Simple Dilution Problem: Calculating Final Concentration (M)

• Thread starter Shafty
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dilution
In summary, a 0.10 M solution of HCL is added to 21 ml of distilled water to create a final volume of 22 ml. Using the equation C1*V1=C2*V2, the final concentration (C2) is calculated to be 0.0045 M. The professor may be focusing on the significant figures used in the calculation.
Shafty
This problem seems simple enough, yet my professor says my answer is incorrect. Here is the problem.

1 ml of a 0.10 M solution of HCL is added to 21 ml of distilled water. What is the final concentration of the solution (M)?

Im going to use the equation

C1*V1=C2*V2

Where C1 is the initial concentration (M) and C2 is the final Concentration, and V1 is initial Volume, and V2 is final volume

If I add 1ml of HCl to 21ml of H2O, I will have 22ml of solution. This is V2, therefore

C1V1/V2=C2

(0.1M)(1ml)/(22ml)=C2

C2= 0.0045 M

What am I overlooking?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps s/he is nitpicking on the significant figures.

--

Related to Simple Dilution Problem: Calculating Final Concentration (M)

1. What is a simple dilution problem?

A simple dilution problem is a type of mathematical problem commonly encountered in science and medicine. It involves calculating the concentration of a solution after it has been diluted with a solvent or another solution.

2. How is a dilution problem solved?

A dilution problem can be solved using the dilution formula, which is C1V1 = C2V2. This formula relates the initial concentration (C1) and volume (V1) of the solution to the final concentration (C2) and volume (V2) after dilution. By rearranging the formula, you can calculate any of these variables if you know the other three.

3. What are the units of concentration in a dilution problem?

The units of concentration in a dilution problem depend on the units used for volume. If the volume is measured in milliliters (mL), the concentration will be in units of mass per volume (e.g. mg/mL). If the volume is measured in liters (L), the concentration will be in units of moles per volume (e.g. M).

4. How do you determine the dilution factor in a dilution problem?

The dilution factor is the ratio of the final volume to the initial volume. For example, if you start with 5 mL of a solution and add 20 mL of solvent to make a total volume of 25 mL, the dilution factor is 25 mL/5 mL = 5. The dilution factor is often used in conjunction with the dilution formula to calculate the final concentration of a solution.

5. Can a dilution problem be performed using any type of solution?

Yes, a dilution problem can be performed using any type of solution, as long as the initial and final concentrations and volumes are known. However, it is important to consider the properties of the solution, such as solubility and stability, when performing a dilution to ensure accurate results.