Simple Harmonic Motion, Initial Displacement vs Initial Cond

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of imperial units in an example of simple harmonic motion and the confusion surrounding the initial displacement given at t=0. It is explained that the initial displacement is half the peak to peak amplitude and the minus sign is due to the direction of the restoring force. The use of imperial units and the calculation of amplitude are also mentioned.
austrosam
Hi everybody,

I'm writing an exploration on the mathematics of simple harmonic motion and I stumbled across something I fail to understand in one of my resources (http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/DE/Vibrations.aspx). In the example the author uses toward the end of the resource, the object is initially displaced by 6 inches (don't ask me why he felt the need to use imperial units) but then, the initial condition for displacement given at t=0 is -1/2. Should it not be 6?

My guess is that one can simply set t=0 at any point during the oscillation and not in fact when the oscillation is started, but that still would not quite explain everything. Maybe I am just being very silly...

Many thanks for any advice!

Sam

Physics news on Phys.org
If you pull a pendulum to one side by 6" and let it go it will swing back and forth a total distance of 12". So the initial displacement is half the peak to peak amplitude. It sounds like they decided to use "fraction of peak to peak amplitude" as the unit of displacement rather than inches or meters.

The minus sign is probably because the restoring force is in the opposite direction to the displacement.

CWatters said:
If you pull a pendulum to one side by 6" and let it go it will swing back and forth a total distance of 12". So the initial displacement is half the peak to peak amplitude. It sounds like they decided to use "fraction of peak to peak amplitude" as the unit of displacement rather than inches or meters.

The minus sign is probably because the restoring force is in the opposite direction to the displacement.
Right, I guess that makes sense, though I must say it still seems a little odd, to me it would seem much more straightforward to use a value of 6 inches instead.

Many thanks anyway!

One more thing, I merely need quick confirmation I'm on the right track here. Later on, they calculated the amplitude which was slightly larger than the initial displacement. Is this because of the initial velocity, and the object not starting from rest?

I f the author is using imperial units then the lengths would be in feet - so 6 inches is 1/2 a foot. Then they would use g=32 ft/sec/sec.

bhillyard said:
I f the author is using imperial units then the lengths would be in feet - so 6 inches is 1/2 a foot. Then they would use g=32 ft/sec/sec.

Perfect! Thank you! I am totally unfamiliar with imperial units, I should have really checked that. Thanks!

Related to Simple Harmonic Motion, Initial Displacement vs Initial Cond

1. What is Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM)?

Simple Harmonic Motion is a type of periodic motion in which the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium position.

2. How is SHM different from other types of motion?

SHM is different from other types of motion because it follows a specific pattern where the displacement, velocity, and acceleration are all sinusoidal functions of time.

3. What is the role of initial displacement in SHM?

The initial displacement in SHM determines the amplitude of the motion. This means that the greater the initial displacement, the larger the amplitude and the greater the distance traveled by the object.

4. How does initial displacement affect the period of SHM?

The initial displacement does not affect the period of SHM. The period, or the time it takes for one complete oscillation, is only dependent on the mass and the spring constant of the system.

5. What is the difference between initial displacement and initial conditions in SHM?

Initial displacement refers to the starting position of the object while initial conditions refer to the initial values of displacement, velocity, and acceleration. Initial displacement is a part of initial conditions but does not affect the period or frequency of SHM.