Simple energy/kinematics problem

• Thread starter maxbashi
  • Start date
In summary, the question asks for the distance a person would land from a point directly below the bottom of a water slide, given the height of the slide and the horizontal distance from the bottom of the slide to the surface of the water. The solution involves using conservation of mechanical energy and kinematics, and the correct answer is 4.9 m. A mistake in the initial velocity calculation led to the incorrect answer of 3.9 m. It was clarified that the 4.0 m given in the problem represents the height of the water slide from the top to the bottom.
maxbashi
I'm not seeing my mistake, but I'm not getting the answer in the back of the book.

Homework Statement

A water slide has a height of 4.0 m. The people coming down the slide shoot out horizontally at the bottom, which is a distance of 1.5 m above the surface of the water in the pool. If a person starts down the slide from rest, neglecting frictional losses, how far from a point directly below the bottom of the slide does the person land?

Homework Equations

Just conservation of mechanical energy, and kinematics.

The Attempt at a Solution

The book gives 4.9 m, but here is my work where I get 3.9 m. I almost hate to ask what I'm doing wrong...

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 753
Physics news on Phys.org
Recheck your calculation for the initial velocity. What's the change in height from the top of the slide to the bottom of the slide?

Oh - would the 4.0 m be the distance from the top of the water slide to the pool, or the distance from the top of the water slide to the bottom?

(Ok just answered my own question - thanks)

FAQ: Simple energy/kinematics problem

1. What is simple energy/kinematics problem?

Simple energy/kinematics problem is a type of problem-solving exercise that involves the application of basic principles of energy and motion, such as conservation of energy, work, power, and Newton's laws of motion. It typically involves calculating quantities such as velocity, acceleration, and potential or kinetic energy in a straightforward manner.

2. What are some common examples of simple energy/kinematics problems?

Some common examples of simple energy/kinematics problems include calculating the speed of an object at a given time, finding the height of an object at a specific point in time, and determining the amount of work done on an object by a force.

3. How do you solve a simple energy/kinematics problem?

To solve a simple energy/kinematics problem, you first need to identify the known and unknown quantities, and then choose the appropriate equation(s) that relate these quantities. Next, you can plug in the known values and solve for the unknown quantity using basic algebraic manipulation.

4. What are the key principles involved in solving a simple energy/kinematics problem?

The key principles involved in solving a simple energy/kinematics problem include conservation of energy, Newton's laws of motion, and the work-energy theorem. These principles help determine the relationships between different physical quantities and can be used to solve for unknown values.

5. How can simple energy/kinematics problems be applied in real-life situations?

Simple energy/kinematics problems have many practical applications in real-life situations. For example, they can be used to analyze the motion of projectiles, calculate the efficiency of machines, and understand the forces acting on an object. They are also used in engineering and design to optimize the performance of various systems and devices.