Significant figures with multiplication

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the product of 33.3 and 45.1 while considering significant figures. The solution involves converting the numbers to scientific notation to determine the correct number of significant figures. It is also mentioned that the use of significant figures is not always necessary and may not be applicable in real-life situations.
ikihi

Homework Statement

what is 33.3 X 45.1 using significant figures?

Homework Equations

basic multiplication and significant figures.

The Attempt at a Solution

I got 1501.83 in my calculator. I'm confused with the original problem because it has 4 digits before the period however you have to round the answer to 3 significant figures. (It isn't asking for scientific notation)

is it any of these: ≈1501 or ≈1502 or ≈1500?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
note ##0.33\times 10^2 = 3.33\times 10^1 =33.3 = 333 \times 10^{-1}## all have 3 sig fig.
so... ##1502=1.502\times 10^3## how many sig fig?

Likes 1 person
Simon Bridge said:
note ##0.33\times 10^2 = 3.33\times 10^1 =33.3 = 333 \times 10^{-1}## all have 3 sig fig.
so... ##1502=1.502\times 10^3## how many sig fig?

1.502X10^3 has 4 significant figures.

Hmm I thought 0.33 X 10^2 has only 2. Why does it have 3 significant figures?

Anyway I'm confused with the original problem because it has 4 digits before the period (1501.) however you have to round the answer to 3 significant figures. Its not asking for scientific notation.

Last edited:
Hmm I thought 0.33 X 10^2 has only 2. Why does it have 3 significant figures?
Argh - because it's a typo.

Anyway I'm confused with the original problem because it has 4 digits before the period (1501.) however you have to round the answer to 3 significant figures. Its not asking for scientific notation.
But putting things in scientific notation can be a way to check you have the right sig fig.

Scientifically, 3.33 and 3.30 have the same sig fig ... but you cannot tell of 330 is 2 or 3 sig fig.
(a measurement of 3.3 units is different from a measurement of 3.30 units)

Your problem is that you cannot see if "1500" is 2, 3 or 4 sig fig.
But if you wrote 1.50x103 it would be clearer right?

Also - consider 0.02 ... how many sig fig? That's 2x10-2 ... that help?
What if it was the result of 66/3300 ?

The bottom line is that the sig-fig approach is not all that useful.
You will stop using it when you leave secondary school.

The correct way to write that result is: 1500 units (3 sig-fig)

Likes 1 person
Simon Bridge said:
Argh - because it's a typo.

But putting things in scientific notation can be a way to check you have the right sig fig.

Scientifically, 3.33 and 3.30 have the same sig fig ... but you cannot tell of 330 is 2 or 3 sig fig.
(a measurement of 3.3 units is different from a measurement of 3.30 units)

Your problem is that you cannot see if "1500" is 2, 3 or 4 sig fig.
But if you wrote 1.50x103 it would be clearer right?

Also - consider 0.02 ... how many sig fig? That's 2x10-2 ... that help?
What if it was the result of 66/3300 ?

The bottom line is that the sig-fig approach is not all that useful.
You will stop using it when you leave secondary school.

The correct way to write that result is: 1500 units (3 sig-fig)

i see. thankyou

Related to Significant figures with multiplication

What are significant figures?

Significant figures are the digits in a number that are considered to be accurate and reliable. They represent the precision of a measurement or calculation.

Why are significant figures important in multiplication?

Significant figures are important in multiplication because they indicate the precision of the result. When multiplying numbers with different amounts of significant figures, the final answer should have the same number of significant figures as the least precise number.

How do you determine the number of significant figures in a multiplication problem?

To determine the number of significant figures in a multiplication problem, count the number of significant figures in each number being multiplied. The answer should have the same number of significant figures as the number with the least amount of significant figures.

What happens to significant figures when multiplying by a power of 10?

Multiplying by a power of 10 does not change the number of significant figures in a number. The significant figures remain the same, but the decimal point may shift depending on the power of 10.

How do you round the final answer in a multiplication problem with significant figures?

In multiplication, the final answer should be rounded to the same number of significant figures as the number with the least amount of significant figures. If the last significant figure is a 5 or above, round up the preceding digit. If the last significant figure is below 5, leave the preceding digit as is.