Simple Gas Law Problem: Find Final Temperature

• Thread starter swathi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Grade 11
In summary, the problem involves finding the final temperature of a gas that initially occupies 350 L at 20.0 C and later expands to 385 L while maintaining a constant pressure. Using Charles' law and converting the temperature to Kelvin, the final temperature is determined to be slightly higher than the initial temperature due to the increase in volume. Once this is taken into account, the correct answer can be calculated.
swathi
[SOLVED] Simple Grade 11 Question ! Help Please

A sample of natural gas occupies a volume of 350 L at 20.0 C. The pressure remains unchanged, and the temperature is increased until the volume of the natural gas becomes 385 L.

WHAT IS THE FINAL TEMPERATURE (in C) of the gas ?

easy question but i keep getting it wrong not sure why..
this is what i did..

V1 = 350 L
V2 = 385 L
T1 = 20 C ( or 293 Kevlin)
T2 = X (unknown... )

so i need the final temp..
i know the pressure is constant so that's Charles' law
V1/T1 = V2/T2

that's the formula i used and I'm not getting the right answer
:(
help would be greatly appreciated
=)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First you have to use absolute temperature (kelvin)
Then think about what the answer should be.

You are increasing the volume of the gas so the molecules ar emore spread out. In order for them to have the same pressure, ie hit the walls as hard and as often, they must have more energy - so the temperature must be higher.

You are increasing the volume by around 5% so the absolute temperature should be around 5% higher. Now you can put the numbers into the calculator!

OMG !
wow that made so much sense
i got the right answer ! =)
stupid mistakee..
=) THANK YOU !

Related to Simple Gas Law Problem: Find Final Temperature

What is the best way to study for exams?

The best way to study for exams is to develop a study plan and stick to it. This can include creating flashcards, summarizing notes, and practicing past exam questions. It is also important to take breaks and get enough rest to avoid burnout.

How can I improve my grades?

To improve grades, it is important to attend classes regularly, take thorough notes, and actively participate in class. Additionally, staying organized, seeking help from teachers or tutors, and consistently reviewing material can also help improve grades.

What are some effective time management techniques for students?

Some effective time management techniques for students include creating a schedule or to-do list, prioritizing tasks, and breaking down larger tasks into smaller, more manageable ones. It is also important to avoid procrastination and minimize distractions during study time.

How can I prepare for college or university?

To prepare for college or university, it is important to maintain good grades and take challenging courses in high school. Additionally, participating in extracurricular activities, volunteering, and building strong relationships with teachers for letters of recommendation can also help with the college application process.

What are some effective note-taking strategies?

Effective note-taking strategies include using abbreviations and symbols, summarizing information, and organizing notes in a visually appealing way. It is also helpful to review and revise notes regularly to reinforce understanding and retain information.