Silver Compounds: Why AgCl is So Insoluble

In summary, compounds of silver (AgCl, for example) are generally insoluble due to the stability of ionic bonds and the charge and size of the ions. Silver nitrate, while soluble, is an exception to this rule, and other compounds with silver may also be soluble depending on the specific anion and cation involved. Factors such as Group IA metals and the stability of the ionic bonds also play a role in determining solubility.
Char. Limit
Gold Member
Why are compounds of silver (AgCl, for example) so insoluble?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Silver nitrate is quite soluble?

Yes, but silver nitrate is (close to) the only one. And if you check, just about anything nitrate is soluble. But silver isn't soluble where most other cations are. That is undeniable. Just look at silver chloride.

Sorry, but this is the only case on this forum so far where I am sure of my correctness. This and the concentration problem. A compound with silver, for the most part, is insoluble when the same anion with (almost) any other cation would be soluble.

Char. Limit said:
Yes, but silver nitrate is (close to) the only one. And if you check, just about anything nitrate is soluble. But silver isn't soluble where most other cations are. That is undeniable. Just look at silver chloride.

Sorry, but this is the only case on this forum so far where I am sure of my correctness. This and the concentration problem. A compound with silver, for the most part, is insoluble when the same anion with (almost) any other cation would be soluble.
Then why silver (I) fluoride is so much water soluble than most other fluorides (excepting those of alcaline metals)?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver(I)_fluoride

Why silver perchlorate is extremely water soluble?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_perchlorate

Why silver complexes with cyanide or with ammonia are soluble?

I sincerely don't find a lot of sense in your question.

Last edited:
There are plenty of soluble Ag compounds. Silver is soluble as a sulfate, acetate, etc. In comparison to a Group IA metal, I suppose you would be right, it's fairly insoluble, but other than that it's really pretty normal.

To answer why some silver compounds are insoluble, it's same reason why any other compound would be insoluble. Look at the stability of the ionic bonds, relative atomic radii, charge of each ion, etc.

FAQ: Silver Compounds: Why AgCl is So Insoluble

1. What is the chemical structure of silver chloride (AgCl)?

Silver chloride (AgCl) is a white crystalline solid with a chemical formula of AgCl. It is composed of one silver atom and one chlorine atom, bonded together by a single covalent bond.

2. Why is silver chloride (AgCl) insoluble in water?

Silver chloride is insoluble in water because it has a high lattice energy, meaning that the forces holding the ions together in a solid lattice are very strong. These forces are stronger than the forces between the ions and water molecules, making it difficult for the silver chloride to dissolve in water.

3. How does the solubility of silver chloride (AgCl) change with temperature?

The solubility of silver chloride (AgCl) decreases with increasing temperature. This is because as temperature increases, the kinetic energy of the molecules also increases, making them more likely to break apart the solid lattice and form a solution. However, for silver chloride, the increase in solubility due to temperature is not significant enough to overcome the strong lattice energy.

4. How does the presence of other ions affect the solubility of silver chloride (AgCl)?

The presence of other ions in a solution can affect the solubility of silver chloride (AgCl) through a process known as the common ion effect. When other ions, such as chloride ions, are present in the solution, they can decrease the solubility of silver chloride by competing for the same space in the solid lattice.

5. What are some practical uses of silver chloride (AgCl)?

Silver chloride (AgCl) is used in a variety of applications, including as a component in photographic film and paper, in the production of silver-based mirrors, and in the manufacturing of certain types of batteries. It is also used in the medical field as a treatment for fungal infections and as an antiseptic. Additionally, silver chloride has been used historically in jewelry and decorative objects due to its white color and resistance to tarnishing.