Sideband Power for a multiple tone wave

In summary, to find the sideband power in an AM DSB with a modulating signal that has two tones, you can use the equation Ps=0.5*(mean square value)^2 for each tone and then add the results together due to the linearity of amplitude modulation systems. This follows the superposition theorem.
marina87

Homework Statement

I need to find the sideband power in a AM DSB. My book doesn't have an example or explain what to do when you have a modulating signal that has two tones (two cosines).

Homework Equations

Ps=sideband power= 0.5*(mean square value)^2

Carrier signal = A*cos(Wc*t)

m(t)=(4/pi)*[cos(2*pi*f0*t)-(1/3)*cos(2*pi*3*f0*t)]

The Attempt at a Solution

I only know how to do it for one tone using the equation 0.5*0.5*(μ*A)^2. Where A is the amplitude of the carrier and μ is the index modulation. What should I do? Should I look for the meansquare of each tone and add them?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You must know that amplitude modulation systems are linear in nature. By being linear they follow superposition theorem, which states that the output response of the system due to the sum of inputs is equal to the sum of the output responses of each input to the system.

So calculate the responses individually and add them.

Related to Sideband Power for a multiple tone wave

What is sideband power for a multiple tone wave?

Sideband power for a multiple tone wave refers to the amount of power contained in the sidebands of a complex wave that is composed of multiple tones or frequencies.

How is sideband power calculated?

Sideband power is calculated by squaring the amplitude of each sideband and adding them together. This can be represented mathematically as P_sideband = A1^2 + A2^2 + ... + An^2, where A represents the amplitude of each sideband and n represents the total number of sidebands.

What is the significance of sideband power in a multiple tone wave?

Sideband power is important because it represents the amount of energy in the sidebands, which can affect the overall quality and integrity of the signal. Higher sideband power can lead to more distortion and interference in the signal.

How does sideband power relate to signal bandwidth?

In general, higher sideband power corresponds to a wider signal bandwidth. This is because more energy is contained in the sidebands, which can contribute to a broader frequency spectrum.

How can sideband power be controlled or minimized?

Sideband power can be controlled or minimized by using techniques such as filtering, modulation, and equalization. These methods can help to reduce the amplitude of the sidebands and improve the overall signal quality.