Simple acceleration, force, and mass question

In summary, using the formula acceleration = force/mass, it can be determined that the thrust on each of the four engines of a 30 tonne jumbo jet accelerating at 4 m/s² is 30,000 Newtons.
noobphysicist

Homework Statement

A 30 tonne jumbo jet accelerates down the runway at 4 m/s².What must be the thrust on
each of its four engines?

Homework Equations

Acceleration = force/mass

the formula gives acceleration in m/s², provided that the force is in N and the mass is in kg

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I attempted (Not sure if it's correct)

Firstly, we need to convert the tonne into kg. Therefore, 30 tonne = 30000kg

Step 1: Acceleration = force/mass
Step 2 (embedding the digits): 4 = f/30000
Step 3 (multiplying both sides by 30000) 4 x 30000 = f/30000 (30000)
Step 4 (Simplifying) 120000 = F

I found that my answer is 120000 Newtons (N) is the total thrust but because there is 4 engines, we must divide the force by 4, which will amount to 30000 Newtons on each engine.

^that is my reasoning for this question which I suspect is probably flawed in one way or another for a couple of reasons. I'd like your help in knowing if I did something incorrect and if so, I'd like your help in correcting it.

Physics news on Phys.org
noobphysicist said:

Homework Statement

A 30 tonne jumbo jet accelerates down the runway at 4 m/s².What must be the thrust on
each of its four engines?

Homework Equations

Acceleration = force/mass

the formula gives acceleration in m/s², provided that the force is in N and the mass is in kg

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I attempted (Not sure if it's correct)

Firstly, we need to convert the tonne into kg. Therefore, 30 tonne = 30000kg

Step 1: Acceleration = force/mass
Step 2 (embedding the digits): 4 = f/30000
Step 3 (multiplying both sides by 30000) 4 x 30000 = f/30000 (30000)
Step 4 (Simplifying) 120000 = F

I found that my answer is 120000 Newtons (N) is the total thrust but because there is 4 engines, we must divide the force by 4, which will amount to 30000 Newtons on each engine.

^that is my reasoning for this question which I suspect is probably flawed in one way or another for a couple of reasons. I'd like your help in knowing if I did something incorrect and if so, I'd like your help in correcting it.

I think it's perfectly correct.

Likes 1 person

Related to Simple acceleration, force, and mass question

1. What is simple acceleration?

Simple acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

2. How is force related to acceleration?

According to Newton's second law of motion, force is directly proportional to acceleration. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be. The relationship can be expressed mathematically as F = ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

3. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is measured in kilograms (kg) and is constant, while weight is measured in newtons (N) and can vary depending on the strength of gravity.

4. How does mass affect acceleration?

The more mass an object has, the more force is needed to accelerate it. This is because a greater force is required to overcome the object's inertia, or resistance to change in motion. Therefore, objects with a larger mass will have a slower acceleration compared to objects with a smaller mass.

5. What are some real-world examples of simple acceleration?

Some examples of simple acceleration include a car speeding up or slowing down, a person jumping off a diving board, a ball rolling down a hill, and a rocket launching into space. Any situation where there is a change in an object's velocity over time involves simple acceleration.

Back