Showing this Euler's equation with a homogeneous function via the chain rule

In summary: C^1 function.In summary, the author is trying to solve an equation for a function which satisfies an Euler equation. They are having trouble differentiation with regards to t and need help from someone who understands the chain rule. Once they differentiate with regards to t and t^k, they are able to find the function and that it is a C^1 function.
lo2

Homework Statement

Ok I have this general homogeneous function, which is a [itex]C^1[/itex] function:

[itex]f(tx,ty)=t^k f(x,y)[/itex]

And then I have to show that this function satisfies this Euler equation:

[itex]x\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}(x,y)+y\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}(x,y)=k\cdot f(x,y)[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so I have tried to take the derivative, and I get:

[itex]x(1\cdot t+1\cdot 0) + y(1\cdot 0+1\cdot t)=xt+yt[/itex]

But that does not really do the trick, so am I on the right way? And if so what more should I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Differentiate f(tx, ty) with respect to t

clamtrox said:
Differentiate f(tx, ty) with respect to t

But I have this equation:

[itex]x\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}(x,y)+y\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}(x,y)=k\cdot f(x,y)[/itex]

Where I have to differentiate first with regards to x and then y. So am I not sure I can see how I should just differentiate with regards to t.

lo2 said:
But I have this equation:

Where I have to differentiate first with regards to x and then y. So am I not sure I can see how I should just differentiate with regards to t.

It's a straightforward application of the chain rule... ∂f(tx,ty)/∂t = ∂f(tx,ty)/∂(tx) ∂(tx)/∂t + ∂f(tx,ty)/∂(ty) ∂(ty)/∂t ...

After you got that, then differentiate the other side, tk f(x,y) and then consider what happens when t→1.

clamtrox said:
It's a straightforward application of the chain rule... ∂f(tx,ty)/∂t = ∂f(tx,ty)/∂(tx) ∂(tx)/∂t + ∂f(tx,ty)/∂(ty) ∂(ty)/∂t ...

After you got that, then differentiate the other side, tk f(x,y) and then consider what happens when t→1.

Ok so I get this when I differentiate [itex]f(xt,yt)[/itex]:

[itex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial t}(xt,yt) = 1\cdot x + 1\cdot y = x + y[/itex]

But I am not sure how to differentiate:

[itex]t^k f(x,y)[/itex]

Shall I once again differentiate with regards to t?

lo2 said:
Ok so I get this when I differentiate [itex]f(xt,yt)[/itex]:

[itex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial t}(xt,yt) = 1\cdot x + 1\cdot y = x + y[/itex]

That is not right. Can you understand the formula in my previous post? That tells you how it goes.

lo2 said:
But I am not sure how to differentiate:

[itex]t^k f(x,y)[/itex]

Shall I once again differentiate with regards to t?

Yes... The point is to keep the equality
f(tx, ty) = tk f(x,y), therefore
∂f(tx, ty)/ ∂t = ∂/∂t (tk f(x,y))

clamtrox said:
That is not right. Can you understand the formula in my previous post? That tells you how it goes.

Well I guess not, I am not sure what this differentiates up to be:

[itex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial tx}(tx,ty)[/itex]

The other one I think I got correct?

[itex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial t}(tx) = x[/itex]

I do not want to seem rude.

But might someone else perhaps chip in with a little bit of help?

Would be most appreciated! :)

lo2 said:
Well I guess not, I am not sure what this differentiates up to be:

[itex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial tx}(tx,ty)[/itex]

Yeah I guess that looks a little tricky. If you want, you can also write it as [itex]\frac{\partial f(a,b)}{\partial a}[/itex] evaluated at a=tx.

clamtrox said:
Yeah I guess that looks a little tricky. If you want, you can also write it as [itex]\frac{\partial f(a,b)}{\partial a}[/itex] evaluated at a=tx.

Well I must admit that I am still not sure how to compute that.

As you do not know what the function is, and thereby I find it hard differentiate...

Ok I think I have got something:

If we first differentiate

[itex]f(tx,ty)[/itex]

We get:

[itex]x\frac{\partial f}{\partial xt}(xt,yt)+y\frac{\partial f}{\partial yt}(xt,yt)[/itex]

And since this has to be equal to

[itex]k\cdot f(x,y)[/itex]

We have that

[itex]t^k[/itex]

Can only be a constant when [itex]t=1[/itex], so if we do that we get:

[itex]\frac{df}{dt}=x\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}(x,y)+y\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}(x,y)=1^k f(x,y)=k\cdot f(x,y)[/itex]

Ok well I kind of have to go soon, so if you would please have a short glance at my suggested solution, I would be more than happy!

I couldn't quite follow that last post. Are we sure you are not assuming there what you have to prove?

I may have a mental blockage; am not sure that you can or are meant to prove 2 from 1.

The only 'homogeneous functions' I know are homogeneous polynomials which are things of form

f(x, y) = Ʃ arxryk-r (r from 0 to k)

Get the two derivatives of that and you'll see it's easy.

Last edited:
epenguin said:
I couldn't quite follow that last post. Are we sure you are not assuming there what you have to prove?

I may have a mental blockage; am not sure that you can or are meant to prove 2 from 1.

The only 'homogeneous functions' I know are homogeneous polynomials which are things of form

f(x, y) = Ʃ arxryk-r (r from 0 to k)

Get the two derivatives of that and you'll see it's easy.

Ok well I am not exactly sure what you mean here, but if you are asking what it is I need to show then it is:

I have this general homogeneous function, which is a [itex]C^1[/itex] function:

[itex]f(tx,ty)=t^k f(x,y)[/itex]

And then I have to show that this function satisfies this Euler equation:

lo2 said:
We get:

[itex]x\frac{\partial f}{\partial xt}(xt,yt)+y\frac{\partial f}{\partial yt}(xt,yt)[/itex]
Good!

lo2 said:
And since this has to be equal to

[itex]k\cdot f(x,y)[/itex]

No! :) It has to be equal to k tk-1 f(x,y). This has to hold for any value of t, and in particular for t=1, which is the case you're interested in.

Ah yeah ok, thanks a lot for the help! :)

Related to Showing this Euler's equation with a homogeneous function via the chain rule

1. What is Euler's equation?

Euler's equation, also known as the Euler-Lagrange equation, is a fundamental equation in calculus of variations. It is used to find the function that minimizes or maximizes a given functional.

2. What is a homogeneous function?

A homogeneous function is a function where all its variables have the same degree. In other words, if all the variables in a function are multiplied by a constant, the result will also be multiplied by the same constant.

3. How is the chain rule used in showing Euler's equation with a homogeneous function?

The chain rule is used to derive Euler's equation from a given homogeneous function. This involves taking the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each of its variables and using the chain rule to simplify the resulting expression.

4. Why is Euler's equation important?

Euler's equation has many important applications in physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to solve optimization problems and to find the critical points of a function. It also has connections to the principle of least action in classical mechanics.

5. Are there any limitations to using Euler's equation with a homogeneous function?

While Euler's equation is a powerful tool, it can only be used with homogeneous functions. This means that not all optimization problems can be solved using this method. Additionally, higher-order derivatives may be needed in more complex problems, making the process more complicated.