Simple algebra problem: Check my work please?

In summary, the grade for a class is determined by three tests and a final exam, with the final exam counting twice as much as a test. For a student with three test grades of 78, 82, and 100, in order to achieve an average of 90, they must score a 50 on the final exam. This is determined using the equation (78 + 82 + 100 + 2x)/5 = 90, where x represents the score on the final exam. The book is incorrect in giving the answer of 95.
Holocene

Homework Statement

The grade in a class is determined by three tests and a final exam. The final exam counts twice as much as a test. A student's three test grades are 78, 82, and 100. What does he need to score on the final exam to bring his average up to 90?

Homework Equations

Please check this work; book is not giving this answer as a solution.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\displaystyle{\frac{78 + 82 + 100 + 2x}{4} = 90}[/tex]

[tex]\displaystyle{\frac{260 + 2x}{4} = 90}[/tex]

[tex]\displaystyle{260 + 2x = 360}[/tex]

[tex]\displaystyle{2x = 100}[/tex]

[tex]\displaystyle{x = 50}[/tex]

The student needs a score of 50 on the final exam to yeild an overall average of 90.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's right.

rocophysics said:
That's right.

Thanks. :smile:

Book is giving "95" as an answer...:rolleyes:

Holocene said:
Thanks. :smile:

Book is giving "95" as an answer...:rolleyes:
I'm going to laugh if that's right, but I don't think it is :-]

What?! That's really, really wrong. You need to be dividing by 5, not 4.

It helps to do a quick reality check on these. His average right now is not a 90. How on Earth would failing a test bring his score up?

zhentil is correct. If you are going to count the final exam as worth 2x in the numerator then you must count it as 2 tests in the denominator.

FAQ: Simple algebra problem: Check my work please?

1. How do I solve this simple algebra problem?

To solve a simple algebra problem, you need to follow a few steps. First, identify the variables and constants in the problem. Then, use the rules of algebra to manipulate the equations and isolate the variable you are trying to solve for. Finally, plug in the values given in the problem and solve for the variable.

2. How do I know if my answer is correct?

To check if your answer is correct, you can plug in the value you found for the variable back into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. You can also use a calculator to double check your calculations.

3. What if I get a different answer than the one provided?

If you get a different answer than the one provided, it could mean that you made a mistake in your calculations. Double check your work to see where the mistake may have occurred. It's also possible that there may be more than one solution to the problem.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve this problem?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve this problem. However, it's important to understand the steps and rules of algebra so you can check your answer and understand the process.

5. Are there any shortcuts for solving this type of problem?

Yes, there are some shortcuts for solving simple algebra problems. For example, you can use the distributive property to simplify expressions, or you can use the inverse operations to isolate the variable. It's important to understand these shortcuts and when they can be applied.

Back