Simple Harmonic Motion Pendulum

In summary, the problem involves a simple pendulum with a small sphere attached to a massless rod of length L that is pivoted at the top. The pendulum is pulled to one side and released from rest at an angle θ from the vertical. The task is to find the linear speed of the sphere when the pendulum rod is vertical, using g, θ, and L as variables. The relevant equations include a = v^2/r, mg-T=ma, and \sqrt(aL) = v. To solve this problem, one can use Conservation of Energy and review formulas for simple and solid pendulums. It is important to note that the problem asks for linear speed, not acceleration.
sreya

Homework Statement

A small sphere with mass m is attached to a massless rod of length L that is pivoted at the top, forming a simple pendulum. The pendulum is pulled to one side so that the rod is at an angle θ from the vertical, and released from rest.

When the pendulum rod is vertical, what is the linear speed of the sphere? Express your answer in terms of g, θ, L.

Homework Equations

[itex] a = \frac{v^2}{r}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to derive acceleration at this point. I know that

[itex] mg-T=ma [/itex]

and that you could insert the acceleration derived here for the centripetal acceleration equation to derive velocity

But otherwise I'm kind of lost

[itex] \sqrt(aL) = v [/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
sreya said:

Homework Statement

A small sphere with mass m is attached to a massless rod of length L that is pivoted at the top, forming a simple pendulum. The pendulum is pulled to one side so that the rod is at an angle θ from the vertical, and released from rest.

When the pendulum rod is vertical, what is the linear speed of the sphere? Express your answer in terms of g, θ, L.

Homework Equations

[itex] a = \frac{v^2}{r}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to derive acceleration at this point. I know that

[itex] mg-T=ma [/itex]

and that you could insert the acceleration derived here for the centripetal acceleration equation to derive velocity

But otherwise I'm kind of lost

[itex] \sqrt(aL) = v [/itex]
Can you use Conservation of Energy ?

From your title, I gather that this is a Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM) problem. If so, angle ##\theta## must be small. Also, the problem asks you to find the linear SPEED of the sphere, not the acceleration.

I would begin by reviewing the formulas for a simple pendulum, comparing them with the formulas for a solid pendulum, and seeing how such formulas are derived. Can you list some viable formulas?

Related to Simple Harmonic Motion Pendulum

What is a Simple Harmonic Motion Pendulum?

A Simple Harmonic Motion Pendulum is a type of pendulum that moves back and forth in a regular, repeating pattern. This motion is known as simple harmonic motion and is caused by the pendulum's weight being pulled by gravity towards the center point of its swing.

What factors affect the period of a Simple Harmonic Motion Pendulum?

The period, or the time it takes for one complete swing of a pendulum, is affected by the length of the pendulum, the mass of the weight, and the acceleration due to gravity. The longer the pendulum, the slower the period will be. A heavier weight will also result in a slower period. The acceleration due to gravity is a constant, so it will always affect the period in the same way.

How is the energy of a Simple Harmonic Motion Pendulum conserved?

The energy of a Simple Harmonic Motion Pendulum is conserved because as the pendulum swings back and forth, it constantly exchanges potential energy (when it is at its highest point) and kinetic energy (when it is at its lowest point). The total energy of the pendulum remains the same throughout its motion.

Can a Simple Harmonic Motion Pendulum be used to measure time?

Yes, a Simple Harmonic Motion Pendulum can be used as a timekeeping device. This is because the period of the pendulum is constant and can be used to accurately measure time. In fact, many clocks and watches use a pendulum mechanism to keep time.

What are some real-life applications of Simple Harmonic Motion Pendulums?

Simple Harmonic Motion Pendulums have many practical applications in our daily lives. Some examples include metronomes, grandfather clocks, and playground swings. They are also used in seismometers to measure earthquakes, and in some types of machinery to control the timing of movements.