Simple harmonic motion and central forces.

In summary, assuming Earth to be a solid sphere, a straight hole drilled from pole to pole would result in a particle dropped undergoing simple harmonic motion. The period of oscillation depends only on the Earth's density and is independent of size. The equation for the force exerted on the particle is F = GMm/(r^2) and using the equations for mass and net force, it can be shown that the particle will undergo SHM with a period proportional to the Earth's density.
WhataRecch

Homework Statement

Assuming Earth to be a solid sphere, show that if a straight hole were drilled from pole to pole that a particel dropped would undergo simple harmonic motion. Show that the period of the oscillation depends only on the Earth's density and is independent of size. What is the period in hours?

Homework Equations

We have already done studying oscillations and this questions mainly pertains to central forces. The obvious equation I have in mind is F = GMm/(r^2) and I know somehow I have to do something that will lead to d2x/dt2 = constant*x

The Attempt at a Solution

Something tells me this problem is extremely simple. But I don't understand how to do it. I've reached a bit of a dead end. The equation for the force that is exterted on the particle doesn't display shm.

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that:
1. a particle inside such a hole will only be attracted by the gravitational pull of that spherical part of the Earth which lies BELOW the particle;
2. use 'mass = volume x density' for that part of the mass of the Earth;
3. take the particle to be at some displacement x in a direction away from the cente of the Earth;
4. use f(net) = ma for the particle in the direction of displacement x;

If you follow grzz advice you should find that the force on the mass is proportional to r which means the mass will undergo SHM

Related to Simple harmonic motion and central forces.

What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which a body oscillates back and forth around a central equilibrium point, with a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium point. It is commonly seen in systems such as a mass on a spring or a pendulum.

How is simple harmonic motion related to central forces?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of central force, as the restoring force acting on the body is directed towards the center of motion. This can be seen in systems such as a mass on a spring, where the force is directed towards the equilibrium point, or a planet orbiting around a star, where the gravitational force is directed towards the center of the star.

What is the relationship between the period and frequency of simple harmonic motion?

The period of a simple harmonic motion is the time it takes for one complete oscillation, while the frequency is the number of oscillations per unit time. The two are inversely proportional, meaning that as the period increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation T = 1/f, where T is the period and f is the frequency.

What is the difference between simple harmonic motion and damped harmonic motion?

In simple harmonic motion, the amplitude and frequency of the oscillations remain constant over time. In damped harmonic motion, the amplitude decreases and the frequency may change as a result of the dissipative forces acting on the system, such as friction. Damped harmonic motion results in a gradual decrease in energy and eventually the system will come to rest.

How is simple harmonic motion related to the concept of energy?

Simple harmonic motion is closely related to the concept of energy as it involves a constant exchange of potential and kinetic energy. When the body is at the equilibrium point, all of its energy is in the form of potential energy. As it moves away from the equilibrium point, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, and vice versa as it moves towards the equilibrium point. In an ideal system, the total energy remains constant throughout the motion.