Signature of a even/odd transposition

• Thread starter Matherer
  • Start date
In summary, the formula for finding the sgn of a transposition is incorrect and should be replaced with the formula \mathop{\mathrm{sgn}} \sigma = \prod_{1 \leq i < j \leq n} \frac{\sigma(j) - \sigma(i)}{|\sigma(j) - \sigma(i)|}. Using this formula, the sgn of the given transposition is -1.
Matherer

Homework Statement

(1 2 3 4 5 6 7)
(1 2 5 4 3 6 7)

is s, a permuation.
Find sgn(s).

Homework Equations

The sgn of a transposition is -1.

Sgn(s)=Product of [sgn(j)-sgn(i)]/(j-i) when 1<=i<j<=n

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the sgn(s) using the formula and got 1. But shouldn't it actually be -1, since s is a transposition? If not, why is it not a transposition when only two elements are swapped and the rest are stationary?

Physics news on Phys.org
Matherer said:
Sgn(s)=Product of [sgn(j)-sgn(i)]/(j-i) when 1<=i<j<=n

This formula is wrong; actually it's nonsense, since whenever [tex]1 \leq i < j \leq n[/tex], [tex]\mathop{\mathrm{sgn}} i = \mathop{\mathrm{sgn}} j = 1[/tex] so [tex]\frac{\mathop{\mathrm{sgn}} j - \mathop{\mathrm{sgn}} i}{j - i} = 0[/tex].

The formula you're thinking of is [tex]\mathop{\mathrm{sgn}} \sigma = \prod_{1 \leq i < j \leq n} \mathop{\mathrm{sgn}}(\sigma(j) - \sigma(i)) = \prod_{1 \leq i < j \leq n} \frac{\sigma(j) - \sigma(i)}{|\sigma(j) - \sigma(i)|}[/tex]. This is the product of [tex]-1[/tex] once for every inversion of [tex]\sigma[/tex], where an inversion of [tex]\sigma[/tex] is a pair [tex](i, j)[/tex] where [tex]i < j[/tex] but [tex]\sigma(i) > \sigma(j)[/tex].

If you use the correct formula, you will reach the correct result [tex]-1[/tex].

FAQ: Signature of a even/odd transposition

1. What is the signature of an even transposition?

The signature of an even transposition is always positive (+1). Even transpositions involve swapping two elements at an even distance from each other in a sequence, resulting in no net change in the order of the elements. Therefore, the signature remains positive.

2. What is the signature of an odd transposition?

The signature of an odd transposition is always negative (-1). Odd transpositions involve swapping two elements at an odd distance from each other in a sequence, resulting in a net reversal of the order of the elements. Therefore, the signature becomes negative.

3. How is the signature of a permutation calculated?

The signature of a permutation is calculated by multiplying the signatures of all the individual transpositions involved in the permutation. For example, if a permutation involves two even transpositions and one odd transposition, the signature would be (-1) * (+1) * (+1) = -1.

4. What is the significance of the signature in mathematics?

The signature of a permutation is important in various mathematical applications, such as in group theory and linear algebra. It helps determine the parity (even or odd) of a permutation, which has implications in areas such as cryptography and number theory.

5. Can the signature of a permutation be changed without altering the permutation itself?

No, the signature of a permutation cannot be changed without altering the permutation itself. Any change in the order or number of transpositions in a permutation will also affect its signature. This is because the signature is a fundamental property of a permutation and is determined by its structure.

Back