Silver staining and chromosome spreads

• Thread starter kalladin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Silver
In summary, the person is seeking advice on their silver staining procedure for EM on plastic coated slides. They have been using silver nitrate and a nylon mesh cover for 1.5 hours with additional stain every 15 minutes. They are experiencing issues with the plastic coating coming off during water rinses. They have not noticed any issues with temperature and have observed some unusual bubbling. They are open to any advice and mention that they make their own plastic coated slides using a 0.6% solution of plastic petri dishes dissolved in chloroform.
kalladin
Hi, I don't know if anyone here can help me. But I've lately been silver staining chromosome spreads for EM on plastic coated slides. However, when I do the water rinses after the staining procedure, my plastic coating just comes off and it infuriates me to no end as the whole spreading/staining procedure takes me 8 hours (6 on a good day). Does anyone have any experience and/or advice for me? I've been staining them with silver nitrate (50%) and a nylon mesh cover for 1.5 hours and adding additional stain every 15 minutes. I don't 'think this has anything to do with the temperature. I DO see some weird stuff happening that doesn't happen with normal glass slides- like how the solution bubbles up (i'm thinking some of the stain went under the plastic)?

I will appreciate any help!

Kevin

Biology news on Phys.org
Do you buy the plastic coated slides from a company? If so, contact them and ask if they can give you advice. If you make them yourself, you need to provide us with information what kind of plastic it is and how you coat them.

Hi Monique,

I make my own plastic coated slides. I dissolve plastic petri dishes (made by Falcon) in chloroform to make a 0.6% solution. My coating procedure involves dipping the cleaned slides into the solution for 10-15s then taking them out and immediately dipping them again for another 10s. I hang dry them in the container for a minute then remove and air dry in a dust free area. The slides turn out well and a test to see if the plastic floats off onto water turns out well.

Related to Silver staining and chromosome spreads

1. What is silver staining and how is it used in chromosome spreads?

Silver staining is a technique used to visualize chromosomes in a karyotype or chromosome spread. It involves treating the chromosomes with a silver solution, which results in the deposition of silver particles on the DNA. This creates a dark banding pattern that allows for the identification and analysis of individual chromosomes.

2. How does silver staining differ from other staining methods?

Unlike other staining methods, silver staining does not rely on the use of dyes. Instead, it uses a chemical reaction to produce a visible pattern on the chromosomes. This makes it particularly useful for studying fragile or small chromosomes that may not be visible with other staining techniques.

3. What are the advantages of using silver staining for chromosome spreads?

Silver staining has several advantages over other staining methods. It is highly sensitive, allowing for the visualization of small or fragile chromosomes. It also produces a distinct banding pattern that can aid in the identification and analysis of chromosomes. Additionally, it is a relatively quick and inexpensive technique compared to other staining methods.

4. Are there any limitations to using silver staining for chromosome spreads?

While silver staining is a useful technique, it does have some limitations. It can only be used on fixed cells, meaning that live cells cannot be visualized with this method. Additionally, silver staining may not be as effective for certain types of chromosomes, such as those with high levels of repetitive DNA.

5. How is silver staining used in genetic research?

Silver staining is a valuable tool in genetic research, particularly in the study of chromosomal abnormalities and genetic disorders. By visualizing and analyzing chromosome spreads, scientists can identify and study any structural changes or abnormalities in the chromosomes. This can provide important insights into the underlying causes of genetic disorders and aid in developing potential treatments.