Significant Figures: Questions & Answers

• Thread starter MIA6
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Figure
In summary, the conversation covers significant figures in numbers, the meaning of "size" in physics, and the time it takes to play a CD in seconds. There is confusion over the use of significant figures and the term "size" not being specific in physics. The answer to the time question is 3.6 kiloseconds, which is equivalent to 1 hour or 3600 seconds.
MIA6
1. I read on my physics book that "zeros located at the end of a number are not significant if they are not followed by a decimal point." it also gave an example: 3000 K, in this case, there is only 1 significant figure. However, the number 93,000,000 m, on my book it says only the first five digits are significant. But i think there are only 2 significant figures according to the previous definition? I was confused.
2. What does 'size' mean in Physics? means the surface area?
3. The time it takes to play a CD in your stereo. My teacher said the answer was 3.6 kilosecond. but i didn't get it.

Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
1. there's only 2 sig figs
2. lots of things
3. 60s X 60min = 1 hour = 3600 seconds

how old are you?

MIA6 said:
1. I read on my physics book that "zeros located at the end of a number are not significant if they are not followed by a decimal point." it also gave an example: 3000 K, in this case, there is only 1 significant figure. However, the number 93,000,000 m, on my book it says only the first five digits are significant. But i think there are only 2 significant figures according to the previous definition? I was confused.
That's certainly not consistent usage. If five significant figures are meant, it should be written as: 9.3000*10^7 or 93.000*10^6, etc.
2. What does 'size' mean in Physics? means the surface area?
"Size" is not a specific physics term. It could mean all sorts of things, depending on context.
3. The time it takes to play a CD in your stereo. My teacher said the answer was 3.6 kilosecond. but i didn't get it.
The prefix "kilo" means 1000. Figure out how many minutes that is.

3.6 kiloseconds? That's a short CD by my standards! :rolleyes:

I get it now, thanks.

FAQ: Significant Figures: Questions & Answers

1. What are significant figures?

Significant figures are the digits in a number that are considered to be reliable and accurate. They represent the precision or certainty of a measurement or calculation.

2. How do I determine the number of significant figures in a number?

The rules for determining significant figures are as follows:- Non-zero digits are always significant.- Zeros between non-zero digits are significant.- Zeros at the end of a number are significant if they are after a decimal point.- Zeros at the end of a number are not significant if they are before a decimal point.- Zeros at the beginning of a number are never significant.

3. Why are significant figures important in science?

Significant figures are important in science because they help to accurately convey the precision and accuracy of a measurement or calculation. They also help to prevent rounding errors and ensure that data is consistent and comparable.

4. How do significant figures affect calculations?

When performing calculations, the result should have the same number of significant figures as the least precise measurement used in the calculation. This means that the final result cannot be more precise than the least precise measurement.

5. Can I ever have an infinite number of significant figures?

No, an infinite number of significant figures is not possible. All measurements and calculations have some level of uncertainty, and therefore, there will always be a limit to the number of significant figures that can be expressed.