Simple 2-D Wave Equation Problem

In summary, the problem involves solving the two-dimensional wave equation with given boundary and initial conditions and solving for the coefficients B_{mn} and B_{mn}^*. After attempting to solve for these coefficients, it is discovered that the solutions for m = 1 and n = 1 do not work with the integral formula used.
comwiz0

Homework Statement

Solve the boundary value problem

[itex]\frac{\partial ^2 u}{\partial t^2} = c^2 (\frac{\partial ^2 u}{\partial x^2}+\frac{\partial ^2 u}{\partial y^2})[/itex],
[itex]0<x<a[/itex],
[itex]0<y<b[/itex], and
[itex]t>0[/itex]

for the boundary conditions

[itex]u(0,y,t) = 0[/itex] and [itex]u(a,y,t) = 0[/itex] for [itex]0 \leq y \leq b[/itex] and [itex]t\geq0[/itex] and
[itex]u(x,0,t) = 0[/itex] and [itex]u(x,b,t) = 0[/itex] for [itex]0 \leq x \leq a[/itex] and [itex]t\geq0[/itex]

and the initial conditions

[itex]u(x,y,0) = f(x,y)[/itex] and
[itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}(x,y,0) = g(x,y)[/itex]

with [itex]a=b=1[/itex], [itex]c=1/\pi[/itex] and the given functions [itex]f(x,y) = sin(\pi x)sin(\pi y)[/itex] and [itex]g(x,y) = sin(\pi x)[/itex].

Homework Equations

The derived solution to the two dimensional wave equation with the above boundary and initial conditions is

[itex]u(x,y,t) = \sum_{n=1}^\infty \sum_{m=1}^\infty (B_{mn} cos \lambda_{mn} t + B_{mn}^* sin \lambda_{mn} t) sin \frac{m \pi x}{a} cos \frac {n \pi y}{b}[/itex]

where

[itex]\lambda_{mn} = c \pi \sqrt{\frac{m^2}{a^2} + \frac{n^2}{b^2}}[/itex]

and

[itex]B_{mn} = \frac{4}{a b} \int_0^b \int_0^a f(x,y) sin \frac{m \pi x}{a} sin \frac{n \pi y}{b} dx dy[/itex]

and

[itex]B_{mn}^* = \frac{4}{a b \lambda_{mn}} \int_0^b \int_0^a g(x,y) sin \frac{m \pi x}{a} sin \frac{n \pi y}{b} dx dy[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright, with all of that out of the way, this should be a pretty simple problem of just plugging in numbers. However, for some reason, I seem to keep getting [itex]B_{mn}[/itex] and [itex]B_{mn}^*[/itex] to be zero, which, in turn, means the whole thing is zero, unless I'm misunderstanding something or missing something - which, for as long as I've been staring at this problem, could very well be the case.

Starting with [itex]\lambda_{mn}[/itex],

[itex]\lambda_{mn} = c \pi \sqrt{\frac{m^2}{a^2} + \frac{n^2}{b^2}} = \frac{\pi}{\pi} \sqrt{\frac{m^2}{1^2} + \frac{n^2}{1^2}} = \sqrt{m^2 + n^2}[/itex].

Next, [itex]B_{mn}[/itex],

[itex]B_{mn} = \frac{4}{a b} \int_0^b \int_0^a f(x,y) sin \frac{m \pi x}{a} sin \frac{n \pi y}{b} dx dy[/itex]
[itex]B_{mn} = 4 \int_0^1 \int_0^1 sin(\pi x)sin(\pi y) sin(m \pi x)sin(n \pi y)dx dy[/itex]
[itex]B_{mn} = 4 \int_0^1 sin(\pi x) sin(m \pi x) dx \int_0^1 sin(\pi y) sin(n \pi y) dy [/itex]
[itex]B_{mn} = 4 [\frac{sin(\pi m)}{2(m+1)\pi} - \frac{sin(\pi m)}{2(m-1)\pi}][\frac{sin(\pi n)}{2(n+1)\pi} - \frac{sin(\pi n)}{2(n-1)\pi}][/itex]

For all [itex]m[/itex] and [itex]n[/itex] where [itex]m, n = 1, 2, ...[/itex], [itex]B_{mn} = 0[/itex] because of this [itex]sin(\pi i)[/itex] term. I might be missing something obvious here, but I think this is correct. This, in and of itself, doesn't bother me. However, repeating for [itex]B_{mn}^*[/itex],

[itex]B_{mn}^* = \frac{4}{a b \lambda_{mn}} \int_0^b \int_0^a g(x,y) sin \frac{m \pi x}{a} sin \frac{n \pi y}{b} dx dy[/itex]
[itex]B_{mn}^* = \frac{4}{\sqrt{m^2+n^2}} \int_0^1 \int_0^1 sin(\pi x) sin(m \pi x)sin(n \pi y)dx dy[/itex]
[itex]B_{mn}^* = \frac{4}{\sqrt{m^2+n^2}} \int_0^1 sin(\pi x) sin(m \pi x) dx \int_0^1 sin(n \pi y) dy [/itex]
[itex]B_{mn}^* = \frac{4}{\sqrt{m^2+n^2}} [\frac{sin(\pi m)}{2(m+1)\pi} - \frac{sin(\pi m)}{2(m-1)\pi}][\frac{1}{n \pi} - \frac{cos(n \pi)}{n \pi}][/itex]

As before, for all [itex]m[/itex] and [itex]n[/itex] where [itex]m, n = 1, 2, ...[/itex], [itex]B_{mn}^* = 0[/itex] because of this [itex]sin(\pi i)[/itex] term. So, given that what I have here seems to indicate that I'm doing something wrong, I figured I would ask for some assistance. I'm sure I'm missing something really simple, but I've been staring at this problem for too long to see it. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
comwiz0 said:
[itex]B_{mn} = 4 \int_0^1 \int_0^1 sin(\pi x)sin(\pi y) sin(m \pi x)sin(n \pi y)dx dy[/itex]
[itex]B_{mn} = 4 \int_0^1 sin(\pi x) sin(m \pi x) dx \int_0^1 sin(\pi y) sin(n \pi y) dy [/itex]
[itex]B_{mn} = 4 [\frac{sin(\pi m)}{2(m+1)\pi} - \frac{sin(\pi m)}{2(m-1)\pi}][\frac{sin(\pi n)}{2(n+1)\pi} - \frac{sin(\pi n)}{2(n-1)\pi}][/itex]

There are at least two mistakes here. The transition from the first line to the second is incorrect. If you change the variables so that x: (0, a) -> (0, 1) nd y: (0, b) -> (0,1), that change should affect x and y everywhere, including f(x, y).

The second mistake is ignoring m = 1 and n = 1.

voko said:
There are at least two mistakes here. The transition from the first line to the second is incorrect. If you change the variables so that x: (0, a) -> (0, 1) nd y: (0, b) -> (0,1), that change should affect x and y everywhere, including f(x, y).

Can you clarify what you mean by the transition from the first line to the second line being incorrect? All I am doing here is substituting in the given values into the first line: [itex]a=1[/itex] and [itex]b=1[/itex]. [itex]f(x,y)[/itex], as given in the problem statement, does not include an a or b term. It is just simply inserted in place in the equation. The third and fourth terms inside the integrals on the second line included an a and b, respectively, and they were set equal to one. The values of x and y are not being worked with at that stage.

As an aside, the solution given on the last line I was able to symbolically confirm as well with my TI-89.

voko said:

What do you mean here? If m or n is set to any whole number value, [itex]sin(\pi m)[/itex] or [itex]sin(\pi n)[/itex] are equal to 0.

comwiz0 said:
Next, [itex]B_{mn}[/itex],

voko said:

comwiz0 said:
What do you mean here? If m or n is set to any whole number value, [itex]sin(\pi m)[/itex] or [itex]sin(\pi n)[/itex] are equal to 0.

What he means is that the integral formula you used for those integrals does not work when ##m=1## or ##n=1##. They have to be done separately.

comwiz0 said:
All I am doing here is substituting in the given values into the first line: [itex]a=1[/itex] and [itex]b=1[/itex].

Silly me, I missed that! Please ignore that part.

Do you see that in the formulae you got after integration, you have (m - 1) and (n - 1) in denominators? When m = 1 and n = 1, those terms blow up. This is an indication of a problem with your integration. The problem is that before integration those terms were ## \cos (m - 1)\pi x = \cos (1 - 1) \pi x = 1 ## and ##\cos (n - 1) \pi y = \cos (1 - 1) \pi y = 1 ##, i.e., constants, so their integrals cannot be zero.

I believe I understand what you two are saying, but I'm not quite sure I know how to implement it. I've been working on this assignment for a bit too long to really comprehend anything at this point unfortunately. Can you be a bit more specific about how I might start to set something like that up?

Between this: [itex]B_{mn} = 4 \int_0^1 sin(\pi x) sin(m \pi x) dx \int_0^1 sin(\pi y) sin(n \pi y) dy [/itex] and this:
[itex]B_{mn} = 4 [\frac{sin(\pi m)}{2(m+1)\pi} - \frac{sin(\pi m)}{2(m-1)\pi}][\frac{sin(\pi n)}{2(n+1)\pi} - \frac{sin(\pi n)}{2(n-1)\pi}][/itex], what was the intermediate equation?

Evaluate this intermediate equation for m = 1 and n = 1. The same applies to ## B_{mn}^* ##.

FAQ: Simple 2-D Wave Equation Problem

1. What is the Simple 2-D Wave Equation?

The Simple 2-D Wave Equation is a mathematical model used to describe the behavior of waves in a two-dimensional space. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to understand and predict the movement of waves in various systems.

2. How is the Simple 2-D Wave Equation different from other wave equations?

The Simple 2-D Wave Equation is a simplified version of the more general wave equation. It only considers waves propagating in a two-dimensional space, while the general wave equation can be applied to waves in any number of dimensions. Additionally, the Simple 2-D Wave Equation assumes a constant wave speed, while the general wave equation allows for varying wave speeds.

3. What are the variables and parameters in the Simple 2-D Wave Equation?

The Simple 2-D Wave Equation includes variables for position (x, y) and time (t), as well as parameters for wave amplitude (A), wave speed (c), and wavelength (λ). These variables and parameters can be used to solve for the displacement of the wave at any given point and time.

4. How is the Simple 2-D Wave Equation used in real-world applications?

The Simple 2-D Wave Equation has a wide range of applications in various fields, including acoustics, electromagnetics, and fluid dynamics. It is used to study and predict the behavior of waves in these systems, which can help engineers and scientists design and optimize various technologies and processes.

5. What are some limitations of the Simple 2-D Wave Equation?

While the Simple 2-D Wave Equation is a useful mathematical model, it has some limitations. It assumes ideal conditions, such as a constant wave speed and a perfect medium, which may not always be the case in real-world situations. Additionally, it does not consider factors such as wave interference and damping, which can significantly affect the behavior of waves in certain systems.

Back