Silly question about pair annihilation

In summary, the conversation discusses the energy released during e^{+}e^{-} annihilation and how it is distributed between the two emitted photons. It is noted that in the center of mass frame, the photons have equal energy, but in other frames, the energy can differ. It is also mentioned that in most cases, the annihilation occurs with slow particles and the approximation of 511keV per photon is accurate.
Einj
Hi all. I have a (probably stupid) question about e[itex]^{+}[/itex]e[itex]^{-}[/itex] annihilation. I was reading about the emission of two 511keV photons which is the electron's mass. But, is this energy fixed every time e[itex]^{+}[/itex]e[itex]^{-}[/itex] annihilates in a two photons or is just the energy of the positronium dacay?

My idea is that in e[itex]^{+}[/itex]e[itex]^{-}[/itex] → γ γ the energy of the two photons must be equal, and equal to one half the total energy in the initial state. But who tells me that this initial energy is just the sum of electron e positron masses?? Don't we have a contribution from their momentum??

Physics news on Phys.org
Apart from electron-positron colliders, annihilation usually occurs with slow particles - if you shoot a positron in matter, it usually slows down before it annihilates, as the cross-section increases with decreasing kinetic energy. There, 511keV per photon is a good approximation.

In the center of mass frame of electron+positron, the photons have equal energy. In other frames (like the lab), the energy can be different.

Understood. Thank you very much! :biggrin:

FAQ: Silly question about pair annihilation

1. What is pair annihilation?

Pair annihilation is a process in which a particle and its antiparticle collide and are converted into energy, typically in the form of gamma rays.

2. How does pair annihilation occur?

Pair annihilation occurs when a particle and its antiparticle come into contact and annihilate each other, releasing energy in the form of photons.

3. What particles can undergo pair annihilation?

Any particle with an antiparticle can undergo pair annihilation, including electrons and positrons, protons and antiprotons, and neutrons and antineutrons.

4. What is the significance of pair annihilation in particle physics?

Pair annihilation is important in particle physics because it helps explain the disappearance of antimatter in the universe and provides evidence for the conservation of energy and charge.

5. Can pair annihilation be observed in nature?

Yes, pair annihilation can be observed in nature in high-energy collisions between particles and antiparticles, such as in particle accelerators or in gamma-ray bursts from outer space.