Simple algebra, derivations, integrations. Desperate need of help

Finally, you can combine the (a+ a') terms on the left and divide both sides by (a- a') to get the final answer, which is: In summary, x = 1 + (m/m').
vice
Simple algebra, derivations, integrations. Desperate need of help :)

Hi!
This is my first post here (and it's not a very funny one). :)

It's been a long time since I took any math, and I'm getting more and more confused. Need some help!

a'*m' = b'*m
a*m' = b*m

b-b'=(a-a')*(m/m')
(a-a')+(b-b')=(a-a')*(?)

What's supposed to fit where the question mark stands?

More stupid questions to come. :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
Let us denote the questionmark with "x", so that we have:

(a - a') + (b - b') = (a - a') * x.

Divide both sides by (a - a'):

x = ((a - a') + (b - b')) / (a - a') = 1 + (b - b') / (a - a') ... (1)

But you knew that (b - b') = (a - a')(m/m'), i.e that (b - b')/(a - a') = (m/m'), so

x = 1 + m/m' ... (2)

Both (1) and (2) are possible answers.

You have b-b'=(a-a')*(m/m')

You go from b- b' to a-a'+ b- b' by adding a- a', of course. Doing that on both sides, you get a+ a'+ b- b'= a+ a'+ (a-a')(m/m')= (a-a')(1)+ (a-a')(m/m').

Now seeing that "(a- a')" in both parts on the right, you can factor it out:

a+ a'+ b- b'= (a-a')(1+ (m/m')).

Related to Simple algebra, derivations, integrations. Desperate need of help

1. What is algebra and why is it important?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with symbols and the rules for manipulating those symbols to solve equations. It is important because it helps us solve real-world problems and understand complex relationships between quantities.

2. How do I solve a simple algebraic equation?

To solve a simple algebraic equation, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the equation by using inverse operations. This means that you need to perform the opposite operation on both sides of the equation to cancel out any coefficients or constants. Once the variable is isolated, you can easily solve for its value.

3. What are derivatives and how are they used?

Derivatives are a mathematical concept used to measure the rate of change of a function. They are used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and economics, to analyze rates of change and predict future behavior of a system. They are also used to find maximum and minimum values of a function.

4. How do I find the derivative of a function?

To find the derivative of a function, you can use the power rule or apply the chain rule if the function is composed of multiple functions. You can also use the product rule or quotient rule if the function is a product or quotient of two functions. It is important to remember the rules and apply them correctly to find the correct derivative.

5. What is integration and how is it used?

Integration is the inverse process of differentiation, and it is used to find the area under a curve. It is also used to solve various real-world problems, such as calculating volumes of irregular shapes, finding the distance traveled by an object with a changing velocity, and determining the amount of work done by a force.