Simple complex analysis question

In summary, the conversation discusses the axiom of complex analysis that states iy=yi when y is a real number. The possibility of proving this result is also mentioned and the definition of complex numbers using couples is explained. The conclusion is that this axiom can be easily verified using this definition.
McLaren Rulez
Hi,

In complex analysis, is it an axiom that iy=yi where y is real? Or can this result be proved somehow? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, it depends on how you define the product. The most elementary way to define complex numbers is by defining the to be couples (a,b) with addition

(a,b)+(c,d)=(a+c,b+d)
(a,b)(c,d)=(ac-bd,bc+ad)

Here a real number is of the form (a,0) and i is (0,1). It can now easily be checked tht

(a,0)(0,1)=(0,a)=(0,1)(a,0).

Thank you micromass. That is a nice way of looking at it

FAQ: Simple complex analysis question

1. What is complex analysis and why is it important?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with functions of complex numbers. It is important because it has many applications in physics, engineering, and other areas of science, and it provides a powerful framework for understanding and solving problems in these fields.

2. What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that can be written in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (√-1). Complex numbers are often used to represent quantities that have both a real and an imaginary component, such as electrical currents and waves.

3. What is the difference between a real and a complex function?

A real function is a function that takes real numbers as inputs and outputs real numbers. A complex function is a function that takes complex numbers as inputs and outputs complex numbers. In other words, a complex function is a function of a complex variable, while a real function is a function of a real variable.

4. What is the Cauchy-Riemann equations and why are they important in complex analysis?

The Cauchy-Riemann equations are a set of two partial differential equations that describe the conditions for a function to be differentiable at a point in the complex plane. They are important in complex analysis because they provide a way to determine if a function is analytic (or holomorphic), which means it can be represented by a power series and has many useful properties.

5. Can you give an example of a complex analysis problem and its solution?

One example of a complex analysis problem is finding the maximum value of the function f(z) = z^2 + iz on the unit disk (the set of all complex numbers with absolute value less than or equal to 1). The solution involves using the Cauchy-Riemann equations to show that f(z) is analytic on the disk, and then using the maximum modulus theorem to find the maximum value on the boundary of the disk. The solution is f(z) = 1 + i, which occurs at the point z = 1/√2 + i/√2.

Back