglie wavelength, is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that relates the momentum of a particle to its wavelength. It states that all particles, including matter, have a wavelength associated with them and that this wavelength is inversely proportional to their momentum.

How does the Schrödinger equation imply the de Broglie relation?

When the potential energy (PE) of a system is equal to 0, the Schrödinger equation simplifies to the time-independent form, known as the stationary-state Schrödinger equation. When this equation is solved for a particle with no potential energy, it results in a wavefunction that is proportional to the de Broglie wavelength of the particle.

Why is it important to show that the Schrödinger equation implies the de Broglie relation?

By demonstrating the relationship between the Schrödinger equation and the de Broglie relation, we can better understand the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics. This can lead to new insights and advancements in the field, as well as a deeper understanding of the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

What are some real-world applications of the Schrödinger equation and the de Broglie relation?

The Schrödinger equation and the de Broglie relation have many practical applications, including the development of transistors, lasers, and other electronic devices. They are also used in the study of materials, such as semiconductors, and in the development of new technologies, such as quantum computing. Additionally, they are essential in understanding the behavior of particles in particle accelerators and in the creation of new materials and drugs through quantum chemistry.