Simple harmonic motion solved for time

In summary, the conversation discussed a problem involving a particle performing simple harmonic motion with given parameters. The goal was to find the time at which the particle first reaches a position of +0.3m. The relevant equations and an attempt at a solution were provided, but a math error occurred due to incorrect use of x in the equation and a calculator set to degrees instead of radians. The correct approach would be to use the given position of 0.3m in the equation and set the calculator to radians.
MaxBicknell

Homework Statement

A particle of mass 0.50 kg performs simple harmonic motion along the x-axis with amplitude 0.55m and period 4.3 seconds. The initial displacement of the particle is -0.30 m and it is traveling in the positive x-direction. The phase constant of the motion (Φ) = -2.15 rad. Find the time at which the particle first reaches x = +0.3m.
Relevant equations:

Homework Equations

x(t) = Acos(ωt + Φ)
f = 1/T = 0.2326 Hz
ω = 2πf = 1.4612 rad/s

The Attempt at a Solution

Rearrange for t:
t = [arccos(x/A) - Φ]/ω
t = [arccos(0.6/0.55) + 2.15]/1.4612
This is giving me a maths error because arccos(x > 1) does't exist, but 0.6m is the total displacement.
Even when I use 0.3 as my measurement for x I get a ridiculous value for t:

t = [arccos(0.3/0.55) + 2.15]/1.4612
t = 40.4423 s

Not sure where I'm going wrong. Any help would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
MaxBicknell said:
A particle of mass 0.50 kg performs simple harmonic motion along the x-axis with amplitude 0.55m and period 4.3 seconds. The initial displacement of the particle is -0.30 m and it is traveling in the positive x-direction. The phase constant of the motion (Φ) = -2.15 rad. Find the time at which the particle first reaches x = +0.3m.
Relevant equations:

x(t) = Acos(ωt + Φ)
f = 1/T = 0.2326 Hz
ω = 2πf = 1.4612 rad/s​

My attempt:

Rearrange for t:
t = [arccos(x/A) - Φ]/ω
This is giving me a maths error because arccos(x > 1) does't exist, but 0.6m is the total displacement.

t = 40.4423 s​

Where did the 0.6 for the displacement come from? The initial displacement was given as -0.3 m.

ehild said:
Where did the 0.6 for the displacement come from? The initial displacement was given as -0.3 m.

If the initial displacement is -0.3m and I am measuring the time to get to 0.3m, should x not be 0.6m?

MaxBicknell said:

Homework Statement

Relevant equations:

Homework Equations

[/B]
x(t) = Acos(ωt + Φ)​
f = 1/T = 0.2326 Hz
ω = 2πf = 1.4612 rad/s

The Attempt at a Solution

Rearrange for t:
t = [arccos(x/A) - Φ]/ω

t = 40.4423 s​

A) You *have* to use x=0.3 meter. This equation gives the position as a function of time, it does not give a displacement as function of time.

B) Your calculator must be un radians to get the correct inverse cos.

nrqed said:
A) You *have* to use x=0.3 meter. This equation gives the position as a function of time, it does not give a displacement as function of time.

B) Your calculator must be un radians to get the correct inverse cos.
Many thanks, turns out I'm just an idiot who doesn't know how to work a calculator.

MaxBicknell said:
If the initial displacement is -0.3m and I am measuring the time to get to 0.3m, should x not be 0.6m?
No. x is displacement with respect to the origin. Better to refer it as 'position'. You know that x=Acos(wt+Φ)=0.3. w, A, and Φ are given, you can find t, but yes, set the calculator to RAD.

Related to Simple harmonic motion solved for time

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion where an object moves back and forth in a regular pattern around a central equilibrium point. The motion is caused by a restoring force that is proportional to the displacement of the object from the equilibrium point.

2. How is simple harmonic motion solved for time?

To solve for time in simple harmonic motion, we use the equation T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period of the motion, m is the mass of the object, and k is the spring constant. This equation can also be rearranged to solve for the frequency or angular frequency of the motion.

3. What factors affect the time period of simple harmonic motion?

The time period of simple harmonic motion is affected by the mass of the object, the spring constant, and the amplitude of the motion. A higher mass or spring constant will result in a longer time period, while a larger amplitude will result in a shorter time period.

4. How is simple harmonic motion related to circular motion?

Simple harmonic motion can be thought of as a projection of circular motion onto a straight line. This means that the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of an object in simple harmonic motion can be described using equations similar to those used to describe circular motion.

5. What are some real-life examples of simple harmonic motion?

Some common examples of simple harmonic motion include the swinging of a pendulum, the back and forth motion of a mass on a spring, and the vibrations of a guitar string. Other examples include the motion of a child on a swing, the motion of a car's suspension system, and the motion of a diving board.