Sign convention in geometric optics.

In summary, the conversation discusses different sign conventions used in geometric optics for object distance, image distance, and radius of curvature. While some textbooks follow a convention where distances to the left of the lens are negative and distances to the right are positive, others use a convention where all distances are positive. There is no universal sign convention for geometric optics, but there is an ISO-Norm used by technicians. However, this is not commonly implemented in physics education.
PrakashPhy
Until today I learned in geometric optics that
  1. Object distance +ve for real object else -ve
  2. Image distance +ve for real image else -ve
  3. Radius of curvature +ve for if light comes to the surcace from the side lying center of curvature else -ve

On the basis of this the lens formula would be
1/u + 1/v = 1/f [u=obj distance v= image distance f= focal length]

But recently, the new textbook i follow writes that. "All distances towards the left of the lens are taken -ve and all other to the right are positive"

For a convex lens if the object is beyond 2f at a finite distance the new sign convention would give 1/v - 1/u = 1/f ;

I know it will not cause problem if i stick to one convention only but i wish to follow universal convention. So i would like to know if there is anything like "Universal sign convention" for geometric optics

Science news on Phys.org
No there isn't. :-(
In fact every textbook still may use its own definition. On the other hand that's not so bad, because it forces students to really think about the problems and not only learn formulae by heart.
Actually there is a ISO-Norm for geometric optics which is mostly used by technicians but this is not implemented in physics education.

Thank you for your reply tommw

Related to Sign convention in geometric optics.

What is the sign convention in geometric optics?

The sign convention in geometric optics is a set of rules that govern the direction and sign of distances and angles in optical systems. It is used to determine the position and nature of images formed by lenses and mirrors.

Why is the sign convention important in geometric optics?

The sign convention is important because it helps us to determine the location and type of images formed by optical systems. It also allows us to calculate the magnification of an image and predict how it will be affected by changes in the placement of objects and lenses.

What are the key components of the sign convention?

The key components of the sign convention are the object distance (u), image distance (v), focal length (f), and the magnification (m). These values can be positive or negative, depending on their direction and position in relation to the optical system.

How do positive and negative values in the sign convention differ?

Positive values in the sign convention indicate that the distance or angle is measured in the same direction as the incident light, while negative values indicate that it is measured in the opposite direction. For example, a positive object distance would be in front of the lens, while a negative object distance would be behind the lens.

How can I apply the sign convention to solve problems in geometric optics?

To apply the sign convention, you need to understand the basic principles and equations of geometric optics. You can then use the sign convention to determine the values of u, v, f, and m, and use these values to solve problems related to image formation, magnification, and focal length.